• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (5 Viewers)

Cranes 27/2/15

First heard then saw 5 cranes over Thorpe St.Andrew at 11:14 this morning flying towards the west.

Sadly, not today

A very big surprise whilst walking round Thorpe marsh,s was 2pairs of Red Crested Pochard on the broad ,

Great find, Pete: despite a couple of hours and two circuits of the reserve, no sign today: just Tufties, Gadwall, Mallard, a nice bp Cormorant and four Oycs...

Attachments

• Oycs.jpg
    Oycs.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Corms.jpg
    Corms.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 137
  • More Oycs.jpg
    More Oycs.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 110
A few recent sightings;

03/03/15 - Merlin seen throughout the day around the playing fields at UEA (No sign since)
05/03/15 - Single SEO flew over the A47 heading in the direction of Thorpe Marshes / Whitlingham.
Today - 15ca Bewick Swan flying south also over A47 heading towards Norwich

A cold patch visit this afternoon between 4-5 pm was very quiet untill a fly over male Gooseander heading east. I bumped into patch local mike who had seen it fishing on the broad itself for a bit previously. Then as we chatted a Ringed plover came over the broad also heading east bound ! Great birds to see on a otherwise quiet afternoon
Happy birding
Shaky
Twitter- @shaky_theHammer

A couple of Sand Martins flew west over Whitlingham this afternoon following a bit of rain, but other than Chiffchaffs not much in yet.

Nice one on getting the Sand Martins James. This was the first week in ages I haven't got to the patch . Hoping to on Monday so Sand Martins please!
Happy birding
Shaky

Thorpe St.andrew 15/04/2015

Nice view of red kite over my garden this afternoon

Attachments

• red kite.jpg
    red kite.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 100
Patch gold this evening in the way of a Nightingale at the patch! Giving some bursts if song. Manged to record a little bit on my phone which is now on blog. Hopefully it will stick around till tomorrow-I'm buzzin!
Nice picture of the Red Kite Ronmac, I only ever had the one sighting over before but they seem to be more regularly seen around Norfolk so hopefully more sightings to come here.
Happy birding
Shaky
http://shakysbirdingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Lesser Whitethroat at Norwich railway station today, singing in scrub near the railway line below the £6/day car park.

Hobby over my New Costessey garden on Friday.

Hobby flew fast and West low over the northern part of ring road this evening as I drove home. Over the old 'Bottoms up' roundabout.... One of the most central Norwich ones I have seen.

Golden Plover

Early Tuesday morning a stunned but very much alive Golden Plover was in the Cloister Garth at the Cathedral, a lucky escape from being a Peregrines Breakfast…. It eventually flew off strongly.

House Martin over Unthank Road 30th May. Only very occasional in this part of the city and then more usual in Autumn.

Yesterday at Whitlingham a female-type Mandarin was on the Little Broad at the far end ('scope needed as the vegetation has grown up so you can only easily view from the gate near the watersports centre).

Also the Goosander is still in the area, in this case on the river between Whitlingham and south of the Rushcutters.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back