• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper ID help please (1 Viewer)

mikeivan

While birding yesterday in Galveston, TX at a bayside mudflat, I got excited trying to get what I thought was a Greater and a Lesser Yellowlegs in the same photo. I had limited success and when I got the photos up on my computer, I discovered that the smaller bird was not a Lesser Yellowlegs but a Sandpiper of unknown species (to me). I am hoping someone can help me identify it.

IMG_2660nra.jpg IMG_2577a.jpg
Here they are together. Of course, I now realize that Yellowlegs could be a Lesser.

IMG_2636cal.jpg IMG_2595a.jpg
And here he is by himself. I know this is difficult with nothing for scale. He seemed small but not tiny.

My three alternatives are: Pectoral, Semipalmated and Least Sandpiper. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Yes, its a Pectoral Sand. The size build and leg colour are a unique combination in a US context

I'm sure those confronted with a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper in the colonies will make good use of this valuable and accurate ID tip....

CJW; said:
I'm sure those confronted with a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper in the colonies will make good use of this valuable and accurate ID tip....

Sharpies are of course to be expected in Texas!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back