• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (4 Viewers)

Holt Lowes and Country Park

Grayling on the Lowes

First silver-washed fritillary by pond at country park.
Possibly four more males from the curved path plus a duller female

A few white admirals and brimstones with them.

At the top of Edgefield hill another male silver-washed fritillary plus a purple hairstreak - the latter on a chestnut tree.

Attachments

• brimstone - Holt CP 1 Aug 2013.JPG
    brimstone - Holt CP 1 Aug 2013.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 64
I have been doing driving work for last couple of days and happy to say lots of butterflies flying about all over the place, especially whites.
While delivering in St Olavs today the garden had whites, skippers, plenty of peacocks and my first painted lady of the year.

The annual Warham Chalkhill count reached 6,500 on Monday. Some 40,000 whites came in over Scolt Head on Thursday and today East Ruston Vicarage Gardens had "hundreds" of peacocks. Meanwhile east coast reports of Painted Ladies suddenly started to increase quite sharply. All in time for the big butterfly count.

BC will be at Eaton Park all day this Sunday, Mousehold on Tuesday afternoon with a kids bug hunt and a we'll be opening moth traps at natural surroundings the following saturday morning (10th). All welcome.

Found a pine hawk moth (I think) at Santon Downham yesterday, first one that I have seen, the kids were well impressed. I'm finding moths quite interesting so am starting to get tempted to get a trap...

This Painted Lady at Taverham Garden Centre this afternoon was my first for the year in Norfolk (and England, following one last week in Majorca!).

Attachments

• 2013-08-05 16.45.28.jpg
    2013-08-05 16.45.28.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 2013-08-05 16.44.48.jpg
    2013-08-05 16.44.48.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 39
Large Whites all over the place in Hempnall today including at least 50 in one garden on the lavender. Also around a dozen Small White and a couple of Green-veined.

A Valezina form female Silver-washed was seen and photographed at Holt CP on Saturday. Queens Hills in Costessey has 8+ Clouded Yellows hanging around, which seem to have emerged locally.

There are: I think, 32 species currently flying in Norfolk:
Large, Small and Essex Skippers, Large, Small and Green-veined Whites, Swallowtail,
Brimstone, Clouded Yellow, Purple and White-letter Hairstreaks, Small
Copper, Silver-studded, Common, Chalkhill and Holly Blues, Brown Argus,
White and Red Admirals, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Comma,
Dark-green and Silver-washed Fritillaries, Speckled Wood, Wall, Grayling,
Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Small Heath.

However, Silver-studded Blues will be over soon, if not already, as will Large Skipper. I have however, had a second-hand report of a second brood orange-tip, which is surprising given the lateness of their first brood. Hopefully I'll get more info or a second sighting for this. (It might have been a misidentified clouded yellow I suppose.)

Last edited:
I have a friend who is desperate to see a Swallowtail can anyone give me any sites where they are currently on the wing???

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phill.

A Valezina form female Silver-washed was seen and photographed at Holt CP on Saturday. Queens Hills in Costessey has 8+ Clouded Yellows hanging around, which seem to have emerged locally.

There are: I think, 32 species currently flying in Norfolk:
Large, Small and Essex Skippers, Large, Small and Green-veined Whites, Swallowtail,
Brimstone, Clouded Yellow, Purple and White-letter Hairstreaks, Small
Copper, Silver-studded, Common, Chalkhill and Holly Blues, Brown Argus,
White and Red Admirals, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Comma,
Dark-green and Silver-washed Fritillaries, Speckled Wood, Wall, Grayling,
Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Small Heath.

However, Silver-studded Blues will be over soon, if not already, as will Large Skipper. I have however, had a second-hand report of a second brood orange-tip, which is surprising given the lateness of their first brood. Hopefully I'll get more info or a second sighting for this. (It might have been a misidentified clouded yellow I suppose.)

Hi HD,

would the Clouded Yellows at Queen's Hills be an accidental introduction, or migrants? Either way I would like to see them, is the area accessible?

Has anyone had any luck with Purple and/or White Letter Hairstreak at Zaks's, Mousehold Heath? I have been for a jog down there a couple of times but no luck so far.

Cheers,
Jim.

Several probable Purple Hairstreaks nectaring on the oaks to the south of Costessey cemetery on Longwater Lane.
I was visiting on family business and didn't have binoculars with me so I can't be 100% certain but I would be interested to know if this is a known site.
Thanks.

I have a friend who is desperate to see a Swallowtail can anyone give me any sites where they are currently on the wing???

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phill.

My Dad was at Hickling Broad NWT at the weekend - he saw several Swallowtail caterpillars and spoke to someone who had seen several Swallowtails on one of the boat trips.

Longwater Lane Purple Hairstreaks have been reported before.
Clouded Yellows are believed to be the offspring of a female migrant seen here a few months back, And both purple and white letter's have been seen at Zaks. But so far I only have one sighting of one white-letter there. Purple are numerous and fairly easy to see in the afternoon. They're in the oak in the center of the car park.

Longwater Lane Purple Hairstreaks have been reported before.
Clouded Yellows are believed to be the offspring of a female migrant seen here a few months back, And both purple and white letter's have been seen at Zaks. But so far I only have one sighting of one white-letter there. Purple are numerous and fairly easy to see in the afternoon. They're in the oak in the center of the car park.

Do you have any precise info on the location of the Clouded Yellows at Queen Hills, providing there is public access of course?

Simon

Painted Ladies

One today near Aldeby. Yesterday had 7 at Brooke Industrial Park along with 50+ peacocks, numerous whites of all 3 species, 6 or so small tortoiseshells and 1 skipper (poss large but not certain)

Swallowtails around and strumpshaw fen yesterday morning (tuesday 6th) so i was told when i arrived in the afternoon,on the buddleia bushes leading up to tower hide.1 painted lady which was well worn and 5 dark green frittilarys at winterton dunes.

Yesterday afternoon was my best ever in terms of butterfly species at Whitlingham, with 14.

Most numerous were Large White, Green-veined White, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper and Peacock. There were also several Small Whites (plus lots of small/GV not positively ID'd), Commas, Common Blue, Speckled Wood and Small SKipper, with single Large Skipper, Ringlet, Small Tortoiseshell and Painted Lady.

There were lots of Long-winged Coneheads around the site, and a colony of Roesel's Bush Crickets on Whitlingham Lane near the second car park.

A new butterfly for the garden today in the form of a Small Copper that had managed to get itself trapped in the conservatory! Plenty of white's around, along with Meadow Brown, Peacock, Comma and a Brimstone.

Chris

Weybourne & Holt

The Buddleja, just off the Weybourne beach road was heaving today, with masses of Peacocks, 7 Painted Ladies and a single White Admiral. I did ask a friend what a woodland species was doing in a residential area and they inform me that it was most likely a wandering individual. Hope for a garden one yet.

Also, of interest, a Silver Wash Fritillary of the form valesinahas been seen at Holt CP over the last week. It wasn't seen today, but the last positive news was from yesterday on the Buddleja in the main carpark.

Kieran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back