• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (4 Viewers)

Tris a further update to Hugh M post 339 regarding Scops Owl. I am a regular visitor and own a property in Gotmar. I have, very ocassionally, heard them calling here and in the nearby Siller area. Both are on the edge of Port de Pollenca. My best sighting was a a couple of years ago when one was sat on an overhead wire in Gotmar, just behind Aries and Rosa Blanca bars. It was perched next to what was Stefanos restaurant at about 9pm. We disturbed it and it flew about 20 yards down the street and perched again. As we approached it repeated this move once again. We watched it for a few minutes and decided to leave it in peace. I’ve not seen one since then. Interestingly we also have 2 barns owls very close by. I’m back again in 10 days time and will be looking out for them. Good luck.
Thanks Hugh and Dave for further info. Arriving on the 13th and looking forward to some good birding!

Today at Punta de n'Amer, Cala Millor: hundreds of shearwaters heading north at sunrise (too far out to i.d.), at least two singing Nightingale and 1 female Common Redstart.

3 Hoopoe on the hotel lawn at 9.30 brightened my morning, especially the pair who were involved in some very cute courtship feeding.

Happy birding, Andrew.

I headed out this morning for a day`s birding, blue sky and sunshine, perfect.
First stop Des Pols at the back of the Albufera, hoping for a species that has so far eluded me, Waxbill. My friends Kevin and Geordie Dave have both seen them at this location. Apparently there is a small breeding colony there but once more, no luck.
Next spot, just around the corner almost, the viewing tower at S`Amarador. Very little to see, a single male Gadwall on the water and a Great Reed Warbler somewhere in the reeds belting out his raucous call . In the surrounding fields there were a few Yellow Wagtails and a couple of Red Legged Partridges.
At the Bus Depot at Son Bosc next to see the Tree Sparrows. As long as I stay in the car they`re happy to perch on the fence and be photographed. and so it was. I think I might be developing a Tree Sparrow addiction.
I stopped a couple of times along the lane leading to the Depuradora and I found a female Reed Bunting.
At the Depuradora there were Common Terns, BW Stilts, Common and Green Sandpipers, a Nightingale singing, a Ruff, BH Gulls. But best of all. there was a Collared Pratincole on one of the rafts. I was hoping that it might up and fly around , they're so graceful, but it stayed put on the raft.
On to the Albufera. I only managed to find a single Night Heron in the canal side roost, I suppose that's because it`s now the breeding season and they have to become diurnal.
At the Sa Roca lagoon there were Red Crested Pochard, Shelduck, a few Teal, 3 Squabbling Purple Swamp Hens. Mallard , and lots of Little Ringed Plovers.
The 2 Es Cibollar hides had plenty of Avocets and BW Stilts, Common Terns, 2 Stone Curlews on the large island and Kentish Plovers.
I made the effort and walked down to the Es Columbars hide. Lots of Common Pochards, Flamingos and most of the birds that had been seen at the other hides. There were also 6 Spotted Redshanks and 3 Greenshanks way over to the left, close by where the Cormorant usually perch.
On my way home I called in at the Albufereta. Viewed from the hide there were lots of Flamingos, BW Stilts and Kentish Plovers but nothing else of note. A walk around the mound produced a couple of Corn Buntings .
Another great day`s birding around the wetlands of northern Mallorca.
Cheers Phil A

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0121 (1).JPG
    IMG_0121 (1).JPG
    661.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    743.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    632.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0136 (1).JPG
    IMG_0136 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0192 (1).JPG
    IMG_0192 (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0196 (1).JPG
    IMG_0196 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
Great photos as usual Phil.
Thanks for sharing them.
No other news today
Out tomorrow with Philip Garnett starting at Cap de Ses Salines and then onto the salt pans so I’m expecting great things.
Mike

I headed out this morning for a day`s birding, blue sky and sunshine, perfect.
First stop Des Pols at the back of the Albufera, hoping for a species that has so far eluded me, Waxbill. My friends Kevin and Geordie Dave have both seen them at this location. Apparently there is a small breeding colony there but once more, no luck.
Next spot, just around the corner almost, the viewing tower at S`Amarador. Very little to see, a single male Gadwall on the water and a Great Reed Warbler somewhere in the reeds belting out his raucous call . In the surrounding fields there were a few Yellow Wagtails and a couple of Red Legged Partridges.
At the Bus Depot at Son Bosc next to see the Tree Sparrows. As long as I stay in the car they`re happy to perch on the fence and be photographed. and so it was. I think I might be developing a Tree Sparrow addiction.
I stopped a couple of times along the lane leading to the Depuradora and I found a female Reed Bunting.
At the Depuradora there were Common Terns, BW Stilts, Common and Green Sandpipers, a Nightingale singing, a Ruff, BH Gulls. But best of all. there was a Collared Pratincole on one of the rafts. I was hoping that it might up and fly around , they're so graceful, but it stayed put on the raft.
On to the Albufera. I only managed to find a single Night Heron in the canal side roost, I suppose that's because it`s now the breeding season and they have to become diurnal.
At the Sa Roca lagoon there were Red Crested Pochard, Shelduck, a few Teal, 3 Squabbling Purple Swamp Hens. Mallard , and lots of Little Ringed Plovers.
The 2 Es Cibollar hides had plenty of Avocets and BW Stilts, Common Terns, 2 Stone Curlews on the large island and Kentish Plovers.
I made the effort and walked down to the Es Columbars hide. Lots of Common Pochards, Flamingos and most of the birds that had been seen at the other hides. There were also 6 Spotted Redshanks and 3 Greenshanks way over to the left, close by where the Cormorant usually perch.
On my way home I called in at the Albufereta. Viewed from the hide there were lots of Flamingos, BW Stilts and Kentish Plovers but nothing else of note. A walk around the mound produced a couple of Corn Buntings .
Another great day`s birding around the wetlands of northern Mallorca.
Cheers Phil A
Phil, I’ve seen waxbills at the sluice at the eastern(ish) end of the Cami des Pols, but the most reliable area for me has been the orchards opposite the buildings a bit further along the road, where they’re often given away by their calls. Even so, I don’t get them on every visit.

Stew

My visiting daughter and granddaughter had to go out shopping today, which meant I had the morning off and could sneak down to the Salobrar for a couple of hours' birding before breakfast. A chilly start at about 7.30, fortunately warming up later on, and the ponds were full of bird life, including ten ruff, a lonely grey plover and several spotted redshank in their darker plumage. There was also the strange sight of a group of about 50 avocets in a tight circle, revolving around a central point, their heads under water, with one avocet standing by and apparently supervising proceedings. They were still at it nearly an hour later when I returned along the path. Some sort of technique to stir up the mud and get at edibles?

Mallorca-230411-2-dng_DxO.jpg Mallorca-230411-7-dng_DxO.jpg Mallorca-230411-23-dng_DxO.jpg Mallorca-230411-26-dng_DxO.jpg

RFI.

Really pleased to see the collared pratincole today but no sign of the/any whiskered tern. Today Miguel Castello reported 8 on eBird there this pm. Is/ has the WT been seen from the viewing platform or is there another lsettling tank nearby that I am not aware of? Phil (am) and myself (lunchtime) only saw common tern. (My first ever visit to the site today)

Secondly, this week have driven down the Can Cuirassa track a couple of times to try for spotless starlings. Again reported on eBird today. Are they breeding in/on someone’s property cos that makes viewing rather awkward😬?!

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Last edited:
RFI.

Really pleased to see the collared pratincole today but no sign of the/any whiskered tern. Today Miguel Castello reported 8 on eBird there this pm. Is/ has the WT been seen from the viewing platform or is there another lsettling tank nearby that I am not aware of? Phil (am) and myself (lunchtime) only saw common tern. (My first ever visit to the site today)

Secondly, this week have driven down the Can Cuirassa track a couple of times to try for spotless starlings. Again reported on eBird today. Are they breeding in/on someone’s property cos that makes viewing rather awkward😬?!

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
The spotless starlings seem to be breeding around the villa called Pins 16, one of the first properties on the left at the end of the long straight of the Ca’n Cuarassa track. Unfortunately the high fence and gates make it difficult to view the garden, but the birds can be quite active and are often on the villa roof. I don’t know if he’s there this year, but when I’ve visited the previous two years one of the birds did a really good golden oriole impression which initially had me searching frantically for a yellow and black songster!

Stew

Thanks for that Stew. Connected mid am at number 16!! 4 spot starling seen on the roof, nest building.🙂

Another early doors start.
The Collared Practincole still at the Depuradora along with 8 Whiskered Tern plus drake garganey and 2 putative drake Ferruginous Duck, (another cracking digishot!!)

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The forecast was for 21 degrees and full sun all day.
I have learnt never to trust such predictions so I had three layers and a coat for early doors at the Cap this morning.
I’m glad I did, it was grey and over cast with a stiff, cool breeze.
I was joined by Phil G. and a bit later, to my surprise and delight, by Clive.
It was so good to see him after what seems like a very long time.
Ace photographer Clive brought his usual vast selection of camera equipment so I hope he is able to share some results on here.
In the meantime, a few of my efforts will have to do.
It was a pretty disappointing day, especially as a female Marsh harrier came in-off the sea first thing. I thought we were in for a great day of migration but there was little evidence of movement.
Clive soon spotted a Wheatear and both he and Phil went in pursuit whilst I guarded the gear.
They came back with a total of 3 newly arrived Wheatear, 2 males and a female.
Lots of shearwaters of course but nothing else out there.
We stopped at passage 5 but the rewards were skinny. Just a group of 10 Cattle egret, Thekla and Short-toed larks and a Red kite.
On to the salt pans and the weather perked up a bit so off came the coats and on went the wellies.
Lots of Avocets, Flamingoes, Marsh harrier and Shelduck. The sky was adorned with a constant movement of Barn swallow and Common swift.
We saw Redshank and Greenshank and a lovely Spanish wagtail showed off quite close by.
Phil picked out a tern species which later was confirmed as Whiskered.
At the Es Trenc road, again there was little of note. Phil saw a Woodchat and a Turtle dove and there were about 6 Little stint and lots of Kentish plover.
Also, the Whiskered tern paid a return visit to confirm its identity.
All in all, a reasonable day with excellent company.
Mike

Attachments

• 3E75E02A-F9E4-40BD-B204-E528B3E7CB03.jpeg
    3E75E02A-F9E4-40BD-B204-E528B3E7CB03.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 9C89457B-45ED-494C-8B41-15AA8C39D782.jpeg
    9C89457B-45ED-494C-8B41-15AA8C39D782.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • A478E35F-EB22-4498-8D47-7DC6F8AD6DDE.jpeg
    A478E35F-EB22-4498-8D47-7DC6F8AD6DDE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thanks for the update Chris.
A big fall of migrants today.
Why couldn’t that have happened yesterday?
Whitethroat, Willow warblers, Pied flycatcher, Tree pipit, Whinchat, Balearic flycatcher, Sub-alpine warblers, Bonelli’s warbler and some Bee-eaters.
Thanks to Jason who is obviously having a good time logging the various species.
Mike

Yesterday, walking with friends, plus our 2 dogs Molly and Dave, from Son Baulo to Son Serra de Marina and back.
This is our favourite coastal walk, the scenery is gorgeous and there`s always a chance of finding a few nice birds.
I was hoping for a Northern Wheatear or maybe a Tawny Pipit. No joy with the Wheatear but I found 5 Tawny Pipits. There were also, 4 Turnstones, about 20 Kentish Plovers, several of which appeared to be paired up, Kestrel, Red Kite, Theklas Lark and of course Stone Chats and Audouins Gulls.
Maybe next time for the wheatear ?
Cheers Phil A.

Attachments

• IMG_0263 (1).JPG
    IMG_0263 (1).JPG
    925 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back