• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (4 Viewers)

What a fabulous day Phil and some brilliant photos too.

Some migration today including a couple of Honey buzzard.
I’m going to the Cap Saturday and Sunday but due to other commitments, I can’t get there early.
Still, the main action is normally after ten so I’m hoping for two great days.
Honey buzzard is one of the most sought-after here, they really are top birds. They come is all kinds of morphs too, the chocolate one being my favourite.
Bring it on,
Mike

I had one more try this morning at finding the Red Backed Shrike at Mortitx. I drew a blank, I think its moved on.

Thunder and rain was forecast for today so I made off to the Albufera next, where I would be able to shelter in the hides. As it turned out I managed to avoid the rain anyway,
The Pacific Golden Plover was still on view in the field at Sa Roca. There were quite a few Brit birders around and so I pointed out where to see it, they were all quite pleased. I spent a while getting a photo of it with a view of it`s missing left foot and sure enough there is round stump where the foot should be. I watched the bird walking around for a while and it appeared to be fine, not even a limp. I get the impression that this isn't a recent injury.

The variety and number of birds on view at the Albufera was excellent today, Its really picked up. There were also a lot more birders around, various nationalities, all of whom seem to speak very good English.
Some of today`s notable birds: Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Kingfisher, Purple Swamp Hen, Spotted and Common Redshank, Greenshank, Flamingo, Squacco heron, Lesser Black Backed Gull (not mature), Slender Billed Gull, Purple Heron, Gt White Egret, Whimbrel, Stone Curlew, lots of Shoveller and Teal.
And of course the variety and number of birds will continue to increase as we move further into Autumn.

Cheers
Phil Akers.
An excellent day Phil! (Great photos too)

A late update but may be of interest:

Wednesday 13th was our last day on Mallorca and I had booked a ferry to take us out to the National Park of Sa Dragonera from Sant Elm on a quest for Eleonora's. A twenty minute crossing (cost 15Euro & 1Euro tax) brought us to Cala Lledo and a quick briefing from one of the Park Rangers. We had two choices - a 90 minute round-trip to the lighthouse on the south of the island and the largest colony of Eleonora's, or a 45 minute return trip to the north and the second largest. I of course cajoled my wife into taking the long trek, but after less than five minutes we had already had our first sighting so I relented and we returned and made the easier journey. As soon as we got near the cliffs on the northern side of the island the falcons were and almost constant presence overhead. From the viewpoint just before the lighthouse at Cap de Tramuntana we were able to watch them overhead, at eye-level and swooping around the cliffs below. Impossible to quantify but the most in view at any time was eight birds, and we must have seen a couple of dozen at least. (The very helpful Ranger said a recent survey had established just under 80 breeding pairs).
The island is also home to and endemic subspecies of Lilford's Wall Lizard Podarcis lilfordi giglio for any herping enthusiasts. These are eminently approachable and actively seek out people looking for food (although I should stress feeding them is prohibited). Photo below.IMG_3436cL.JPG
After a delicious lunch in Sant Elm we headed back to Pollensa and I headed out again for a last spin around S'Albufera. Brief visits to S'Amarador and Deporadura yielded nothing out of the ordinary birdwise, but I did get my first Celina's Blue of the year. On the way back to Pollensa I had a brief glimpse of what looked like a Red-legged Partridge - is that possible?

Anyway a fantastic visit to Mallorca yielding three lifers with only Moltoni's left behind (but you always have to have a reason to return!). I would like to thank everybody involved for the wealth of information here, and especially Mike for being the gel behind it all. I will continue to visit here with immense interest, and wish 'good birding' to all!

Chris

Red-legged partridge very common on Mallorca Chris so there’s little doubt about that one!

I was at the Cap today as usual.
A group of 16 Bee-eaters was nice, they flew out to sea.
After a long wait, another group of 72 came by, making a lot of noise as they went.
They moved off west but soon dropped down low and settled in the coastal shrubs.
On the way back up the road I spotted three raptors circling above the car.
After screeching to a halt, I got out and confirmed my suspicions.
Three glorious Honey buzzard, but they were gaining height and by the time I got my camera out, they were far away. One was definitely an adult.
I will be there tomorrow, that’s for sure.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7607.jpeg
    DSCN7607.jpeg
    625.7 KB · Views: 5
Red-legged partridge very common on Mallorca Chris so there’s little doubt about that one!

Mike
Thanks Mike,

I was pretty sure but my listing software (Scythebill, which is usually spot on) said it wasn't present on the Balearics so wanted to check.

Enjoy the Bee-eaters, going over our house in their hundreds at the moment, and will be for the next couple of weeks. Pleased you got the Honey Buzzards too!

Chris

I woke early this morning and got straight out into the field. I started at Maristany where Nick’s Marsh Sandpiper was still there (many thanks for posting Nick). From the viewing point on the track corner it was at the back and as far left as you can see. Occasionally it walked left and out of sight!

I moved on to the Albufera and sneaked in early, aiming to miss the weekend crowds. The Pacific Golden Plover was still at Sa Roca. There were two adult and a juvenile Purple Gallinule on the scrape, also two Snipe, a Common Redshank, two Spotted Redshanks and a few Little Ringed and Kentish Plovers.

There were four Red-knobbed Coot, and a Reed Warbler still feeding a fledged young on the way to the Es Cibollar hides. Several Flamingoes were on view, including the French ringed KAJA. From Es Cibollar II there was a Whimbrell, five Greenshank, 25+ Spotted Redshanks, 40+ Black-winged Stilts, and some Green and Common Sandpipers.

I had three Kingfishers around the reserve, good views of a Moustached Warbler along the Ses Puntes track and heard a Reed Bunting on my second visit to Sa Roca. Unfortunately my efforts to pin it down were thwarted when a noisy family entered the hide.

There were swifts and hirundines (including a few House Martins) over the fields along Son Bosc. The Depuradora produced two Wood Sandpipers, a chiffchaff, 6 Glossy Ibises,15+ Black-headed Gulls, a group of 25+ Common Starlings, a Booted Eagle, several Sand Martins. Four Red Kites caused a bit of mayhem, scaring at least 28 little grebes onto the open water. A Hoopoe and a juvenile Woodchat Shrike were on the field and fence behind the viewing platform.

At S’Amarador among the Gadwalls and Coots there was a Red-crested Pochard and a Great-crested Grebe. A group of about 12 Yellow Wagtails burst out of the reeds and flew off over the platform.

At Sa Font there were two more Kingfishers, and several good dragonflies including Norfolk Hawker, 6+ Violet Dropwings, 4+ Keeled Skimmers, an Emperor and a Black-tailed Skimmer.

I walked past the orchards in yet another failed attempt to find Common Waxbills.

Stew

Attachments

• 7708300E-7C70-459C-A415-CF8D73215994.jpeg
    7708300E-7C70-459C-A415-CF8D73215994.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 3AFAFE67-AD5E-4345-9BB5-BC39E461D379.jpeg
    3AFAFE67-AD5E-4345-9BB5-BC39E461D379.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 417380BC-F899-4971-92ED-6F4E86F56E98.jpeg
    417380BC-F899-4971-92ED-6F4E86F56E98.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 8B3720AA-CD40-44D4-A5FA-F686AE449065.jpeg
    8B3720AA-CD40-44D4-A5FA-F686AE449065.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 5DCFCB4E-82BD-4AF7-BCD1-CAB92EBE0DBC.jpeg
    5DCFCB4E-82BD-4AF7-BCD1-CAB92EBE0DBC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 87E8A83F-204D-4353-B5DA-C9F65E69B36D.jpeg
    87E8A83F-204D-4353-B5DA-C9F65E69B36D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
  • D9E98503-483E-44BB-B23B-947AF36B5894.jpeg
    D9E98503-483E-44BB-B23B-947AF36B5894.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 5CBD6D5E-5C52-4839-ACAF-4D9266B12589.jpeg
    5CBD6D5E-5C52-4839-ACAF-4D9266B12589.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 0BAE81BA-1733-4713-893E-73FA82BC64C6.jpeg
    0BAE81BA-1733-4713-893E-73FA82BC64C6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • F8A4FE52-9204-42DB-B69A-753013B91A82.jpeg
    F8A4FE52-9204-42DB-B69A-753013B91A82.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 353E8461-94D8-44A5-8F61-6503F83F8C85.jpeg
    353E8461-94D8-44A5-8F61-6503F83F8C85.jpeg
    853.7 KB · Views: 15

I was at the Cap today as usual.
A group of 16 Bee-eaters was nice, they flew out to sea.
After a long wait, another group of 72 came by, making a lot of noise as they went.
They moved off west but soon dropped down low and settled in the coastal shrubs.
On the way back up the road I spotted three raptors circling above the car.
After screeching to a halt, I got out and confirmed my suspicions.
Three glorious Honey buzzard, but they were gaining height and by the time I got my camera out, they were far away. One was definitely an adult.
I will be there tomorrow, that’s for sure.
Mike
So that's over eighty bee eaters and rising, Mike!

A late update but may be of interest:

Wednesday 13th was our last day on Mallorca and I had booked a ferry to take us out to the National Park of Sa Dragonera from Sant Elm on a quest for Eleonora's. A twenty minute crossing (cost 15Euro & 1Euro tax) brought us to Cala Lledo and a quick briefing from one of the Park Rangers. We had two choices - a 90 minute round-trip to the lighthouse on the south of the island and the largest colony of Eleonora's, or a 45 minute return trip to the north and the second largest. I of course cajoled my wife into taking the long trek, but after less than five minutes we had already had our first sighting so I relented and we returned and made the easier journey. As soon as we got near the cliffs on the northern side of the island the falcons were and almost constant presence overhead. From the viewpoint just before the lighthouse at Cap de Tramuntana we were able to watch them overhead, at eye-level and swooping around the cliffs below. Impossible to quantify but the most in view at any time was eight birds, and we must have seen a couple of dozen at least. (The very helpful Ranger said a recent survey had established just under 80 breeding pairs).
The island is also home to and endemic subspecies of Lilford's Wall Lizard Podarcis lilfordi giglio for any herping enthusiasts. These are eminently approachable and actively seek out people looking for food (although I should stress feeding them is prohibited). Photo below.View attachment 1532501
After a delicious lunch in Sant Elm we headed back to Pollensa and I headed out again for a last spin around S'Albufera. Brief visits to S'Amarador and Deporadura yielded nothing out of the ordinary birdwise, but I did get my first Celina's Blue of the year. On the way back to Pollensa I had a brief glimpse of what looked like a Red-legged Partridge - is that possible?

Anyway a fantastic visit to Mallorca yielding three lifers with only Moltoni's left behind (but you always have to have a reason to return!). I would like to thank everybody involved for the wealth of information here, and especially Mike for being the gel behind it all. I will continue to visit here with immense interest, and wish 'good birding' to all!

Chris

Glad you got the lilifords. I really enjoyed seeing them on Cabrera. I ended up with much better views of moltonis (again on Cabrera) than Balearic but didn’t get close to photos of either

I woke early this morning and got straight out into the field. I started at Maristany where Nick’s Marsh Sandpiper was still there (many thanks for posting Nick). From the viewing point on the track corner it was at the back and as far left as you can see. Occasionally it walked left and out of sight!

I moved on to the Albufera and sneaked in early, aiming to miss the weekend crowds. The Pacific Golden Plover was still at Sa Roca. There were two adult and a juvenile Purple Gallinule on the scrape, also two Snipe, a Common Redshank, two Spotted Redshanks and a few Little Ringed and Kentish Plovers.

There were four Red-knobbed Coot, and a Reed Warbler still feeding a fledged young on the way to the Es Cibollar hides. Several Flamingoes were on view, including the French ringed KAJA. From Es Cibollar II there was a Whimbrell, five Greenshank, 25+ Spotted Redshanks, 40+ Black-winged Stilts, and some Green and Common Sandpipers.

I had three Kingfishers around the reserve, good views of a Moustached Warbler along the Ses Puntes track and heard a Reed Bunting on my second visit to Sa Roca. Unfortunately my efforts to pin it down were thwarted when a noisy family entered the hide.

There were swifts and hirundines (including a few House Martins) over the fields along Son Bosc. The Depuradora produced two Wood Sandpipers, a chiffchaff, 6 Glossy Ibises,15+ Black-headed Gulls, a group of 25+ Common Starlings, a Booted Eagle, several Sand Martins. Four Red Kites caused a bit of mayhem, scaring at least 28 little grebes onto the open water. A Hoopoe and a juvenile Woodchat Shrike were on the field and fence behind the viewing platform.

At S’Amarador among the Gadwalls and Coots there was a Red-crested Pochard and a Great-crested Grebe. A group of about 12 Yellow Wagtails burst out of the reeds and flew off over the platform.

At Sa Font there were two more Kingfishers, and several good dragonflies including Norfolk Hawker, 6+ Violet Dropwings, 4+ Keeled Skimmers, an Emperor and a Black-tailed Skimmer.

I walked past the orchards in yet another failed attempt to find Common Waxbills.

Stew
Glad you got the Marsh Sand Stew. The Mallorca ebird reviewer isn't accepting the record as it stands. He's seen it today and has doubts! He hopes someone gets a photo!! I watched it at length through a telescope and although distant seemed a straight forward ID. Anyone else raising doubts? If not a Marsh Sand what is it? Hybrid? Or is it just the fact that a Mallorca scarce species has to be photographed to be accepted?
Nick

StewB and Kevin have both seen the bird and both say it’s 100% so I’m sure with time it will be accepted.
Kevin has a photo but they don’t have doubts even without.
It’s just a normal process that acceptance take a while sometimes as it’s very thorough.
I will keep you posted.
Mike

Glad you got the Marsh Sand Stew. The Mallorca ebird reviewer isn't accepting the record as it stands. He's seen it today and has doubts! He hopes someone gets a photo!! I watched it at length through a telescope and although distant seemed a straight forward ID. Anyone else raising doubts? If not a Marsh Sand what is it? Hybrid? Or is it just the fact that a Mallorca scarce species has to be photographed to be accepted?
Nick
I don’t know what there is to doubt? It was too far away to photograph with my bridge camera but ‘scope views were fine - especially so early, in the absence of heat haze.

It was a straightforward ID. It’s a bird I’m familiar with from numerous UK examples and on foreign trips (I’ve even seen one previously in Mallorca!). I’m surprised that anyone who saw it well enough is expressing doubt, but maybe they’re just staying on the safe side.

Stew

Glad you got the lilifords. I really enjoyed seeing them on Cabrera. I ended up with much better views of moltonis (again on Cabrera) than Balearic but didn’t get close to photos of either
Thanks Owen! Had already seen Lilford's on an island off Menorca last year but a different subspecies.

Chris

A good morning at the Cap with many locals in attendance.
I was hoping there would be the usual count so I didn’t bother but I can’t find any totals.
A few Marsh harrier went through as did a good number of Honey buzzard.
Double figures I think but I will post numbers when I get them.
Loads of Barn swallows, impossible to count as they do constant circuits before the “off”. but certainly over 100.
Good groups of Bee-eaters. The first group of 9 went directly out to sea, whereas, most others go west before leaving.
Much larger groups were seen later on.
Sweltering it was though, very humid.
Mike

After dropping Mrs B in Pollenca for the market, I drove round and parked on the dirt car park at the Roman Bridge ready to walk up the Ternelles approach road.

The walk up produced Cirl Bunting, Blue Tit, Firecrest, Blackcap and a calling Wryneck.

I arrived at my viewpoint about 100m before the security gates just after 10 o’clock. Vultures were already soaring high above - I counted 26 together of which only four were definite Black Vultures, the rest were Griffons. Over the course of the next 20 minutes or so another eight Griffons and 10 Black drifted in. There were then vultures on view for the rest of my 40 minute stay. During my stay there were also 11 Swifts, a Booted Eagle, 8+ Crag Martins, two Ravens, a Red Kite and a Garden Warbler.

On my walk up there were no dragonflies on the roadside pools. On the way back down things had got going. On the higher of the roadside pools I saw two male Orange-winged Dropwings, a male Violet Dropwing and four male Broad Scarlets. On the lower “double pool” there were two more Orange-winged Dropwings, at least two Violet Dropwings, at least two Broad Scarlets and a male Emperor. At both sites there seemed to be an incumbent territorial male O-w Dropwing which saw off another visiting male on several occasions.

After collecting Mrs B we went for tea and cake on the terrace at the Hotel Llaniere (very posh!). There were four Bee Eaters hawking around just off the terrace, and several Lang’s Short-tailed Blue butterflies on the flowering rosemary.

Stew

Attachments

• 29484351-30DF-45C3-8E2D-1B0201594C24.jpeg
    29484351-30DF-45C3-8E2D-1B0201594C24.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 4CD9463D-F40B-4886-95B0-4749075C3055.jpeg
    4CD9463D-F40B-4886-95B0-4749075C3055.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 052B269D-0525-46A0-97C3-4DF9D4D3E89D.jpeg
    052B269D-0525-46A0-97C3-4DF9D4D3E89D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 4FBF330D-65B2-43F3-AD74-BBB7AD85CE08.jpeg
    4FBF330D-65B2-43F3-AD74-BBB7AD85CE08.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Hi all

Finally arrived on the island, first day out tomorrow. A couple of questions if I may, where is Maristany? When I do a Google search for it, it comes up with Barcelona, and, where are the Spotless Starlings? Hopefully I'll bump into some of you over the coming week.
Many thanks, Steve

Hi all

Finally arrived on the island, first day out tomorrow. A couple of questions if I may, where is Maristany? When I do a Google search for it, it comes up with Barcelona, and, where are the Spotless Starlings? Hopefully I'll bump into some of you over the coming week.
Many thanks, Steve
Steve Maristany is behind Lidl in Alcudia. Look for the track to the immediate right of the supermarket. You can drive up there and park. The best place for spotless starlings is on the roof of the house Pins 16 on the left as you go on the track inland from can Cuarassa restaurant (currently closed) off the Port de Pollenca- Alcudia road.

Attachments

• 132B051D-0D19-478E-A898-B67E50CF2AC5.png
    132B051D-0D19-478E-A898-B67E50CF2AC5.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 64403FB8-5BE8-4E90-B431-F97EAF066521.png
    64403FB8-5BE8-4E90-B431-F97EAF066521.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
Steve Maristany is behind Lidl in Alcudia. Look for the track to the immediate right of the supermarket. You can drive up there and park. The best place for spotless starlings is on the roof of the house Pins 16 on the left as you go on the track inland from can Cuarassa restaurant (currently closed) off the Port de Pollenca- Alcudia road.
Excellent, thanks for the info, will fit in nicely tomorrow hopefully 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back