• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (1 Viewer)

I’ve just had 4 Bee-eaters flying south over the apartment.
What fabulous birds they are.
It’s the best time of the year to see groups moving through the Island and leaving from the south.
There are sometimes large groups (how many was it derban?) all swirling round and gaining height, before flying west or out to sea.
They are often heard but not seen though.
For such vocal and colourful birds, they can be so hard to spot in the sky.
My wife wants a day out tomorrow and I have suggested going to the Cap first. She agreed.
That’s great news and I’m full of anticipation already.
Let’s hope to some raptor migration.
Mike

Ref: recent posts about Ternelles Valley, near Pollença. (Vultures etc).

I emailed Mallorca Nature Tours and they have just emailed me back with an attached brochure of their guided tours which looks very interesting, however there is no mention of any guided tour to Ternelles Valley.

So it seems, that for now, we can only walk as far as the gate. Unless anyone knows otherwise?
Ternelles' Farm: Reservations for guided tours of the Ternelles' Farm
Seems like you can book a free tour here
Regards

The access to Ternelles valley is the biggest scandal and the biggest shame of Mallorca in the last 30 years.
The path and the pass thru the valley is absolutely public and it should be free, but one of the richest families in Spain (maybe the richest of all) has it closed, by the face, with the support of the judges.
A shame that no one has managed to change in many years.

Hi Deg
The three places you mention are some of the best places for bird photography.
Salobrar for flamingoes and waders, s’Albufera for ducks, waders, purple swamp hen and stilts. Marbled duck are often on show.
The Bóquer valley is a great place on the right day, but not much joy for photography. It’s hard to get close but there is often a good variety of birds overhead.
I would suggest Son Real, in particular, the hide just off blue walk number 4.
Crossbills perch nearby and many other species come to drink and bathe.
Other photographers will hopefully suggest some alternatives.
Good luck,
Mike
Thanks Mike

Looking through my photos, I can only see one Pectoral sandpiper at Salobrar.
Two were reported which rather influenced me.
The photos and the views I had were both rubbish but there is most certainly one still present.
Mike

I am really looking forward to our visit to the island (PP), which commences in just over a week and I have a couple of questions.

I note that Bee-eaters have now left yet some migrants are still being seen - would there be any reasonable(desperate) hope of these in the north in mid/late September?

Years ago (20+) I was able to find Rock Thrush in the old quarry at Cuber - are there any present there nowadays?

Are there any Lesser Kestrels still on the island? Are these a breeding bird or simply passage visitors?

Am I correct in thinking that Stone Curlews are mostly resident birds?

Apologies for any ignorance or naivety in these queries. I have consulted with the ever helpful "Birding Tourist's Guide" but things change. Maybe it is time for a third edition? :eek:

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Maybe we might bump into one or more of you on our travels; that would be nice.

Hi Alf
I’ve seen Bee-eaters this morning from Cap de Ses Salines.
They pass through the whole Island so there is every chance of seeing them up north.
Sometimes, they hang around for a couple of days. I watched a nice flock in a friends garden for at least 2 days. They settled on bushes and afforded very close views.
I haven’t received any reports of Rufous tailed rock thrush at Cúber for a few years now.
I saw them in the quarry about 7 years ago but not since.
They are sometimes seen on passage at lower levels but they are rare.
Only a few breed on the high bits.
Lesser kestrels have been seen recently on the Central Plain which is the best place. Maria de La Salut being the most productive.
They do now breed but only a handful. The rest are passage migrants.
Stone Curlew are resident and gather in numbers post-breeding. They won’t be difficult, dusk being a good time to hear them.
Hope that helps.
Mike

I‘d arranged to meet Mike and Jane at the Cape this morning, (not so early, yay!) but on the way stopped at Passage No. 5 Mike. What an inspired decision that was! I first spotted a few corn bunting and had a quick sighting of a wheatear (first of the year) and soon made out a small group of rock sparrows in the fig trees, another year tick! Things got better by the minute then, first Mike and Jane stopped there too, and had also not been planning on a stop, and after making out greenfinch, several hoopoes and a spotted flycatcher (apologies for including the photo but they do pose so nicely), a flock of rock sparrows swooped over the field and settled in the fig trees. We reckon there were probably getting on for thirty. A wonderful sight, and about a dozen settled within photo distance for us. Magic. A booted eagle circled above and in my naive optimism I hoped that would be the first of many raptors this morning. However, it was not to be. We moved on to the Cape, where we saw barn swallows (Mike counted at least 20) and endless house sparrows. No further birds but a pair of red-veined darters, male and female, as I am reliably informed. I am glad you saw some bee eaters, Mike, must have been after I left. The closest I came was hearing some as identified by the Merlin app. But a lovely morning, beautiful weather, good sightings and lovely company.

Mallorca20230907-19.jpgMallorca20230907-25.jpgMallorca20230907-46.jpgMallorca20230907-70.jpg

Hi Alf
I’ve seen Bee-eaters this morning from Cap de Ses Salines.
They pass through the whole Island so there is every chance of seeing them up north.
Sometimes, they hang around for a couple of days. I watched a nice flock in a friends garden for at least 2 days. They settled on bushes and afforded very close views.
I haven’t received any reports of Rufous tailed rock thrush at Cúber for a few years now.
I saw them in the quarry about 7 years ago but not since.
They are sometimes seen on passage at lower levels but they are rare.
Only a few breed on the high bits.
Lesser kestrels have been seen recently on the Central Plain which is the best place. Maria de La Salut being the most productive.
They do now breed but only a handful. The rest are passage migrants.
Stone Curlew are resident and gather in numbers post-breeding. They won’t be difficult, dusk being a good time to hear them.
Hope that helps.
Mike

Thanks Mike, helpful as always.

One more question if I may. Poring over Google maps looking at sites I notice that there is a large sewage works in Alcudia at the end of Av. Tuca - has this ever been looked at?

I‘d arranged to meet Mike and Jane at the Cape this morning, (not so early, yay!) but on the way stopped at Passage No. 5 Mike. What an inspired decision that was! I first spotted a few corn bunting and had a quick sighting of a wheatear (first of the year) and soon made out a small group of rock sparrows in the fig trees, another year tick! Things got better by the minute then, first Mike and Jane stopped there too, and had also not been planning on a stop, and after making out greenfinch, several hoopoes and a spotted flycatcher (apologies for including the photo but they do pose so nicely), a flock of rock sparrows swooped over the field and settled in the fig trees. We reckon there were probably getting on for thirty. A wonderful sight, and about a dozen settled within photo distance for us. Magic. A booted eagle circled above and in my naive optimism I hoped that would be the first of many raptors this morning. However, it was not to be. We moved on to the Cape, where we saw barn swallows (Mike counted at least 20) and endless house sparrows. No further birds but a pair of red-veined darters, male and female, as I am reliably informed. I am glad you saw some bee eaters, Mike, must have been after I left. The closest I came was hearing some as identified by the Merlin app. But a lovely morning, beautiful weather, good sightings and lovely company.

View attachment 1530803View attachment 1530804View attachment 1530805View attachment 1530806
Nice photos Derban. I'm now inspired to go to this Passage 5. Not sure where it is though. Any chance of what3words or a pin drop on map? Cheers, Ian

Yesterday morning I received 2 WhatsApp's; `Pectoral Sandpiper at the Salobrar and Pectoral Sandpiper at the Albufera. Hmm, The Salobrar is an hours drive from where I live and the Albufera is 25 minutes. So, it was off to the Albufera (again).
Walking up the lane I found 8 Night Herons in the canal side trees and approaching the Heronry, lots of Cattle and Little Egrets and a few Glossy Ibis.
At the Sa Roca hides there was a good selection of birds: Green and Common sandpipers, Little Ringed and Kentish Plovers, Glossy Ibis, Flamingo, Wood Sandpipers, Dunlins, a couple of Grey Herons, Little Stints, Ruff, Marbled Ducks, Greenshank.
Over to the 2 Es Cibollar hides. No 1 Hide was cordoned off, having a new roof installed. On to no 2 hide , a few distant BW Stilts and Avocets, but little else, too much disturbance from the nearby repair work.
I walked down to the Es Columbars hide. The water level was quite high, so the small island opposite the hide was submerged and subsequently there weren't too many birds to be seen. I did however find another 3 species for the day, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe and Cormorant. Needless to say, No sign of the Pectoral Sandpiper.
On the way home I called in briefly at the Albufereta, hoping against the odds that a recently seen Oyster Catcher might still be around, but no. I expected it to be fairly quite and so it was. Lots of Flamingos, Cattle Egrets and Grey Herons.
But as we gradually move further into Autumn we`ll have lots more birds arriving.
Cheers
Phil Akers.

Attachments

• IMG_3092 (1).JPG
    IMG_3092 (1).JPG
    656.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3085.JPG
    IMG_3085.JPG
    591.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3084.JPG
    IMG_3084.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3038 (2).JPG
    IMG_3038 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3037 (1).JPG
    IMG_3037 (1).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3033 (1).JPG
    IMG_3033 (1).JPG
    808.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3017 (1).JPG
    IMG_3017 (1).JPG
    911 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3008 (1).JPG
    IMG_3008 (1).JPG
    892.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3006.JPG
    IMG_3006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Nice photos Derban. I'm now inspired to go to this Passage 5. Not sure where it is though. Any chance of what3words or a pin drop on map? Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian, Thank you for your kind words. It is very easy to find Passage No. 5. You simply take the Ma-6110 from Ses Salines to the Cap de ses Salines. After a while, you will see signposts on the right, Passatge No. 1, Passatge No. 2 etc. After you pass the sign for Passatge No. 5, you can pull over onto the grass verge after 1-200 metres, being careful to avoid rocks etc. and then simply look over the wall. This morning the rock sparrows were in the fig trees, which you will see there, but don't get your expectations up too high. This morning was the first time I have ever seen anything interesting there after several stops at the location. But I am told it is also a good spot to watch raptors fly over migrating south.

By the way, I hope the red-veined darters have made it now, I don't know what has gone wrong with posting those photos. It just doesn't work as smoothly as usual.

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• Mallorca20230907-104.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Mallorca20230907-100.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 17
Hi Ian, Thank you for your kind words. It is very easy to find Passage No. 5. You simply take the Ma-6110 from Ses Salines to the Cap de ses Salines. After a while, you will see signposts on the right, Passatge No. 1, Passatge No. 2 etc. After you pass the sign for Passatge No. 5, you can pull over onto the grass verge after 1-200 metres, being careful to avoid rocks etc. and then simply look over the wall. This morning the rock sparrows were in the fig trees, which you will see there, but don't get your expectations up too high. This morning was the first time I have ever seen anything interesting there after several stops at the location. But I am told it is also a good spot to watch raptors fly over migrating south.

By the way, I hope the red-veined darters have made it now, I don't know what has gone wrong with posting those photos. It just doesn't work as smoothly as usual.

Cheers,

David
Thanks for the clear instructions Derban; this place is now on my list for my next visit in just over 3 weeks. Btw, the 2 attached photos of the RV Darter are fantastic.

Our old friend, the Iberian grey shrike, lanius meridionalis, has just returned for its fourth year in succession at Pla de Lanzell, Vilafranca.
This bird now enjoys celebrity status, with a constant trickle of birders going to see it throughout its stay for the winter months.
We are going there on a picnic tomorrow so I can once again enjoy this super species as it goes out on sorties, feasting itself on local insects.
It does go missing sometimes, so patience is required but there are few better places to while away the time than the Central Plain. Big, open spaces and lots of sky. Not to mention a good chance of passing migrants at this time of the year.
Good luck to anyone going.
Mike

Our old friend, the Iberian grey shrike, lanius meridionalis, has just returned for its fourth year in succession at Pla de Lanzell, Vilafranca.
This bird now enjoys celebrity status, with a constant trickle of birders going to see it throughout its stay for the winter months.
We are going there on a picnic tomorrow so I can once again enjoy this super species as it goes out on sorties, feasting itself on local insects.
It does go missing sometimes, so patience is required but there are few better places to while away the time than the Central Plain. Big, open spaces and lots of sky. Not to mention a good chance of passing migrants at this time of the year.
Good luck to anyone going.
Mike
I'm amazed that this little Shrike keeps on coming. I thought that a bird of this size would be lucky to live for 2 years and this is now 4 years?

Regarding the lifespan of the Iberian Grey Shrike. I've done a little homework and apparently they live for 3 to 5 years. So maybe he might keep coming for another couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back