• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars from leica (4 Viewers)

Lee, post 632,
You were probably not aware of it, but Leica served Dutch coffee at the Birdfair and, as you know, every Dutchman uses brain enlighting sugar in the coffee.
Gijs

Gijs

This explains everything and especially why my feet kept taking me back to the Leica stand time after time after time.. And despite the clouds and occasional rain there seemed to be a rosy glow everywhere.

The only other time I experienced such a rosy glow was emerging from the Tivoli Bar in Amsterdam at 01:00 but I don't think it was due to coffee........

Lee

David Bowman's post above prompts me to ask if there is a tent at Birdfair where used binoculars may be bought and sold privately by visitors?

I know, they're certainly not cheap. I was lucky enough to sell my HD + to someone I met at the Birdfair for nearly £1K, which, took the edge off the financial impact. I suppose the good side of the almost constant improvement in binocular design is that every new issue brings a flood of top quality second hand bins onto the market :)

Cheers David

I'm honestly happy with my current 8x43 and all the other little bins I own and I have certainly noticed the improvements made over recent years but I imagine this new Leica is certainly nice to view through.

As a general optics user and enjoyer I have been interested in this Leica as it's obviously a big release and if funds were available and I wanted the ultimate in a binocular I would certainly be considering it and who knows maybe someday there may come a time or by then there might be something else. It's funny how you stumbled upon it without knowing of it ahead of time. That must have been a nice surprise.

I like having one quality large bin but otherwise I do prefer something more portable so I'll probably be looking in that area.

I've never owned or seen an absolutely perfect bin when everything looks brilliant all of the time or I would have bought that and never another.

Should be a lot more good models of various sizes appearing as old models are continually replaced but meantime it's good to read your experience with the Noctovid and I look forward to further reports and I personally won't judge. It's your bin and your opinion and whatever you think of it will be fine with me as I know these things are personal to each user and I hope it provides a lot of enjoyment for you.

I know you were already a Leica owner and user but it is still telling that you did try the other top models and still went in only one direction and that was to the Noctovid. I wonder will Leica take some business from the other brands with this model. This is when the real hornet nest will be disturbed I imagine 8-P

Any more new on if/when you might get your Noctovid? I'm sure it's a bit of an agony waiting especially when you don't know for sure how long that might be but in the end you will still be one of the first many. You sure reacted fast at BF with offloading your HD+ there and then;)

Last edited:
David Bowman's post above prompts me to ask if there is a tent at Birdfair where used binoculars may be bought and sold privately by visitors?

I'm not aware of one, though a lot of dealers will both take trade-ins or have a variety of pre-owned binoculars to buy. My local dealer, Focalpoint Optics certainly does. I think one of the issues at the Birdfair is that, as I understand it all optics sales are controlled by one dealer, Viking Optics. At least that's what I've been told.
Cheers David

I'm not aware of one, though a lot of dealers will both take trade-ins or have a variety of pre-owned binoculars to buy. My local dealer, Focalpoint Optics certainly does. I think one of the issues at the Birdfair is that, as I understand it all optics sales are controlled by one dealer, Viking Optics. At least that's what I've been told.
Cheers David

David
There are two optics dealers at bird fair. In Focus and Viking Optical.
At the show only one of the two optics retailers sell the designated brand ( example is VIking Optical for Leica, Swarovski, Kowa and others, In Focus for Nikon, Hawke, Opticron and others).

This year VO did have a P/X facility.

I know you were already a Leica owner and user but it is still telling that you did try the other top models and still went in only one direction and that was to the Noctovid. I wonder will Leica take some business from the other brands with this model. This is when the real hornet nest will be disturbed I imagine 8-P

Any more new on if/when you might get your Noctovid? I'm sure it's a bit of an agony waiting especially when you don't know for sure how long that might be but in the end you will still be one of the first many. You sure reacted fast at BF with offloading your HD+ there and then;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am partial to Leica bins, they just have a more natural looking image to my eyes, which is just a personal preference. On the other hand. my scope is Zeiss, my camera is Nikon, my travel scope is Celestron and my astronomical scope is Takahashi, so I'm not tied to one brand ;) I picked each of them after a lot of thought, research and tests to meet my own particular needs. As for when my Noctivids will arrive, I'm not holding my breath!
Cheers David

David
There are two optics dealers at bird fair. In Focus and Viking Optical.
At the show only one of the two optics retailers sell the designated brand ( example is VIking Optical for Leica, Swarovski, Kowa and others, In Focus for Nikon, Hawke, Opticron and others).

This year VO did have a P/X facility.

I should have known that, as I was in the In Focus tent trying out the Nikon and Hawke travelscopes!

Cheers David

Well for what it's worth....I went out today to have a test of the newer black X 8 Zeiss double hinged jobbies, (I haven't bought a pair of bins since my Zeiss 8 x 32 FLs first came out). I used to sell optics etc here in North Norfolk many years ago and luckily got out to the factories both at Swarovski and Zeiss - Thanks MAK. I also still own and use older bins such as Dialyt 7 x 42, Leitz (Wetzlar Black dot ) Trinovid and had used Swarovski ELs for many a year...essentially quite a long time in using binoculars in the field worldwide on birding trips.

The Zeiss were as good as I expected and hoped, so to was my mind made up to purchase a pair very soon, BUT an ex colleague whispered in my ear......

" Pat, I strongly suggest you wait and try the new Leicas !"

Enough said.

Great thread by the way

Last edited:
Well for what it's worth....I went out today to have a test of the newer black X 8 Zeiss double hinged jobbies, (I haven't bought a pair of bins since my Zeiss 8 x 32 FLs first came out). I used to sell optics etc here in North Norfolk many years ago and luckily got out to the factories both at Swarovski and Zeiss - Thanks MAK. I also still own and use older bins such as Dialyt 7 x 42, Leitz (Wetzlar Black dot ) Trinovid and had used Swarovski ELs for many a year...essentially quite a long time in using binoculars in the field worldwide on birding trips.

The Zeiss were as good as I expected and hoped, so to was my mind made up to purchase a pair very soon, BUT an ex colleague whispered in my ear......

" Pat, I strongly suggest you wait and try the new Leicas !"

What a great collection of bins you have there. My wife still treasures her black dot Trinovids although she has retired them now in favour of Ultravids.

The new Leicas are definitely worth waiting to try out. Do make sure you get to try them side by side with the SFs so you compare them under the same skies / same lighting / same subjects to see which appeals most. The SFs handling and huge field of view are key strengths while the Leica brings a 3D flavour to the view. Good luck with your choice.

Lee

In Focus has always offered part exchange both in its shops and at Birdfair.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

In a way, I'm glad I didn't know that as I wouldn't have approached the woman trying out the HD+ at the Leica store. She was happy to give me c.£1k for my nearly new 8x42s and I guess that's more than I'd have got from a dealer, who has to make some profit on any re-sale.

Cheers David

David,

I appreciate your report, and fully believe that you are experienced and honest.

Whether the laws of optics and vision as I understand them have been violated (improved upon!) or something else is masquerading as DOF is pretty much a moot point as far as the user is concerned. I'm encouraged that you were so impressed by the new Leica, and have high hopes for it myself. I'll be 66 myself this month, and although I try to act my age, my heart is going pity-pat. But (predictably) I like the looks of the UV better.

Ron

Yes, Ron, the Ultravids take a bit of beating both as a piece of design and for handling (at least for my smallish hands). They are also incredibly robust - I've dropped mine a couple of times onto hard surfaces and used them in -20 C and up to + 40 C, without any sign of a problem, so I had a lot of confidence in them. What I would say, though, is that the Noctivids feel closer in handling to the Ultravids than they do to the Swarowskis or SFs, which both feel a bit too bulky for my hands. Maybe its the shorter, slimmer, slightly flattened barrels and the beautiful balance which does it. As I said in my original post, I was surprised to find they were heavier than the Ultravids (by 3oz), maybe because most of the weight sits in the palms of your hands (similar to the SFs)? What they do have when you see them in real life, is that Leica "hewn from rock" build quality and that "rightness" you get with the best industrial designs. Did I say that I like them? ;)
Cheers David

Thanks Lee,
Yes, I shall give them a side by side lengthy comparison and be looking for the 3D image that has been discussed.... I know the image of flat field and how it works (or not) for me but it will the best of...
1. Ergonomics, including balance
2. Most overall pleasing image across various conditions and distances, allowing for warmth/cold in colour.

Not fussed by edge to edge sharpness. Just don't fancy the Swaros anymore...everybody's got them, I had them, dare to be different.

Having been in retailing sports optics 15 years ago when the popularity was 1st Leica Trinovid BA/BNs, then either Swaro/ Nikons and lastly the Zeiss it would be personally pleasing to see the red dots making a comeback. I still love my straight APO 62mm and range of eyepieces.

I spent some time with a 10x42SF and 10x42UVHD+ on Monday, going from one to the other, (I have a 10x itch that needed scratching), obviously I`v yet to try a Noctivid, on fov, balance and ergo`s I preferred the SF and given high contrast views, like say a Gull on top of a utility pole, the SF, with what I perceived to be lower contrast made it far easier to see plumage detail, whereas with the UV, which appeared far more contrasty, to me allowed the Gulls plumage to wash out and sort of merge with the sky, so here I preferred the SF.

But, and I`m not saying the SF showed a green cast, but compared to the UV colours appeared more pastel and washed out to my eyes, it certainly looked greenish next to the eye popping contrast rich colours of the UV.

A prime example was a sandstone railway bridge about 500m away, through the UV it was a rich Exeter sandstone hue, but with the SF it did appear much paler and less like what the naked eye saw.

Overall though I would have chosen the SF in a 10x42 format.

A prime example was a sandstone railway bridge about 500m away, through the UV it was a rich Exeter sandstone hue, but with the SF it did appear much paler and less like what the naked eye saw.

There is a reason Exeter Sandstone is known, technically, as Greenstone. :-O

Lee

Attachments

• Exeter Sandstone.jpg
    Exeter Sandstone.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 101
Hi Torview and Lee.
I remember driving often to Exeter or Plymouth, can't remember which, and there was this marvelous reddish sandstone long 'cliff' on the right hand side of the main road.
Definitely not green.

Perhaps the red colour is not Exeter sandstone?

Strange how different binoculars show colours and contrast.

Last edited:

"One thing some users might find mildly annoying, however, is the positioning of the strap lugs which, had they been located just a few millimetres closer to the ocular, would allow the focusing finger to be kept completely straight and, therefore, a little more relaxed."

I will wait until MKII where the strap lugs are not placed in line with the focus wheel.

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back