• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Thanks James. I try to keep a rough document throughout the year, then work on it during the evenings in December.

At Whitlingham today the Pintail x Mallard hybrid was back and showing nicely along the slipway. 3 female Goldeneye on the broad, 90ish Siskins (a small flock near the Little Broad and a much larger one in trees along Whitlingham Lane) plus the usual ducks etc.

That bird is nuts. Might have to pop down just to see it!

Cracking work on the report as usual Sir.

c110 Pied Wagtal roosting in trees by the railway station last night. Christmas baubles on sticks.

Whitlingham C. P.

A quick 2 hours around the great broad this morning and best bird was bittern, it flew out of reeds along the path to the viewing blind and landed in reeds at the eastern end of the great broad.I did manage to digiscope a poor record shot and the 'spot the bittern' shot is attached.Its almost a year to the day that I saw bittern at the same site.There were good numbers of pochard,gadwall and tufted duck, the pintail hybrid was around the edge of the island.Good to have nuthatch and cettis warbler also, the small broad is completely frozen over and parts of the nature area near the island are also beginning to freeze over. Seven great crested grebes asleep together and 2-3 others further down the broad was a nice sight.Thorpe broad on the other side of the river is still largely unfrozen with good numbers of pochard,teal and tufted duck and 2 snipe.

Attachments

• IMG_6718.JPG
    IMG_6718.JPG
    556.2 KB · Views: 115
Excellent Bittern-finding skills! :t:

A quick 2 hours around the great broad this morning and best bird was bittern, it flew out of reeds along the path to the viewing blind and landed in reeds at the eastern end of the great broad.I did manage to digiscope a poor record shot and the 'spot the bittern' shot is attached.Its almost a year to the day that I saw bittern at the same site.There were good numbers of pochard,gadwall and tufted duck, the pintail hybrid was around the edge of the island.Good to have nuthatch and cettis warbler also, the small broad is completely frozen over and parts of the nature area near the island are also beginning to freeze over. Seven great crested grebes asleep together and 2-3 others further down the broad was a nice sight.Thorpe broad on the other side of the river is still largely unfrozen with good numbers of pochard,teal and tufted duck and 2 snipe.

Whitlingham Country Park

Whitlingham Country Park 21st January 2016

Bittern (Great Broad, north of island)
Goosander (2 flyovers)

Robin

Sibe Chiffchaff at Whitlingham Marsh nr sewage works outfall yesterday, per news information services

Whitlingham Country Park 12th February 2016

Bittern (Great Broad, north of island sunning itself on edge of reeds early morning)

Robin

Norwich birders help please! Can you tell me if the starlings are still gathering in impressive form over the centre of Norwich ? Thanks

Hello, I've been wanting to make a trip to Norwich recently. I'm thinking some time in May. I would very much like to see the starlings. I'm qúite new to bird watching but from this thread it seems Norwich would be worth a trip.
I have a question though because I was planning on renting caravan, I found these people online and they seem quite good. Do any of you rent caravans? If so, who do you use?

Ideally I would like a place to park my caravan which is also good for bird sightings, do you know anywhere in Norwich? I want to make sure I stay in a designated caravan/camping site. I will be on my own so it would be nice to be somewhere where other people are staying. Anyway if you have any tips I would be very grateful, thank you. This forum is very interesting :)

Hi Jane, welcome to BirdForum.

If the starlings were your main motivation then I wouldn't recommend coming in May. These murmurations only occur over the winter, when our Starlings are joined by more from the continent. By early spring these birds will depart and the resident birds will split up into pairs to breed.

If you were still interested in visiting Norwich there are other birds you may be interested in, for example nesting Peregrines on the cathedral spire, Grey Wagtails along the River Wensum, and many warbler species.

Because most of the people who will read this thread will live or work in Norwich there might not be much response to the caravan-renting part of your query, so you may wish to post that bit on the 'information wanted' part of the forum as well just to increase the chance of some recommendations. In terms of pitches, there are some on the south-eastern edge of the city that are well situated for wildlife (http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/norfolk/norwich/norwich), but I've not stayed there personally.

Regards,

James

Hello, I've been wanting to make a trip to Norwich recently. I'm thinking some time in May. I would very much like to see the starlings. I'm qúite new to bird watching but from this thread it seems Norwich would be worth a trip.
I have a question though because I was planning on renting caravan, I found these people online and they seem quite good. Do any of you rent caravans? If so, who do you use?

Ideally I would like a place to park my caravan which is also good for bird sightings, do you know anywhere in Norwich? I want to make sure I stay in a designated caravan/camping site. I will be on my own so it would be nice to be somewhere where other people are staying. Anyway if you have any tips I would be very grateful, thank you. This forum is very interesting :)

Last edited:
The past few weeks have seen a good range of birds arriving or passing through the Norwich area. We've had Little Gulls, Common Scoter and today 8 Arctic Terns at Whitlingham. Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers and Blackcaps are now widespread, there are Sedge Warbers at Thorpe Marsh and today a Lesser Whitethroat at Whitlingham.

The last roundabout on the road from the A11 to the N&N is playing host to an amazing display of Bee Orchids at the moment. There are at least 400 on the roundabout and surrounding grass verges.

I don't suppose any on here knows more detail about the Yellow-browed Warbler reported at a churchyard on St Benedict's Street this lunchtime (from BirdGuides)? I've just quickly nipped and had an unsuccessful look on my lunchbreak, but there are four churchyards, so narrowing it down would help.

Just had a waxwing at thorpe st andrew business park, so I imagine the usual flock may be hanging around Sainsburys and surrounding roads.

Whitlingham Bird Report 2016

A belated Happy New Year to my fellow Norvicensian birders. I have attached the 2016 Whitlingham Bird Report, thanks as always to those who have reported sightings from the area over the past year. Fingers crossed for some more good birds in 2017! B :)

Attachments

• Whitlingham 2016 Bird report final.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 122
2 green sandpipers flew out from Great Broad, Whitlingham and over thorpe broad this morning, thorpe broad is still partially open from the ice and there are many gulls roosting on the ice + 75 gadwall,little grebe,2 water rail and cettis warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back