• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski digiscoping (1 Viewer)

mooskibaby

Hello,

I have a Swarovski ATS 65 HD scope and a Canon S31S camera and I was wondering if anyone knew of an adaptor for the two so that I could digiscope.

The other option is to somehow connect my iPhone 5C to my scope, so am again looking at an adaptor to digiscope. Most adaptors it seems cater for the iPhone 5/5S NOT the 5C.

I'm looking at one of these but am trying to way up my options especially in regards to cost.

Can anyone point me in the right place?

Many thanks,

Anna

Hi Anna,
I suspect your camera is not suitable for digiscoping. Cameras with a long zoom usually produce too much vignetting or don't work at all. Before buying anything, you should try a few handheld pics, to see if there is any potential at all.

Your iphone should work much better, and adapters are also cheaper or can be selfmade easier.

I have a Swaro ATM HD 80, which has probably the same eyepiece diameter than yours. The Kowa adapter fits well on the eyepiece and can be easily adapted to fit your phone (you may need to buy an extra protection case for your iphone), see this post: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=314661

Another option is to make something yourself: buy a protective hardcase for your phone and find a tube fitting tightly onto the eyepiece. (for some scopes, the eyepiece cap can be used, but the Swaro rubber cap is too flabby) Then you clue this togehter well centered on the camera lens.

Cheers, Florian

The Kowa adapter fits well on the eyepiece and can be easily adapted to fit your phone (you may need to buy an extra protection case for your iphone), see this post: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=314661

This is what I did - bought the Kowa adaptor for an iphone 4 which then didn't fit the iphone 6, but just forcibly dismantled it and glued it on to a cheap phone case and hey presto!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back