• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for mid-level (US$400-600) 8x42s? (8 Viewers)

I thought Dennis was the FOV monitor?:)
He is King, I was just making a subjective observation on a glass I had for over a year. I prefer the Nikon Premier 8X42 (later model of the HG/LX) for sale on Cloudy Nights from a long time member for $450.00. I have nothing against Tract, but the 8X42 is not their best design IMO.

Athlon Midas G2 8x42 has a wonderful wide view. And it's only $300. Compares favorably with more expensive binoculars. And a no questions asked, lifetime warranty.

Here is a comparison of the GPO Passion ED against a couple of other bins:

And here is the detail review of it:

I read all those reviews and I had the GPO ED and the HD, and I wasn't that impressed with either optically or build quality wise. You can TELL they are MIC. For not much more money, the MIJ Nikon MHG 8x42 is a better binocular, IMO. IMO, MIJ just beats MIC 99% of the time. It just seems like the build quality is better and even the armour and materials used are higher quality. Compare an LX side to side with a GPO and you will understand.

Last edited:
For not much more money, the MIJ Nikon MHG 8x42 is a better binocular, IMO. IMO, MIJ just beats MIC 99% of the time.
Even the Made in Philippines Fujinons or Kenkos (Sightrons, too) are better than MiC.
That being said, at least over here the MHG is twice the price of a GPO ED 8x42.
When looking at a cheapo China-bino, I'd go for an Svbony SV202 (the 8x32 cost me 120€ -- for the price it is just fine, even though I don't think it "punches above its price" which is sometimes claimed). I have the strong suspicion it will be very, very similar to the GPO.
Oh, btw -- my 8x42 Fujinon HC MiJ is brighter than my Kite 8x56 which is the same bino as the GPO 8x56 with AK-prisms. It was kind of shocking, really. Especially since I paid the same price. So I'd agree -- most of the time for not that much more (or sometimes even the same money, when it's resellers like Kite, DDoptics, GPO and the likes who add their own margin on top, I guess around 100%) MiJ beats MiC.

I'm well aware of where every binocular I have or have had is made. :rolleyes:
I'm also well aware of potential differences in quality between different places of origin be it actual or pre-conceived.
I'm ALSO well aware that the OP gave a BUDGET in the thread title.

Not everyone has $900 to $1000 to drop on a binocular. I venture to say MOST folks don't have that to spend on a binocular. Guess what? The VAST majority of sub $600 binoculars are going to be MIC. You can't get around it. Like it or not there ARE some decent MIC binoculars. Really the whole point of me buying a couple of $400 binoculars was to see what WAS out there and hopefully have one to two to recommend to those that DON'T have $900 or more to spend. For sure there's no way I'd stick my neck out to recommend a particular binocular if I didn't think it was a good one. I'm not one to use a binocular and then try to sell it "open box" after only a short time. I continue to use binoculars for quite a while. You know, MY word is my bond and really that's all I have. I have to look myself in the mirror each and every morning. And I do.

Here's a list of some good MIC binoculars I've had:

Monarch 7 8X42- I bought this in 2016 and I used it some and knew someone that needed a binocular so I have it to them. He's used it since 2017 going on six years as his only binocular! MIC
Monarch 7 8X30- GREAT binocular! I've used it and abused it. Looks and functions like new. I've had it at least since 03/2018. MIC
Vanguard Endeavor ED II and IV- I feel like the ED-II set the standard for an excellent, inexpensive binocular. I paid about $300 when I bought it which was 2016. Another one I've used and abused. Still functions as new. MIC
Zeiss Terra ED 8X42/8X32- I've had the 8X42 since 2017.. I Probably got the 8X32 around the same time. Even though I'm not crazy about the 8X42 optically compared to some of the others, both are good binoculars. Zero issues. Both are some I loan if need on birding trips. No issues whatsoever and still look and function great. MIC
Opticron Trailfinder T4 WP 7X42- I think I bought it in 2017/18. Price $250. Not many 7X42s and this is about as inexpensive as you can get. Excellent binocular for the money. Not sure of origin...but @ $250 prob MIC
And others....

Of course I'm going to include the Nikon M7 8X42 and the GPO above.

Have a nice day....

Not everyone has $900 to $1000 to drop on a binocular. I venture to say MOST folks don't have that to spend on a binocular. Guess what? The VAST majority of sub $600 binoculars are going to be MIC. You can't get around it. Like it or not there ARE some decent MIC binoculars. Really the whole point of me buying a couple of $400 binoculars was to see what WAS out there and hopefully have one to two to recommend to those that DON'T have $900 or more to spend.
I don't think anyone wanted to argue against that.
Yes, there are decent MiC binos, I have a ton of them and some are excellent, like the Lux HR DDoptics with field flattener and they are one of the shortest 10x50 on the market (or were as they are no longer made).
But at a certain pricepoint you might find something better MiJ for about the same price.
If you find a good deal of course. Like I did with the Fujinon HC for 530€, so less than what currently many of the MiC-mid-range binos go for from Kite, DDoptics or GPO. So my main point was -- if you have a budget of 600$/€ -- you might be able to find a good MiJ either new or slightly used that would beat an MiC roof prism model. I like my Kowa BDII but considering it cost me slightly over 400€, it does have a few weaknesses.
And I bought a used, 20 year old Canon 8x32WP which still has better coatings and less CA than some of my MiC-binos in the 400-500€ range.
But a 140€ MiC Oberwerk Mariner 8x40 is certainy a good binos, as is my MiC 8x32 Celestron Ultima for which I paid 60€ -- for that price you cannot beat it.
Entering the mid-range of up to 600 however. I saw the Meopta Meopro Air 10x42 for around that price point BNIB once. Wish I had bought it. According to the Meopta homepage the lenses are Meopta (so probably ground and coated) and my guess is that therefore the body is from a third party. But I'd definitely prefer a Meopta Meopro Air for 600€ to a MiC roof prism model for the same price.
In Germany you can still find the 8x42 Meopro Air HD 8x42 for 700 which would be only slightly over budget -- however there is shipping and maybe custom fees, taxes which would make it more expensive. Depends on the market of course.
But there are a few good deals to be found for European or Japanese optics at around or even slightly below the 600€/$-mark.

I've done research online (lots of web pages with "best birding binoculars", etc.), but as I've been truly amazed by the passion and knowledge of folks here, I thought I'd ask your opinions.

I have an entry-level Nikon 8x42 that is ok, but I've come to realize its several shortcomings. Thoughts on the Nikon M7 8x42 vs Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 (vs other better options in the same price range)? Top-line models sadly not within budget.

I'm older and really a minimalist, so this is likely to be my last bino purchase (also upgrading my photo gear as much as I can), so durability is important.

Thanks for any input.
You could ad a vortex viper to that mix, I tested all three and the viper best.
And it’s ur lucky day , I have brand new one in the box 8x42 (new 2018 version) Going to list soon $400 shipped

Paul

I read all those reviews and I had the GPO ED and the HD, and I wasn't that impressed with either optically or build quality wise. You can TELL they are MIC. For not much more money, the MIJ Nikon MHG 8x42 is a better binocular, IMO. IMO, MIJ just beats MIC 99% of the time. It just seems like the build quality is better and even the armour and materials used are higher quality. Compare an LX side to side with a GPO and you will understand.
The passion HD is MIJ & their top of the line. Focuser is also superior.
I tested these side by side with five other observers. If I recall we had Conqust, MHG, Trinovid HD and one or two others.
Everybody in the group agreed the GPO was the sharpest with best focuser. But it was not the brightest.

The passion HD is MIJ & their top of the line. Focuser is also superior.
I tested these side by side with five other observers. If I recall we had Conqust, MHG, Trinovid HD and one or two others.
Everybody in the group agreed the GPO was the sharpest with best focuser. But it was not the brightest.
The GPO Passion HD is MIJ and better than the ED, but then you are at $1K.

Last edited:
That is a deal, but they are 10x42's. I don't see no 8x42's.

This is good glass at this price. I had two of these just recently, one had an issue which was replaced promptly. I kept one and have the 2018 model I’m selling. There is very little that separates the pre and post 2018 vipers. The newer version is slightly more neutral and has a larger FOV, that’s it. Got a surprise Razor for Christmas decided to keep that one as well. Interesting fact Razor 10x42 has larger FOV than SF.

This is good glass at this price. I had two of these just recently, one had an issue which was replaced promptly. I kept one and have the 2018 model I’m selling. There is very little that separates the pre and post 2018 vipers. The newer version is slightly more neutral and has a larger FOV, that’s it. Got a surprise Razor for Christmas decided to keep that one as well. Interesting fact Razor 10x42 has larger FOV than SF.
The Razor is a surprisingly good glass. I just sold a Razor 12x50, and it was excellent. The only reason I sold it was I couldn't hold it steady enough without a tripod. The Razor UHD 12x50 is ranked above the Leica UVHD 12x50 on Allbinos. Right below the Swarovision. Nothing will beat the Swarovision. Swarovski's are hard to beat! That Austrian glass is hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back