• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (4 Viewers)

Message for sdhearn who sent me a personal message. It says replies are closed so I can only respond on here.
Steve is staying in Palma old town and asks for birding locations near there.
I know that Belver castle is good, there are some Blue tits (which aren’t that easy in Mallorca). Blue rock thrush and Crag martins.
A walk along the prom at Palma is always worth a go although winter is probably better.
Looking out to sea always produces something of interest.
If anyone can suggest other areas of interest, then please post on here.
I know that Robin has been reported from some of the Palma parks, a very rare breeder.
Have a great time Steve, so glad you made it back here after a four year absence.
Have fun.
Mike

Well we are not far from being on the Island hopefully in 24 hours we will be there. Five days near S'Albufera if you see a fat bloke dragging his knuckles along the paths its me, please say hello, I don't bite.

From next Monday we will be in PP so if you are around Dave we will even buy you a pint :)

T&C

A lot of activity today with a couple of Rollers being reported and I hope Geordie David reports too as he had a great day I think.
Tim &Jo found 6 Bee-eaters at their usual location, on wires above the electricity sub-station at Son Bosc, on the way down to the depuradora, Albufera.
Jason saw two White-winged black terns at Salobrar de Campos, a very nice find.
Also, a few reports of Bonelli’s warblers and Willow warblers.
A couple of Whinchat too.
Mike

I’m trying to find out about turtles jurek as I know nothing.
I remember seeing one out at sea whilst sailing. I was told it was a leather-back but I don’t think the skipper knew any more than me frankly.
Mike

I was waiting in a car park in s’Alqueria Blanca this morning whilst my wife had some procedure at the hairdressers.
I didn’t ask.
I got out of the car for a scan round the fields and I was warmly greeted by the unmistakable and flutey sound of several Golden orioles, calling from a nearby mulberry tree.
Golden orioles seem to favour mulberry in spring and I’m told they like fig trees in autumn.
They were calling constantly and I managed several recordings.
I don’t think videos work on this forum but I will give it a bash.
One bird can be seen flying through but I think there were 4 maybe 5 birds present. Three flew off and they were still calling from the original tree so that’s a definite 4.
Feeling very happy, I drove off to Inca and blow me, another Golden oriole flew right in front of the car a few miles down the road.
Buses come to mind.
I drove back through Maria de La Salut and I saw one Red-footed falcon flying north. It was not an adult male sadly.
Mike.
That’s a great days work Mike. Video just a lot of crackle but nice view of trees!
Working our way south and now staying just inland from Portocristo.
Hotels grounds are really good. Loads of hoopoe, serin, flycatchers,calling wryneck and a very nice partridge in a pear tree.
Also a resident Stone Curlew. ( oops , need to be pc…Eurasian thick knee)
Went to punta d,amer but not much to report. Added a song thrush to the list and a few pink tourists.
Heading inland tomorrow to scout out the farm fields.
Sorry forgot to mention the very nice booted that came down to survey our supper on our terrace.
JM

Today was the last day of an almost 4 weeks visit and I return to Newcastle in the morning. I spent the day with Peter S starting at Albufera and working our way back to Port de Pollenca via Albufereta and Can Cuarassa. Water levels are low at Albufera particularly at Cibollar 1 hide. We saw the usual suspects with plenty of avocets and black winged stilts, glossy ibis, several purple swamp hen, a dozen or more red crested pochard and 2 stone curlew close to Sa Roca hide. We then went on to Ses Pardes hide and heard 2 or 3 great reed warblers calling. As we watched from the hide we picked up a high and distant group of 25 or more birds. It took a while for them to lose height and get closer and we soon realised they were all Eleonoras falcon feeding over the reeds. They seemed to be making their way north, perhaps to breeding grounds at Formentor. A walk up to the power station hide , Columbars, produced very little else but we did find 2 recently fledged black winged stilts running along the track with their agitated parents trying to chase us away. We enjoyed a walk around the mound at Albufereta and a look on Sa Barcassa pond from the hide. There are nesting common terns, avocets and black winged stilts and we did see a great white egret and a purple heron. The mound itself produced the regular corn buntings, Cetti’s and fantailed warblers. As in previous visits there were 2 stone curlews in the cultivated garden at the finca. On to Can Cuarassa and a walk down the lane. There was a roller, a whinchat, more stone curlews, 2 spotless starlings in the usual garden but no golden oriole. Time to head to Rosa Blanca for a couple of pints and to tot up the totals for the day. 52 species seen and 4 heard was not a bad return. I’ve managed 135 species in the trip, added 38 to my year list and 4 to my all time Mallorca list since I first visited in 2018. My overall impression is that biding has been quiet and I’m not sure whether migration is late or whether the long spell of settled weather has meant birds have passed through Mallorca without staying. Highlights have been roller, golden oriole, lesser kestrels, common cuckoo, white stork, slender billed gulls and montagus harrier. A thoroughly enjoyable visit and great to catch up with my birding pals. The very kind offer of free beer will have to wait until I come back in mid June for a little over 2 weeks. Until then…..

Fantastic day at Mortitx yesterday, Black Kite on the drive up and a couple of Wryneck calling as we walked down to the vineyards followed by close views of a beautiful Cirl Bunting. Almost made it to the Refugi and on the way back 2 Black Vultures flew overhead, then a stunning Bonelli's Eagle and a fly past through the valley from an Eleanora's Falcon.
Called into the Bodega for a couple of bottles of Mortitx Blanc to round off an excellent morning's birding.

Message for sdhearn who sent me a personal message. It says replies are closed so I can only respond on here.
Steve is staying in Palma old town and asks for birding locations near there.
I know that Belver castle is good, there are some Blue tits (which aren’t that easy in Mallorca). Blue rock thrush and Crag martins.
A walk along the prom at Palma is always worth a go although winter is probably better.
Looking out to sea always produces something of interest.
If anyone can suggest other areas of interest,
Hi Mike,Steve
I always have been lucky with breeding peregrines on cathedral in Palma. I prefer to get out to Garden City where some good waders, gulls, etc have been seen

Hi guys I don't know if any of you are butterfly guys but I wondered if Mediterranean Skipper was present on the Island? My visit seems to be panning out as a half day in Palma to look for Ibiza wall lizard and a look around the parks for any insects then up to Puerto Pollensa where i'll be staying on the outskirts of town but hopefully will get to wander around a bit during the stay. Two days out with Mallorca Nature tours taking in Cabrera, Son Real and Albufera.

Really looking forward to it.

Edit

Also I'll be catching a bus too and from Palma to PP which seems to be very cheap and regular. Can you just pay on the bus itself or will I need to go to a ticket office?
Mrs B and I caught the bus from Puerto Pollenca to Palma (and back of course) in June last year. We paid on the bus (quite straightforwardly) using debit cards and got a 50% fare reduction for doing so.

I believe that the reduction was part of a response to the cost of living crisis (there was also a 10% “discount” on petrol at the time), so I don’t know if it still applies.

Stew

A very early start this morning to take a friend to Palma airport, but I decided to reward myself and have a quiet half-an-hour birding before breakfast down the Es Trenc road – only to be greeted by a roped-off area where I usually park. Presumably to stop people in camper vans spending the night there, so an understandable measure, but nonetheless highly irritating!:mad:

IMG_3480.JPG

A couple more Rollers have been seen and Pep saw two Knot in breeding plumage at the salt pans.
By the time I arrived, one of the Rollers was nowhere to be seen and later the Knot seemed to have moved on.
A double dip then.
Still, it was nice to meet Bigyear leader Toni S. there.
He is setting the bar very high this year, no doubt aided by his recent retirement.
Mike

I began yesterday`s trip out at Can Cuarassa, I hadn't been there for a while and I was wondering if I could find a Spotless Starling. I drove up the badly rutted lane and parked outside outside the closed and shuttered house where the Spotless Starlings always seem to be around. Within minutes 3 birds landed on the roof but only very briefly. After another short wait a single bird flew in and landed on the roof and lingered a while, enabling me to get a couple of decent photos. a good start to the day.
Driving back down the lane I spotted a raptor in the sky and pulled over to take a look. There were 2 Eleonoras Falcons gliding around, so graceful, really elegant birds. And a very welcome year tick for me. I then made my way down to the nearby hide, not a bird to be seen, although there were lots of beautiful wild flowers and butterflies, including 2 Swallowtails and a Monarch. Walking back to the car I scanned the power cables and found a Roller. It was distant but unmistakeable, the best view of one that I`ve had to date.
Next stop the Albufera. Walking along, nearing the visitor centre I heard Reed and Moustached Warblers singing. I checked out the 3 Sa Roca hides, the water level was very low and so there weren't the usual numbers of birds present. However there were Purple Swamp hens, Red Crested Pochards, Avocets, Little Ringed Plovers, Kentish Plovers, a Purple Heron flyby, 6 Glossy Ibis, Common Terns, 3 Marsh Harriers, BW Stilts,
Although I knew that the water level would also be low at the 2 Es Cibollar hides I decided to check them out. However, as I walked over the main canal bridge I bumped into Geordie Dave and Peter Shaw. They were returning from the Cibollar hides where they said that the birds on show were pretty much the same that I had just seen at the Sa Roca hides, so I gave it a miss.
I decided to make a last visit to the Albufereta on my way home. Just before reaching the Sa Barcassa hide I scanned the orchard to the left. There was a Stone Curlew tucked into the hedge at the back and flitting between the fruit trees was a Flycatcher which appeared to have a fairly dark breast. This of course could denote Spotted flycatcher rather than Mediterranean. I tried to get a reasonable photo which would have helped. But it was too quick for me as it kept moving further toward the back of the orchard.
At the Hide there were Common Terns, 10 Flamingos, Avocets, BW Stilts, Kentish and Little Ringed Plovers and 2 Common Sandpipers. A walk around the Mound found plenty of Corn Buntings and a couple of Yellow Wagtails. I took a few photos of what I had assumed to be was a Tawny Pipit, but when I got home I realised that it was a Greater Short toed Lark. A pleasant surprise, I`d never managed to get a decent photo of one before.
(I`ve actually added a couple of other photos of Med Flycatcher and Bee Eater which I took in my garden a couple of days ago)
Yet another wonderful day out wandering around Mallorca`s beautiful countryside in search of birds. And only a 20 minute drive home.
Cheers Phil A.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    710.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    541.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0850.JPG
    IMG_0850.JPG
    500.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0960 (1).JPG
    IMG_0960 (1).JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0966 (1).JPG
    IMG_0966 (1).JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    964 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
A couple more Rollers have been seen and Pep saw two Knot in breeding plumage at the salt pans.
By the time I arrived, one of the Rollers was nowhere to be seen and later the Knot seemed to have moved on.
A double dip then.
Still, it was nice to meet Bigyear leader Toni S. there.
He is setting the bar very high this year, no doubt aided by his recent retirement.
Mike
Hi Mike
Are you around down at the lighthouse in the next couple of days.
We head south tomorrow and it would be good to catch up.
We had a lovely day out in the farming area just SW of Monacor today.
Nothing great to report just flycatchers, corn buntings, kestrels, yellow wag and a big party of swifts around and about ( 50 + ) Just a single Honey Buzard.
It was just so peaceful. The corn stalks rustling, the farmers riding their aged tractors and the buzz of the modern lads trying to get their first straw cut into the barns.
Rural Mallorca at its best.
Then back to Agromart in Manacor to stock up with all the local fresh goodies for a feast tonight.
What’s not to like. Hopefully see you soon.

I began yesterday`s trip out at Can Cuarassa, I hadn't been there for a while and I was wondering if I could find a Spotless Starling. I drove up the badly rutted lane and parked outside outside the closed and shuttered house where the Spotless Starlings always seem to be around. Within minutes 3 birds landed on the roof but only very briefly. After another short wait a single bird flew in and landed on the roof and lingered a while, enabling me to get a couple of decent photos. a good start to the day.
Driving back down the lane I spotted a raptor in the sky and pulled over to take a look. There were 2 Eleonoras Falcons gliding around, so graceful, really elegant birds. And a very welcome year tick for me. I then made my way down to the nearby hide, not a bird to be seen, although there were lots of beautiful wild flowers and butterflies, including 2 Swallowtails and a Monarch. Walking back to the car I scanned the power cables and found a Roller. It was distant but unmistakeable, the best view of one that I`ve had to date.
Next stop the Albufera. Walking along, nearing the visitor centre I heard Reed and Moustached Warblers singing. I checked out the 3 Sa Roca hides, the water level was very low and so there weren't the usual numbers of birds present. However there were Purple Swamp hens, Red Crested Pochards, Avocets, Little Ringed Plovers, Kentish Plovers, a Purple Heron flyby, 6 Glossy Ibis, Common Terns, 3 Marsh Harriers, BW Stilts,
Although I knew that the water level would also be low at the 2 Es Cibollar hides I decided to check them out. However, as I walked over the main canal bridge I bumped into Geordie Dave and Peter Shaw. They were returning from the Cibollar hides where they said that the birds on show were pretty much the same that I had just seen at the Sa Roca hides, so I gave it a miss.
I decided to make a last visit to the Albufereta on my way home. Just before reaching the Sa Barcassa hide I scanned the orchard to the left. There was a Stone Curlew tucked into the hedge at the back and flitting between the fruit trees was a Flycatcher which appeared to have a fairly dark breast. This of course could denote Spotted flycatcher rather than Mediterranean. I tried to get a reasonable photo which would have helped. But it was too quick for me as it kept moving further toward the back of the orchard.
At the Hide there were Common Terns, 10 Flamingos, Avocets, BW Stilts, Kentish and Little Ringed Plovers and 2 Common Sandpipers. A walk around the Mound found plenty of Corn Buntings and a couple of Yellow Wagtails. I took a few photos of what I had assumed to be was a Tawny Pipit, but when I got home I realised that it was a Greater Short toed Lark. A pleasant surprise, I`d never managed to get a decent photo of one before.
(I`ve actually added a couple of other photos of Med Flycatcher and Bee Eater which I took in my garden a couple of days ago)
Yet another wonderful day out wandering around Mallorca`s beautiful countryside in search of birds. And only a 20 minute drive home.
Cheers Phil A.

Hi Mike,Steve
I always have been lucky with breeding peregrines on cathedral in Palma. I prefer to get out to Garden City where some good waders, gulls, etc have been seen
Thanks both - I’ve seen the Peregrine’s around the cathedral before but they’re always a thrill to see.
I’m just delighting in the 100+ Swifts screaming around our Old Town hotel at the moment plus a Sardinian Warbler in the grounds and a singing Serin earlier!
We’re definitely going to head to Castell Bellver as you suggest Mike.
I‘m also keen to explore Garden City but I’ve Googled it and can’t find any reference to it - could you tell me where it is? Is it walkable from central Palma?
Many thanks.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back