• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for mid-level (US$400-600) 8x42s? (1 Viewer)

Oregon John

United States
I've done research online (lots of web pages with "best birding binoculars", etc.), but as I've been truly amazed by the passion and knowledge of folks here, I thought I'd ask your opinions.

I have an entry-level Nikon 8x42 that is ok, but I've come to realize its several shortcomings. Thoughts on the Nikon M7 8x42 vs Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 (vs other better options in the same price range)? Top-line models sadly not within budget.

I'm older and really a minimalist, so this is likely to be my last bino purchase (also upgrading my photo gear as much as I can), so durability is important.

Thanks for any input.

I bought a Fujinon HC 8x42 with a nice discount (it was sold as "store display item" but was BNIB) for 530€. I think they were sometimes sold in the US for around 600$.
Honestly it is far better than any of the China-binos at similar price points that I bought before (often without knowing they were "Made in China"). Both the M7 and Terra are "Made in China" (it's an ongoing debate whether China-binos are great bargains or not, or if China can deliver the same quality as other countries -- in my experience with a rather large collection -- they can't -- if a similarly or slightly more expensive bino would be available that is "made in Japan" -- I'd always prefer that one. That being said, the "Made in the Philippines" binos by Kenko which were also sold under the Sightron brand and as Fujinon "KF"-series are also in general better than similarly priced China-binos. I have a 10x42 Fujinon KF "Made in the Philippines" that has less chromatic abberation than the Svbony SV202 10x50 with "ED"-glass -- btw, I wouldn't get hung up on ED glass at all, it's basically more marketing than anything else.)
The build quality of the HC 8x42 seems very nice, the focuser is buttery smooth, chromatic abberation is absent in the middle (it slightly creeps in at the very edge), FoV is okay with 8°. The sharpness is really good, it has only little field curvature and very little pincushion distortion. I see absolutely no "ill effects" while panning and scanning the scenery. I also like the compact size and ergonomics.
So that would be my recommendation, at least if you can still find it for that price.
It seems there were not all that many sold so far. Mine just carries serial number 505.
If your "minimalism" extends to design preferences you should love that one.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the Nikon M7 8x42 vs Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 (vs other better options in the same price range)? Top-line models sadly not within budget.
This is where things can get tricky. On paper, for example, those Nikon M7 8x42s look quite a bit better than the equivalent Terra Eds (much wider field of view, higher transmission etc. etc.) but, as it happens, when I tried the M7s they didn't agree with me at all and I ended up buying the Terra 8x42s instead.

I found the glare-control of the M7 (especially veiling flare) lacking, where the Terras are quite good in that regard. Also, I found some complex distortion part-way towards the edge of the M7 view which bothered me (though others might not notice or care). Some of that might result from the M7's wider views.

it's likely that the flaws in the view from the M7 happen to hit a couple of my personal dislikes, while those of the Terra don't fuss me that much (for example, I'm not especially sensitive to CA as long as it's reasonably well-controlled). It could be the complete opposite for someone else, who might be far better off with the M7s.

I don't really know what's "out there" at this price-point anymore. There could be something which eclipses the M7 and Terra, which are both old designs. But FWIW, I still have my Terra 8x42s and am happy using them if that's what falls to hand in conditions they're suited to - even though I have other, better, binoculars. I find that they suit me just fine, with the views seeming 'relaxed' and 'comfortable' to me. (Someone else might react to them quite differently, but I don't.)

...Mike

At risk of spamming... I have Trinovid 8x32HD on classifieds and elsewhere on web. Great deal imho :)

I haven't owned the M7's but do own the 8x30HG and they are better than the Trinnies, but also $1k new.
I HAVE owned the Terras and they are nowhere the quality of the Trinovid - not in IQ nor in build quality.

I have two pair of Leupold BX4 8x42's which are in your price range and are excellent for the price. They're also made in Japan so you get very good build quality. They don't have the edge to edge of my EL 8.5x42's but for probably 70% of the FOV they don't give up much to the EL's until the light starts getting very low. They are my go to budget friendly line. The BX5's are great too and sometimes you can find some lightly used ones inside your price range.

I've done research online (lots of web pages with "best birding binoculars", etc.), but as I've been truly amazed by the passion and knowledge of folks here, I thought I'd ask your opinions.

I have an entry-level Nikon 8x42 that is ok, but I've come to realize its several shortcomings. Thoughts on the Nikon M7 8x42 vs Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 (vs other better options in the same price range)? Top-line models sadly not within budget.

I'm older and really a minimalist, so this is likely to be my last bino purchase (also upgrading my photo gear as much as I can), so durability is important.

Thanks for any input.
How much more time do you have to spend on your next choice of glass. You will get many opinions once you have opened the door here. The best advice I can offer is, if possible, go to a distributor and try them your self, see how they fit your eyes and facial eye-socket features, how they feel in your hands. All the reviews in the world are not going to guide you right. The other option is mail order/returns, sadly.

How about this nice pair of MIJ Nikon LX HG 8x42 for $674.99? This was Nikon's alpha before the EDG.

"Brighter, better color fidelity and optically sharper than the Nikon Monarch HG binoculars that are available now.
Excellent condition/ like new, complete with original case, strap and all caps."

Last edited:
Sorry I used to have that glass I could deal with the 7.2 degree FOV however the APOV gave the impression of a keyhole. The 10x42 is a much better glass.

I am going to make this really easy for you! :ROFLMAO:

Over the this past summer I used three binoculars from this exact segment. Those binoculars were the Zeiss Terra ED 8X42, Nikon M7 8X42, and GPO Passion ED 8X42. I would't consider the Terra ED at it's current retail price, period. It's a good binocular but is overshadowed by the other two. The M7 is lightweight and wins the FOV battle. The Passion ED while a little heavier and slightly less FOV than the M7 was easily my favorite. Optics, construction, and focus adjustment were its forte. Really it was pretty easy for me to come to the conclusion it was the best binocular of the three. it really comes across as a more expensive binocular.

9BA688B6-EF7B-4297-9CDE-814573E39946_1_201_a.jpeg

Sorry I used to have that glass I could deal with the 7.2 degree FOV however the APOV gave the impression of a keyhole. The 10x42 is a much better glass.
I agree, but the 8x42 is the one you might get a deal on if nobody bids on it. It is a narrow FOV, but a good view. We are talking less than $600 here.

I am going to make this really easy for you! :ROFLMAO:

Over the this past summer I used three binoculars from this exact segment. Those binoculars were the Zeiss Terra ED 8X42, Nikon M7 8X42, and GPO Passion ED 8X42. I would't consider the Terra ED at it's current retail price, period. It's a good binocular but is overshadowed by the other two. The M7 is lightweight and wins the FOV battle. The Passion ED while a little heavier and slightly less FOV than the M7 was easily my favorite. Optics, construction, and focus adjustment were its forte. Really it was pretty easy for me to come to the conclusion it was the best binocular of the three. it really comes across as a more expensive binocular.

9BA688B6-EF7B-4297-9CDE-814573E39946_1_201_a.jpeg
The build quality of the GPO Passion ED 8x42 never impressed me. It just screamed MIC. I would take the LNIB MIJ Nikon LX 8x42 above any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back