• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss open bridge? Vote now! (1 Viewer)

Ah, but let's not forget the original open hinge - the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt (Classic), and some might say the best. They fit my hands perfectly allowing my thumbs underneath in a way no other open hinge does.

Nev

Ah, but let's not forget the original open hinge - the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt (Classic), and some might say the best. They fit my hands perfectly allowing my thumbs underneath in a way no other open hinge does.

Nev
I fully agree with you.

Nev

Yes, it could be, but for the not so inconspicuous rod running down the middle :cat:

Like I told Zeiss in the survey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it......I have 2 FL's (medium & large) and they're just fine.

I cannot understand why people prefer an open bridge. I have one, a 7x36 Zend ED2, which I bought for the optics, not the envelope.
I suspect that the open hinge requires a more complicated gear train.

Does it truly make a difference at ten power or for a 42 mm objective?
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
I think the current FL is quite comfortable and lightweight. I don't think I need Zeiss to make me an open bridge right now.

Did anybody actually take the survey? There's no box for write-in suggestions. They are just looking to see if you are going to buy a Zeiss in the next 12 months and how much you are willing to pay for it. The choices included:

1. An arm
2. A leg
3. Non-vital organs

They asked: What brands are you considering for your next binocular purchase?

But they only let you pick one brand. So I checked "Nikon" just to bust their chops for making a survey that didn't allow any real user input.

Here's my alternative Zeiss survey:

1. Would you prefer if Zeiss returned to making high quality porros instead of ridiculously expensive roofs?

YES!

2. Would you prefer if Zeiss moved all of its manufacturing to Eastern Europe so buyers didn't have to pay through the nose for the highest labor costs in Europe?

YES!

3. Would you prefer if Zeiss made binoculars with more gradual fall off at the edges even if it meant sacrificing a smidgen of centerfield sharpness?

YES!

4. If Zeiss also continued to make roofs, but in Eastern Europe to reduce costs, would you prefer an open bridge design?

YES!

5. Would you like to see Zeiss chose a random respondent to this survey and give him or her a brand new pair of Zeiss binoculars?

YES!

6. What would you do with your free Zeiss binoculars?

Sell it on eBay, buy a "pre-owned" Carl Zeiss 8x50 Octarem, and use the remainder to pay off the national debt.

Submit

Oh, crap, I forgot to give them my name and address!

Last edited:
Zeiss are in the process of developing a new binocular to challenge the New Swarovski EL.
I discussed this with the Zeiss chaps at last years UK birdfair and this years. They can't decide whether to do a open bridge or closed bridge design so they are now asking the consumers.
I heard that the new bins should be around for next years Birdfair.

Brock, ya missed it.....there a little comments window at the end. But if you had put all those wishes in there, the entire Zeiss staff would be totally bewildered.....completely taken aback. There would be looks of puzzlement, hand wringing, head scratching, mumbling & musing......"....ve haf verked awl zees years to liminate ze dogsleg in ze binoculars, und now zay vant it back? Ach du lieber!!"

Brock, ya missed it.....there a little comments window at the end. But if you had put all those wishes in there, the entire Zeiss staff would be totally bewildered.....completely taken aback. There would be looks of puzzlement, hand wringing, head scratching, mumbling & musing......"....ve haf verked awl zees years to liminate ze dogsleg in ze binoculars, und now zay vant it back? Ach du lieber!!"

I just took the survey again, and still no comments window at the end, perhaps it's my browser (Firefox 5) or perhaps you are fibbing. But I put in another vote for Nikon and increased my price range this time, so hopefully that will make them worried. :)

Great phonetic accent!

A while back, I speculated (wildly) on why Zeiss turned to roofs and abandoned the "dogsleg" design.

It certainly wasn't because users demanded it, this was before p-coating and when there were only a handful or roofs made and porros ruled the earth.

I suspected that it had to do with Zeiss West wanting to distinguish itself from Zeiss East (Jena), which was making excellent porros based on the original Zeiss design and selling them at a less expensive price.

Why would people pay more $ for mooreorless the same porros? Well, for one, they weren't "commie" bins. You can see that even today there is a "Red backlash" against Chinese bins by some binofans.

None-the-less, Zeiss on both sides of the Berlin Wall were producing very similar products. Advancing the roof model gave Zeiss West something different to offer the public.

And this difference had its appeal, as this review on BVD characterized the pre-p coated Leitz Trinovid:

"Their handling, their durability, their weatherproofness and that certain panache that goes with owning precision European roof prism binoculars convinced many a birder that their view was better than it actually was."

Source: http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Swift-Eaglet-and-Nikon-Action-Egret-II.php

Brock

I just took the survey again, and still no comments window at the end...

Could it be that you took the wrong survey?

There are two of them on the same page. One down on the page which sound like the one you described, and another to the right on the page, which specifically asks about the open bridge design.

Don't take the one by the text "ZEISS Binocular Survey. You have an opinion - we want to hear it! Take a few seconds to complete our short survey".
Try "Take our Brief Binocular Preference Survey and enter to win a Victory Compact! Your opinion matters to us." instead...

Best Regards,
Patrik Iver

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back