• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for mid-level (US$400-600) 8x42s? (3 Viewers)

I'll put the Athlon Midas 8x42 up against the Vortex Viper any day of the week. I did. I sold my Viper. Now, the Razor is another story. Shouldn't even be in this conversation.

I don't think anyone wanted to argue against that.
Yes, there are decent MiC binos, I have a ton of them and some are excellent, like the Lux HR DDoptics with field flattener and they are one of the shortest 10x50 on the market (or were as they are no longer made).
But at a certain pricepoint you might find something better MiJ for about the same price.
If you find a good deal of course. Like I did with the Fujinon HC for 530€, so less than what currently many of the MiC-mid-range binos go for from Kite, DDoptics or GPO. So my main point was -- if you have a budget of 600$/€ -- you might be able to find a good MiJ either new or slightly used that would beat an MiC roof prism model. I like my Kowa BDII but considering it cost me slightly over 400€, it does have a few weaknesses.
And I bought a used, 20 year old Canon 8x32WP which still has better coatings and less CA than some of my MiC-binos in the 400-500€ range.
But a 140€ MiC Oberwerk Mariner 8x40 is certainy a good binos, as is my MiC 8x32 Celestron Ultima for which I paid 60€ -- for that price you cannot beat it.
Entering the mid-range of up to 600 however. I saw the Meopta Meopro Air 10x42 for around that price point BNIB once. Wish I had bought it. According to the Meopta homepage the lenses are Meopta (so probably ground and coated) and my guess is that therefore the body is from a third party. But I'd definitely prefer a Meopta Meopro Air for 600€ to a MiC roof prism model for the same price.
In Germany you can still find the 8x42 Meopro Air HD 8x42 for 700 which would be only slightly over budget -- however there is shipping and maybe custom fees, taxes which would make it more expensive. Depends on the market of course.
But there are a few good deals to be found for European or Japanese optics at around or even slightly below the 600€/$-mark.

You can get sub $600 binos that aren't chinesium, Leupold BX4's are one of them and are very very nice for the $$ and made in Japan. I own them as well as swaros. There's also a lot of options in the used market.

I've used a lot of chinese binos and to me spending more than Vortex Diamondback HD money on chinesium is pretty dumb.

You can get sub $600 binos that aren't chinesium, Leupold BX4's are one of them and are very very nice for the $$ and made in Japan. I own them as well as swaros. There's also a lot of options in the used market.

I've used a lot of chinese binos and to me spending more than Vortex Diamondback HD money on chinesium is pretty dumb.
Vortex vipers and razors are made in the Philippines, UHD MIJ. Anything below Viper is China.

My Pentax ZD 8x43 WP (not the ED version) are made in Japan and are going for around $400 at the moment. They are my most loved and daily used pair of binoculars for both daytime and astronomy viewing.

Kunming has put out some pretty good binoculars. I don't let MIC sway my choices. It's not like they make them in rice paddies or opium dens.

Kunming has put out some pretty good binoculars. I don't let MIC sway my choices. It's not like they make them in rice paddies or opium dens.
What is ironic (perhaps) is that 99.9% of the posts on this and most all forums are typed and sent on PC's, tablets and phones made in the Far East and predominately China. Of course only between shifts in the rice fields and opium dens!

For what it is worth my wife has, horror amongst horrors, an electric MG SUV made in China. Not a single problem but my Land Rover Defender ( the new one made in Slovakia) was in the dealership so many times that it had an invite to the Staff Xmas party. Gone, forgotten and a new Grenadier is on its way.

Vortex vipers and razors are made in the Philippines, UHD MIJ. Anything below Viper is China.

Older vipers and razors are Japanese and great optics. I wouldn't touch the phillipino stuff, just better out there for the price range. I see Japanese razor and vipers for $300-$400 used pretty regularly though and thats a good buy.

China has practically zero manufacturing standards. They pump out the cheapest stuff they can with the cheapest materials they can. It's not good quality.

What is ironic (perhaps) is that 99.9% of the posts on this and most all forums are typed and sent on PC's, tablets and phones made in the Far East and predominately China. Of course only between shifts in the rice fields and opium dens!

For what it is worth my wife has, horror amongst horrors, an electric MG SUV made in China. Not a single problem but my Land Rover Defender ( the new one made in Slovakia) was in the dealership so many times that it had an invite to the Staff Xmas party. Gone, forgotten and a new Grenadier is on its way.

That's a common way that people defend junk chinesium optics. With electrionics like phones and computers most of them are made their so you really don't have a choice but to be buying chinese made products. The quality of those are also much better than the optics that come out of china. With optics you have a lot of choices for where they're made. Furthermore most of those electronic companies own the manufacturing where the products are produced whereas with optics they are OEM'd so those manufactures have 100% control over what their facility is producing. So hardly a good comparison.

@Redneckbmxer24
My thinking exactly.
The argument, "but XYZ comes from China, too" is the same argument as: "but your smartphone has batteries, so you must like IS-binos" -- the reaction I often read when not agreeing is, "what? You don't like IS-binos? You must be living in a cave then and not use modern technology at all".
The overabundance of products from China (often with batteries) are the EXACT reason, why I try to avoid them in areas where they can be avoided. Especially if that is possible without spending 3x the money I wanted to spend.
And quality (or lack thereof) is only part of the reason.
Regarding KUO products -- I have 2 Oberwerk "Mariner" binos, one in 8x42 and the 10x60. The first one was okay, apart from the horrible eye cups that are way too large and have no click stops. The 10x60 has dust basically sprinkling the whole inside of the right ocular.
Reaction of Oberwerk (not the US but the EU-store) was less than great. (In the end they basically accused me of having opened the bino!)
No more "Obies" for me, that is for sure. Also -- no more MiC-plastic Nikons after my experience with that crappy P7.

That's a common way that people defend junk chinesium optics. With electrionics like phones and computers most of them are made their so you really don't have a choice but to be buying chinese made products. The quality of those are also much better than the optics that come out of china. With optics you have a lot of choices for where they're made. Furthermore most of those electronic companies own the manufacturing where the products are produced whereas with optics they are OEM'd so those manufactures have 100% control over what their facility is producing. So hardly a good comparison.
Some people just don’t get it. China does make a lot of cheap crap, they also make good quality goods. A lot of the optics coming out of China is pretty good stuff for the money , otherwise Nikon, Vortex, Zeiss and a dozen others wouldn’t be having them made there.

What people don’t get is China is a communist country that the west has helped build into a giant monster , that is now a major problem for the world. For the people who don’t see this and continue to do business as usual , are mindless and clueless. A lot of German people were very happy in the mid to late 1930‘s in Germanys economy. Different politics but same human nature.

There are alternatives to buying MIC almost everywhere, if you take the time , read labels , do a tiny bit of research and you’d be surprised how many product’s are available from different sources. Although much of the raw materials , metals , plastics etc. etc. are MIC , everybody can still have an effect if they purchased products made in other countries.

Vortex Vipers are certainly an option as well as a few others. Even buying used China is better. In the $400-$600 range there is amazing glass available used, in great shape. Denco Den a member here just sold a Meopta B1 for under $600, that’s great glass from what I understand. That’s over $1000 glass at over half the price.

This may help a little.

Last edited:
Older vipers and razors are Japanese and great optics. I wouldn't touch the phillipino stuff, just better out there for the price range. I see Japanese razor and vipers for $300-$400 used pretty regularly though and thats a good buy.
Truthfully the Philippines vortex is some good stuff. I previously had the opportunity to test out a multitude of Philippines made, China and an older MIJ versions. And couldn’t say which was better. Made in Philippines is 100 times better than MIC. I was looking at some electric guitars made in the Philippines a few weeks ago, I got a gift certificate for Christmas for guitar center and I was absolutely blown away by the quality for the price point.

Paul

You know first hand pf Kunming's binocular manufacturing practices? Please enlighten me. That is, if you are not just generalizing.

Ohh yeah? Then prove me wrong.

I’m chief procurement officer of a large hardware company of Asian goods. I know first hand of Chinas manufacturing standard or lack there of. But please, enlighten me.
China will make and sell you what you ask for.

If you, as 'chief procurement officer' have asked for low quality goods for a cheap price, then I am fairly certain that the Chinese companies you are dealing with will oblige your request.

In my experience, China has the capability to delivery high quality (aerospace/other high precision goods) if they are required.

Edit - I am now interested in your experiences.... please share ....
Why did you go to China to buy, instead of sourcing hardware locally, if you are not happy with the quality of Chinese goods?
What engineering standards did you specify and what tolerances and materials did you use on your engineering drawings?
Did the company not meet your detail specifications or did you not specify what you required in enough detail (if they used cheapest materials)?

Last edited:
Try an opticron Verano..... an often overlooked binocular brand but this price range, it fits nicely into the quality that takes them to the top. Probably more popular in UK and Europe than in the states but still a great bin. I have a 8x32 Verano and am pleased with it all around. Light, feels like quality....good price. And good support too I might add with Pete G floating around the boards here.... jim

I had the same dilemma a year ago and went with GPO Passion ED 8x42. I've been very happy with the purchase. The view is sharp, bright, wide and comfortable. I've since tested better binos but they were Swarovskis and 3x the price.

GPO has quality management done internally in Germany. It's the quality management that often fails in China. About GPO – German Precision Optics

I cannot really tell anything wrong with the build quality, especially looking at the price. They are built well and the focusing system feels really good. In specs and optics they seem to compete with binoculars at 600-900 $ range. It's probably the Chinese part that allows them to be sold at much lower price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back