• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

historical meteorological charts (1 Viewer)

scodger

Hi

Looking back over some old Yorkshire reports it occured to me that it would be useful to know what the weather had been for the proceeding day or so where there had been an interesting bird or influx eg redwings, etc, I found this link, you can search for any date going way back ... I need to read up how to interpret this as it doesn't show wind speed and direction, however once you can interpret that it may be useful for anyone researching back.

Maybe someone else knows of better maps or other resources going back a long time? Perhaps you could post details here

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/tkreaar2.htm

Cheers

Scodger

historical charts

Thanks Mark

I had seen those and they are good but only go from late 1990's, I was looking at YNU reports of major blackbird influx on the east coast in Nov 1961 which prompted my enquiry. I need to get to grips with which way the wind is blowing as it's not clear on the chart, I'm sure it's possible to tell from the chart somehow

Cheers

Scodger

The German maps are fine - a degree in languages is hardly needed, the maps themselves are the same in any language. Other than that you just press 'zeigen' after entering whichever date you require (and months are basically the same in German)

meteorological charts

Excellent resources, thanks guys

Useful for looking back at falls, vagrants, migration arrival etc. I'm doing quite a lot of research on old annual reports at the moment so interesting to look at weather leading up to the event

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back