• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (5 Viewers)

Thorpe Green

Checked out the med gull, on Thorpe Green, Sunday morning in the rain. I did manage a couple of reasonable snaps.

Attachments

• med gull 800.jpg
    med gull 800.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 58
  • med gullin flight800.jpg
    med gullin flight800.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 71
Norwich Starling Roost

Juast to clarify a couple of points regarding the starling roost:

They have been present since at least the 17th November 2014 and roost in the vents of the same building everynight, which is sandwiched between St Stephens street and the Bus station. I also watch them leave their roost each morning.

By far the best views are from Queen's Road/St Stephens street car-park (the setting Sun is behind you!) - the car-park is probably best as it gives you extra height.

Approx 3000 birds have been present since 17/11/14, a figure that has remained constant over the last 11 or so weeks.

ps - The 'same' building they roost on every night is actually the BHS store.

Last edited:
Pied Wagtail roost, Norwich station

Excellent picture!
There was often a similar-sized roost outside the old Pilch's in Gentleman's Walk: I videoed it back in 1999 and you can see 800+ birds in one frame!
Where do they all go in the daytime!

Nearer 200 birds roosting there yesterday evening in windy conditions. The wind was disturbing (a few waking & flying), so I didn't stay long to avoid risking exacerbating their insomnia. But a few better pictures on the blog here: http://www.jameslowen.com/blog---2-feb-2015.html

James

Juast to clarify a couple of points regarding the starling roost:

They have been present since at least the 17th November 2014 and roost in the vents of the same building everynight, which is sandwiched between St Stephens street and the Bus station. I also watch them leave their roost each morning.

By far the best views are from Queen's Road/St Stephens street car-park (the setting Sun is behind you!) - the car-park is probably best as it gives you extra height.

Approx 3000 birds have been present since 17/11/14, a figure that has remained constant over the last 11 or so weeks.

ps - The 'same' building they roost on every night is actually the BHS store.
Thanks for the info there. I made a note on dec20th 2014 that the roost was there , but obviously I had missed out on a whole months worth!
Happy birding
Shaky

Thorpe/ station marshes-
A quick visit to the patch today gave me 2 new year ticks for the patch. Firstly a small flock of finches had 6x Redpoll among them which was great. Then on the broad a pair of Shovelers. There is a large amount of teal and gadwall there along with 18x Lapwings on the shingle spit. It was very flooded in areas so any one who is thinking of heading there , wellies are a must !
Happy birding
Shaky

Whitlingham CP 4th Feb

Spent a couple of hours walking around the great broad checking all the margins for bittern but no luck, the wintering chiffchaff is still at the eastern end of the broad , it was feeding along the river bank.Looking across to Thorpe marsh there were 30+ gadwall, 12 lapwing,little grebe and 30+ teal.The little broad was partly frozen but had good numbers of gadwall, on the great broad there were about 35 pochard, 5 g.c.grebes and a few displaying teal.

It's all happening today!
Great White Egret still present around Earlham / Bowthorpe area
RLB present (since December) in the Hellsdon area
Drake Scaup on Bawburgh fishing lakes.

Which brings me on to my last question, does anyone regularly visit that area?

It's all happening today!
Great White Egret still present around Earlham / Bowthorpe area
RLB present (since December) in the Hellsdon area

Anyone know the gen on the RLB, e.g. where it's been watched from?

Anyone know the gen on the RLB, e.g. where it's been watched from?

I live on Thorpe Marriott & drive the Reepham Road pretty much every day, but haven't seen a RLB in the area since 25th October, when one was seen off by the local buzzards just north of Taverham.

Would be good to know more.

Stew

There are birders with permits, although when I had one I don't remember bumping into any other birders there so I don't know how regular it is visited, or more pertinently whether scarce birds are broadcast given the private nature of the site.

At least one birder lives in the area nearby and picks up quite a bit of stuff presumably scanning from their house/the road.

I live on Thorpe Marriott & drive the Reepham Road pretty much every day, but haven't seen a RLB in the area since 25th October, when one was seen off by the local buzzards just north of Taverham.

Would be good to know more.

Stew

Hi Stew,
Same here. I drive the Reepham Rd from Reepham almost every day too. The closest I've had RL buzzard was about 3 years ago much further north around N Elmham (nearer Fakenham!) so would be keen to see this bird.
Driving past this morning there is the huge potential area behind the row of small pines south of Thorpe Marriott.. This area is hard to see while driving from the Rd..
Any news please do share.. Although I bet this thread will switch to Duck news!

Trip to patch ( Thorpe/ station marshes) was a good choice this morning
I had great views of a stunning,calling Merlin! It seem to come from the tree at the kissing gate and make its way over the broad and over towards Whitlingham. Super viewing with blue sky . Also a walk across the flooded marsh gave up 20+ common snipe and 2x Jack snipe. Throw in a Woodcock and 3x Bull finches and it was a superb patch visit
Happy birding
Shaky

Colney scaup

Surprised not to see any discussion on here of the Colney scaup sp /Aythya hybrid! I saw it too distantly yesterday evening to discern anything useful, but I spoke to someone on site who said Steve Gantlett thought it a Greater Scaup. The only photo I have seen (https://twitter.com/knotsbirder/status/568386143391256576/photo/1) - as far as I can tell - doesn't suggest Lesser Scaup. Presumably whoever put the news out as a potential Lesser Scaup had better views and saw something in it? Would be grand to learn more.

Surprised not to see any discussion on here of the Colney scaup sp /Aythya hybrid! I saw it too distantly yesterday evening to discern anything useful, but I spoke to someone on site who said Steve Gantlett thought it a Greater Scaup. The only photo I have seen (https://twitter.com/knotsbirder/status/568386143391256576/photo/1) - as far as I can tell - doesn't suggest Lesser Scaup. Presumably whoever put the news out as a potential Lesser Scaup had better views and saw something in it? Would be grand to learn more.

My friends found it, had views down to about 10m. They instantly recognised it as a Scaup and asked me to put news out.

I've no clue why Lesser was even suggested! It's clearly Greater

For any one interested the Starlings have been gathering in numbers along Unthank road and looking like they are about to drop to roost around 5-15 pm and all over a sudden at last moment going off towards the city centre as usual? I wondered if this is some " pre roost" or a simple meet up point before heading to city centre its self? I have only noticed this yesterday and tonight? Great views and pictures which I will update to blog tomorrow night hopefully .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back