• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (5 Viewers)

A long day in the field today with Peter S starting at the Depuradora where we met Kevin and Ian P. The ponds were very quiet but we did have 16 yellow wagtails, bluethroat, reed warbler, several fan tailed warblers and great reed warbler in the fields behind the platform. There were also plenty of swallows feeding over the ponds. From there Peter and I moved on to S’Amarador and Cami des Pols where a kingfisher and red crested pochard were the highlights. Next stop was Maria de la Salut in mid afternoon where it was very hot and very quiet. We did see 6 red kites, 6 kestrel, all common, 2 booted eagles and 2 black vultures. On our way back home we stopped at the platform at Es Forcadet and other than hundreds of coot and a dozen or more gadwall there was nothing of note. Our final visit was to Albufereta where we spent time at both the screen and Sa Barcassa hide. The glorious weather continued but other than a common sandpiper, 30+ cattle egret, grey heron and a few flamingo we couldn’t add to our day list. More than 8 hours after starting the day we retired to Rosa Blanca bar in Gotmar to take on well deserved fluids. Another wonderful day on the island.

Attachments

• E7005F04-7638-4BCE-855A-802AEA3E6B05.jpeg
    E7005F04-7638-4BCE-855A-802AEA3E6B05.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 57297A79-DDBF-4962-82A5-E0ACB62FE5C1.jpeg
    57297A79-DDBF-4962-82A5-E0ACB62FE5C1.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 57B35D8E-099E-4043-ADEC-21FDF3CD48B0.jpeg
    57B35D8E-099E-4043-ADEC-21FDF3CD48B0.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 9
  • D88FEEBA-ABB6-438D-AD4E-90EF6543EA89.jpeg
    D88FEEBA-ABB6-438D-AD4E-90EF6543EA89.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 10
A long day in the field today with Peter S starting at the Depuradora where we met Kevin and Ian P. The ponds were very quiet but we did have 16 yellow wagtails, bluethroat, reed warbler, several fan tailed warblers and great reed warbler in the fields behind the platform. There were also plenty of swallows feeding over the ponds. From there Peter and I moved on to S’Amarador and Cami des Pols where a kingfisher and red crested pochard were the highlights. Next stop was Maria de la Salut in mid afternoon where it was very hot and very quiet. We did see 6 red kites, 6 kestrel, all common, 2 booted eagles and 2 black vultures. On our way back home we stopped at the platform at Es Forcadet and other than hundreds of coot and a dozen or more gadwall there was nothing of note. Our final visit was to Albufereta where we spent time at both the screen and Sa Barcassa hide. The glorious weather continued but other than a common sandpiper, 30+ cattle egret, grey heron and a few flamingo we couldn’t add to our day list. More than 8 hours after starting the day we retired to Rosa Blanca bar in Gotmar to take on well deserved fluids. Another wonderful day on the island.
Enjoying reading what you guys are seeing whilst I am here in South Wales, enjoying the updates very much. Good to see on another thread that the sides of the Son Real hide have been roped of to keep back inquisitive (and daft) people, and a kingfisher there was an unexpected record. On my last visit to that hide in May I had 14 species from crossbill to pied flycatcher, and the usual Hermann's tortoise too. Say hi to Miichael Montier from me...

Martin reports Red-rumpled swallows today so I hope he posts photos.
Philip Garnett saw 3 Ortolan buntings together, drinking from a puddle at Finca Publica Galatzó yesterday.
Phil doesn’t take photos sadly, that’s quite a record.
More news later.
I’m at the Cap tomorrow, (The Wall) but only for the prime time, between 10am and 1pm.
I’m hoping for a good day.
Thanks for all your posts everyone, it’s much appreciated by all.
Mike

A non birding day as Dolores wanted to go for a little drive around. When I asked 'Where to'? the reply was Mirador de El Colomer. Hhmm, Ok, I said. Parked up and out from nowhere an Eleonora's Falcon. Then a Peregrine, then a Hobby, close up. Finally found the Blue Rock Thrush too. Lots of passing swallows and House Martins. I took a phone photo of a massive insect, see attached. Drove up to Albercutx Tower to take in the fantastic views and eat a little picnic and watch a passing Eleonora's Falcon. Chose not to climb the vertical external steps to the tower this time. Then a little drive to La Victoria (the Peninsula east of Alcúdia), Ermita de La Victoria for stunning views of Pollença bay, 2 soaring Raven and another Hobby, and a great view of a Crossbill. Then for a little sunbathing on the little shingle beach, next to S'Illot island, and an Andouin's Gull flew past just metres away whilst a Yellow Legged Gull rested up on a rock next to the beach. I quite like Non-birding days.😊

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_111104260.jpg
    IMG_20231004_111104260.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Martin reports Red-rumpled swallows today so I hope he posts photos.

Of course, your wish is my command!

Not only did I have at least 3 Red-rumped swallows at the depuradora Son Bosc today, but also a very special completely white Barn swallow. I’ve never seen a Barn swallow like that before! I spent a good hour trying to get a photo, with the bird only occasionally coming into view, too distant to take a photo. Then - finally - it came closer! I had my camera ready (including my new red dot sight for the flash shoe of my camera, which proved to be INCREDIBLY useful) and managed to take some photos. Swallows in flight certainly aren’t an easy target, especially when you’re trying to get one bird out of 500.

Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• DP6A4506.jpeg
    DP6A4506.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DP6A4479.jpeg
    DP6A4479.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 34
Hope not teaching people to suck eggs but FYI for iPhone users the latest software iOS 17.0 identifies most birds, insects, fungi, butterflies, flowers, dragonflies et al from your photos. Use the i button on the bottom of each photo. It seems to work well in the UK although US centric with naming. Interesting to know if can deal with the wildlife in Majorca.

Of course, your wish is my command!

Not only did I have at least 3 Red-rumped swallows at the depuradora Son Bosc today, but also a very special completely white Barn swallow. I’ve never seen a Barn swallow like that before! I spent a good hour trying to get a photo, with the bird only occasionally coming into view, too distant to take a photo. Then - finally - it came closer! I had my camera ready (including my new red dot sight for the flash shoe of my camera, which proved to be INCREDIBLY useful) and managed to take some photos. Swallows in flight certainly aren’t an easy target, especially when you’re trying to get one bird out of 500.

Cheers
Martin
The white one is a beauty (y)

The plan was to have an early session at the gym, followed by a couple of hours at the Cap.
On driving down to the Cap, I noticed two bodies in the middle of the road.
Getting closer, I could see that two cyclists had had a coming together and were lifeless.
They were very badly injured, with more than a few bones broken between them.
I called an ambulance and was told it would be 10 minutes. Nearly an hour later it arrived.
I tried my best to calm them and re-direct the traffic but it was difficult being with people suffering and feeling pretty helpless. They were taken to hospital and I hope they will both be ok.
I tried very hard not to look at the sky. I really did, but I couldn’t help seeing two Booted eagles flying high over.
A group of 61 Ravens circled round above, the most amazing sight, they are fabulous entertainers, tumbling down through the clouds.
Very soon after, Martin and Mara arrived which was good news. They both have incredible eye-sight and it wasn’t long before a few raptors came through.
There were quite a few groups in all, and the minimum numbers were:
16 Booted eagle
9 Red kite
5 Honey buzzard
1 Hobby
1 Black kite
Maybe Martin has a few more to add.
It was great to be birding with them both again but I was still a bit shaken up by the events of the morning.
Mike

Just had news that Booted eagles continued to stream through after we left the Cap.
Adolfo and Toni on the Island of Cabrera are up to 107 and counting.
One group of 42 must have been quite a sight.
Interestingly, Booted eagles usually leave the Island in one long line, as shown on this old photo.
It’s a fabulous sight.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN5595.jpeg
    DSCN5595.jpeg
    911.1 KB · Views: 35
Just had news that Booted eagles continued to stream through after we left the Cap.
Adolfo and Toni on the Island of Cabrera are up to 107 and counting.
One group of 42 must have been quite a sight.
Interestingly, Booted eagles usually leave the Island in one long line, as shown on this old photo.
It’s a fabulous sight.
Mike
Interesting that you mention the leave in long line. I had for some years ago around 20 - 30 Booted eagles at same time when they arrive to Mallorca - area of Far de Cala Figuera / Portal Vells. Do they use different strategy or manner during leaving and arrival?

I think they do, yes.
They often arrive at the Cap in groups, circling round together.
They then gain height and leave in a long line.
Not every time, but nearly always.
Interesting. Maybe others will comment.
Mike

Late start today so decided on Fisherman's Walk which is close to Pollença. Saw a nice Blackcap, Crossbill and 2 Firecrest close together in Cala Sant Vicenç woods which was a nice start. Not much until the top when an Eleonora's Falcon suddenly appeared from behind the cliff very close. Then climbed even higher for 30 mins and 2 Edit: BLUE Rock Thrush flew past followed by a third. A Kestrel circled above me. On the way back, still near the first top, 2 Balearic Warblers quite close together was a nice albeit brief treat. Now eating Dolores' delicious Tortilla de patata.👌

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back