• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x32FL Vs Leica Trinovid 8x32BN ramblings (7 Viewers)

Three reasons, actually:

1. The CL is "real", it's available right now. The two Leicas are still vaporware, and nobody knows when they'll arrive. Or, indeed, if they arrive, ever. Leica, for instance, doesn't answer any questions as to when the Trinovids will become available. That's bad style, at the very least.

2. The CL is the lightest of the lot, with a weight below 500 gr. That's something I really want, for trips in, say, the mountain regions in Norway or in the Alps. That's why the big boys (42mm binoculars or larger) are right out. BTW, the lightest 42mm binoculars with excellent optics are the Habicht porros (7x42, 10x40).

3. Despite some niggles with the focusers the Swarovskis have been among the most reliable premium binoculars for the past 10 years or so. Reliability is something I find very important, more important than many other features.

Hermann

Thanks Hermann

I see. I understand you have much experience with optics to the point that the customer service and reputation of the manufacturer carries weight with you as much as the performance of the optics.

I guess that's as it should be, after all you are spoiled for choice with Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski companies right on your doorstep.

Weight is of not much importance to me. I do about 4 or 5 Munros (large Scottish Mountains) per year and functionality / robustness is of more import to me than weight (I am pretty heavy myself LOL!) and I have no doubt your views on the Habicht are accurate but they are probably fragile instruments?.

I'm going to go now and look into these Swaro CL.

What is the best mid sized Swaro roof optically regardless of weight or price? And does the view surpass the Leica / Zeiss competitor?

Cheers

Last edited:
According to Swarovski they are, but I`m assuming they mean in the prisms and elements used, personally I feel they may have altered the coatings a bit, the FP has a very slightly warmer hue to me.

There`s more to the FP than just the strap attachments, the focus is much improved, also the new armour is simply in another league to any current competitor, IMHO.

Right well if you have actually used them both then that's what counts. Thanks for that.

I wasn't aware that the focus / armour had been updated either so that is interesting. I can now discount the previous version and shortlist the FP version.

Great info thanks a lot.:t:

...I wasn't aware that the focus / armour had been updated either so that is interesting. I can now discount the previous version and shortlist the FP version...

I believe the focus was improved sometime before the switch to FP.

FP lug bumps my hand the way I prefer to grip the bin, and the FP connection allows for annoying strap twists.

--AP

I'm not saying this was a typical example from Zeiss but this put me off Zeiss yet again! There have been people on this forum who have had the same experience I understand.

Regards usage of the new bin, I have moved to the East of Scotland now (1/4 the rainfall and less of the dreaded Midge) and am in Kirriemuir Angus. I have Kinnordy etc within walking distance ( Wild beaver living there and in much of the Tay drainage, not officially recognised, they say they are only over in Knapdale Argyll this is not true. I have seen them in Knapdale but here also) I'm 10 mins drive from the Cairngorms national Park so I'm inland now as opposed to Inverkip in the West that was on the coast and I won't be doing as much sea watching. I was lucky enough in my first few months here to get a pair of Marsh Harrier and it's given me the birding bug again! Hawfinch at Scone and Bearded Tit on the Tay Marshes next!!

Thanks for the advice I will take on board your positive experience with the SF and mull it over.

Best regards

Hi Dude
I'm shocked to hear about the Conquest. This model has a very strong following on this forum and I don't recall any instance such as you describe.

Now that you are near the Cairngorms take a tip. If you hike up Carn ban Mor from Glen Feshie you have a great chance of Dotterel as well as Ptarmigan and some great alpine flowers.

Lee

I believe the focus was improved sometime before the switch to FP.

FP lug bumps my hand the way I prefer to grip the bin, and the FP connection allows for annoying strap twists.

--AP

I been looking again today and feel a bit foolish, I have been going on about the EL SV but now I see the newest version seems to be an EL WB.

Do you know what the difference is?

Swaro's are a bit confusing in their naming of bins.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip Lee, much appreciated, I will note that down, Dotterel would be a tick in the book I don't yet have.

This Year I've climben Ben Macdui, Carn Gorm and Lochnagar but alas it was with a bunch of walking friends and I did't have any bins on hand. Loads of Red Deer Stags on the boggy ground at the foot of Lochnagar. And loads of Midges too!

I've seen Ring Ouzel en route up to the funicular railway on Cairn Gorm from the road.

I've been on some low level walks with the wife around the bottom of Glen Feshie, Uath Lochans etc but never had the chance to go further up the Glen. Hopefully I will get up there in the new year. When is the best months for Dotterel is it the high summer?

Thanks

I been looking again today and feel a bit foolish, I have been going on about the EL SV but now I see the newest version seems to be an EL WB.

Do you know what the difference is?

Swaro's are a bit confusing in their naming of bins.

Thanks

Blame us on Bird Forum Dude. The original EL was called EL WB and when it was updated with field flattener technology that was called Swarovision, but still called EL WB, we began referring to it on here as EL SV (for Swarovision) to distinguish it from the earlier model.

Clear as mud?

Lee

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Lee, much appreciated, I will note that down, Dotterel would be a tick in the book I don't yet have.

This Year I've climben Ben Macdui, Carn Gorm and Lochnagar but alas it was with a bunch of walking friends and I did't have any bins on hand. Loads of Red Deer Stags on the boggy ground at the foot of Lochnagar. And loads of Midges too!

I've seen Ring Ouzel en route up to the funicular railway on Cairn Gorm from the road.

I've been on some low level walks with the wife around the bottom of Glen Feshie, Uath Lochans etc but never had the chance to go further up the Glen. Hopefully I will get up there in the new year. When is the best months for Dotterel is it the high summer?

Thanks

Dude
Best time for Dotties is from very end of May to middle of August. If you see a male in July or later don't approach too closely as it likely has youngsters nearby and they can be hard to see sometimes so watch where you put your feet.
Glen Feshie is magnificent (Golden Eagle carrying a hare, Osprey carrying a large fish, Ring Ouzel, Crossbill) but also for more than birds: Small White Orchid and various dragonflies.

Cheers Lee

Blame us on Bird Forum Dude. The original EL was called EL WB and when it was updated with field flattener technology that was called Swarovision, but still called EL WB, we began referring to it on here as EL SV (for Swarovision) to distinguish it from the earlier model.

Clear as mud?

Lee

Ha Ha! that's a relief maybe I'm not going mad after all.:t:

I have decided I'm going for either a NV, newest SF or newest EL SV (or FP or WB or whatever the right name is!WTF!SHTF!OMG!GTF!).

I'm not going to agonise over the particular specs as I am certain all 3 will be spectacular examples of top end optics and of the best quality. I've glanced at the talk on here of a NV diopter issue but I thinks it's a minor and disputed thing?

What I am agonising about though is which of these 3 handles stray light the best and has the least flaring issues.

Allbinos states for the EL SV (or WB or whatever)..... regards internal reflections.... 'Weak for this class of equipment. A lot of flares and small false pupils.' And 'area near the exit pupil a bit too light.'.

Now I don't like the sound of that at all even though it seems to be the only flaw this bin has. The Victory FL 32 was perfect in every way apart from this flaring and I couldn't enjoy it due to that.

I find it strange that the whole topic of flaring control gets little attention, most seem interested in CA or flatness of field, edge sharpness, pincushions with rolling balls etc etc. I've always felt flaring can ruin the performance of an optic more than anything else.

Maybe it's just me and my madness! or how far north I am with low sun in winter etc but I would go for whatever bin out of the 3 listed above that controls stray light best, regardless of weight etc.

Any views on this issue of flaring? Particularly with regards to the 3 bins referred to above? I.E. what is best at correcting this parameter in the design.

Cheers

Last edited:
Dude
Best time for Dotties is from very end of May to middle of August. If you see a male in July or later don't approach too closely as it likely has youngsters nearby and they can be hard to see sometimes so watch where you put your feet.
Glen Feshie is magnificent (Golden Eagle carrying a hare, Osprey carrying a large fish, Ring Ouzel, Crossbill) but also for more than birds: Small White Orchid and various dragonflies.

Cheers Lee

Great, I will take that advice and look out below.

That's some once in a lifetime sights you've had there, I've had an Osprey diving and out with a decent sized trout, but a Golden Eagle with a catch is a rare thing indeed! Well done!!.

I've had many a Crossbill but I'm not confident that any have ever been the Scottish one, just can't ID for sure although I've seen Crossbill in the place they are reported to be. Just can't tick it for sure.

What bins is it you use mainly?

Cheers

According to Swarovski they are, but I`m assuming they mean in the prisms and elements used, personally I feel they may have altered the coatings a bit, the FP has a very slightly warmer hue to me.

There`s more to the FP than just the strap attachments, the focus is much improved, also the new armour is simply in another league to any current competitor, IMHO.

Have you had any issues with Flaring or stray light interfering with the view using the EL FP?

Thanks

I appreciate it is a big ask and unreasonable to expect that someone has all 3 of the aforementioned binoculars on hand to give a direct comparison, that's about £6k worth of optics.

All I seek to discover is which one has the better stray light / flaring control.

If individual owners of each aforementioned optic can share their experience re: flaring then I can get a feel for which one to buy.

Thanks Gents

Have you had any issues with Flaring or stray light interfering with the view using the EL FP?

Thanks

It's pretty much a non issue on the 42mm, it's not immune in the way the NV is reported to be, but it is superior to my Meopta and when I had it my Leica Ultravid, occasionally noticeable but never an issue.

Great, I will take that advice and look out below.

That's some once in a lifetime sights you've had there, I've had an Osprey diving and out with a decent sized trout, but a Golden Eagle with a catch is a rare thing indeed! Well done!!.

I've had many a Crossbill but I'm not confident that any have ever been the Scottish one, just can't ID for sure although I've seen Crossbill in the place they are reported to be. Just can't tick it for sure.

What bins is it you use mainly?

Cheers

I use a variety of binos but the ones that get really hammered most of the time are SF 8x42 (fov, handling) and Conquest HD 8x32 (fast focus).

We watch otter behaviour for extended periods and SF's handling makes it easy to keep the binos up and steady. Pick them up with your fingers around the barrel and your first finger is on the focus wheel without you having to think about it. And as mentioned already, when on Islay in November for the geese, swans, raptors, seals and otters, with the sun low in the sky all day and every day I never found flare a problem.

When visiting habitats rich with dragonflies, butterflies and birds, I use the Conquest as its focus speed means you can get on a nearby dragonfly then quickly onto a disappearing distant bird and then get straight back onto a close butterfly because its focus is so fast, but not so fast that you overshoot.

Other great all-round binos I carry from time to time are Meopta B1 MeoStar 8x32, Kowa Genesis 8x33 and more recently Opticron Traveller 8x32 and Imagic 8x42.

Lee

Dude

Here is what we have settled on through custom and usage on the Forum:

1st Swaro EL: 'original EL' or 'first EL WB'
2nd EL with Swarovision: EL SV
Current version with Field Pro Accessories: EL FP

Other translation services are available. :-O

Lee

Great, detailed original post, and very interesting to have the later perspectives and commentary. I wonder whether the original poster wishes he had kept hold of the Trinovid BA?

I have used an 8.5x42 EL.SV.FP a fair bit and can say the 8.5x mag works very well, for me, in practice. The extra half mag makes more of a difference than one would think while still being able to be held steadier than a 10x. 8.5x has a pretty solid history in birding - the Swift Audubons have been 8.5x for decades, and are regarded as classics.

Hello,

I'm new here and know nothing about birds! I found this forum and thread while searching the internet for information on Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN binoculars.

I have the unique opportunity to buy a brand new pair of Trinovid 8x32 BNs from a local camera store. Just to reiterate... brand new, never been sold, in the original box, with all the accessories and paperwork. They are asking $900 CDN (535 GBP or 765 USD) and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. What do you all think?

FWIW, I've spent the last week comparing them to the last generation Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion bins. I find the Trinovids are more forgiving with how I place my eyes, fit my larger hands better and have exceptional flare control. I also find the Leica colours to be more saturated. Chromatic aberrations are slightly less visible with the CLs. Sharpness was hard to compare, as one was 8x and the other 10x, but if I was forced to make a call, I'd actually guess that the Trinovids have the edge!
Is this possible, or am I nuts?

Cheers!

Hello Yuk,

Although it is a decade, or more old, I would say yes, if you like it. The mirrored surfaces are silver, not dielectric and the eye relief is not generous but it was one of the top dogs, fifteen years ago.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Thank you Pinewood!

I don't know anything about silver, or dielectric mirrored surfaces. Should this matter to me? As for eye relief, I seem not to be having any problems, so I'm guessing it's a nonissue?

There is a slight improvement in the light transmission percentage for dielectric mirrored surfaces vs silver.
From a practical perspective, it is meaningless imho.
The BN is a classic, a superbly robust and optically excellent glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back