• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron SV ED anyone? (1 Viewer)

has530

I found these on their Japanese website and cannot find any info about them anywhere but they sure look interesting. 1k+ price point, ED glass, MIJ, magnesium body, AK prisms, 8 deg FOV... seems to have the makings of a very nice offering so my question is: Does anyone have any experience or info on these? Has anyone seen anything like these offered on the worldwide market? Anyone willing to take the plunge?

Link to the Japanese website here.

Last edited:
They are interesting, but I don't like the 34 oz. weight. I think at the $1000 price point I would take a Nikon Monarch HG with it's 24 oz. weight and wider 8.3 degree FOV. Also, they don't seem to be available in the US market.

They are interesting, but I don't like the 34 oz. weight. I think at the $1000 price point I would take a Nikon Monarch HG with it's 24 oz. weight and wider 8.3 degree FOV. Also, they don't seem to be available in the US market.
I think the weight might be a consequence of the need for more frame and armor material to accommodate the less compact AK prisms. They aren't available in the US market but it is fairly easy to get them. For example kyoei-osaka stocks them and will ship worldwide. What really caught my eye was the similarity in spec and looks to the zeiss victory HT. I wonder if it is possible given the rumors of zeiss having optical components made in japan for some time, now that the x42 HT models have been discontinued if these could be a re-armored and re-badged optical clone.

The Zeiss HT 8x42 is quite a bit different with the double bridge focuser, and it is much shorter and lighter. I know Kamakura of Japan builds the Zeiss Conquest HD, so it is possible the HT and these could both be made by Kamakura under different specifications, though. It is just a guess, though.

By optical clone I more meant utilize the same optical design in a different body. The weight difference (5 Oz) and length difference (2/3") could be explained by heavier armor, a wider bridge, and deeper recessed objectives. Either way such thought will never be more than speculation, I just want to know if anyone has any thoughts or experience!

By optical clone I more meant utilize the same optical design in a different body. The weight difference (5 Oz) and length difference (2/3") could be explained by heavier armor, a wider bridge, and deeper recessed objectives. Either way such thought will never be more than speculation, I just want to know if anyone has any thoughts or experience!
That is going to be hard to find somebody that has actually tried the Sightron SV ED even on Bird Forum. I can't find any reviews on it either on the internet. Why don't you buy one and let us know if you like it? You can always return it if you don't like it. It is an interesting binocular and the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 is famous for the value it brings to the table at the price point they are sold for, so this SV ED might be a real bargain, especially since it is MIJ.

Last edited:
It looks like a Vortex UHD clone.
You're right, but the Vortex UHD is much more expensive, maybe because of the Schott Glass? They also look like a Maven B2 9x45, and they all have AK prisms. They are probably all Japanese Kamakura clones made to slightly different specifications. I would buy the Maven B2 9x45, and you will probably get a similar binocular to the Sightron SV ED and have a better warranty and support. Pictures are from Amazon.com and Sightron. SV 842EDDH.jpg81iTr6ydwDL._AC_SX679_.jpg81Tjnr1ouNL._AC_SX679_.jpgwebsites.

Last edited:
I'm a bit perplexed by the sightron cytron (does this have to do with trademarks related to the notions of sales or manufature) . They mention in the "about" heading that products, parts are made in the US, Japan, China. I realise that companies seem to be reluctant to state where the product is made becuase of the buyers perception that a product that is made in one country is crap but from the other countries is good, but I like the looks of the AK binos. I have also found that they apparently they don't make binos in the Philippines any longer?) Regards, Pat

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I think the price difference can be readily explained by vortex's added markups for their warranty, marketing, importing...etc.
If it is a Vortex UHD 8x42 clone $929 is a pretty good price because the lowest price I can find for the Vortex UHD 8x42 in the US is at B&H for $1299 with special pricing.

Here is a detailed review in Japanese.
I took a peek at it at the Cytron booth at the Japanese Bird Festival and it was very good!

I wonder how stable and built the eyecups are as well as function. I have not seen these in the US for sale. I much prefer this to the 9X45 format of the Maven.

The Mavens build quality is way above the Vortex and all Vortex are made in China now. Would bet the Sightrons are as well. Every Sightron I’ve ever held has had very poor build quality. Including one that took 4 full rotations of the focus ring to go from close to infinity. It also required a vice grip around the focus wheel to turn it!

Evidently I’m wrong about that but not too many years ago I talked to one of the owners of Vortex and he told me Vortex moved All their production to China. Told me they were better than the MIJs because they had all new machinery. The UHD was not in production at that time.

If Maven could only fix their eye cup function and reduce the size of their 42,50 mm glass. I am not speaking about their smaller 30 models size wise.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back