• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner from North Norfolk (1 Viewer)

hobbielancie

Hello all. This is my first post ;) I have lived in the Fakenham area for 3 years and I want to get involved in bird watching in the area. I have just purchased a cheap scope (on a tight budget) and also want to do some digiscoping. What is your advice for someone very new.

Thank you in advance. |=)|

Dave

Hello all. This is my first post ;) I have lived in the Fakenham area for 3 years and I want to get involved in bird watching in the area. I have just purchased a cheap scope (on a tight budget) and also want to do some digiscoping. What is your advice for someone very new.

Dave

Hi Dave.

I have two main pieces of advice. Firstly, don't try to do too much too soon. If you are just starting birdwatching then I would firstly spend some time in the local area with binoculars, finding birds and trying to identify them. Once you are more used to this, then take the telescope out and try further away birds, but also getting better views of the closer stuff. Finally once you are used to your telescope, start digiscoping. With all three elements you will improve with practice, and also by asking other people for help.

My second piece of advice based on your location is to go to Sculthorpe Moor nature reserve a lot! I really like it, but importantly they get a lot of birds on feeders, which means that by sitting in a hide the birds will come to you, enabling good views and hopefully good photos! I've had great views of Bullfinches there this summer, and Brambling & Water Rail in the winter. By going there throughout the seasons you will not only see different birds, but also different plumages. You may also meet other people from the area who can advise on more local sites to visit.

Good luck!

James

Dave

You have an excellent reserve on your doorstep, Sculthorpe Moor. Here you can see a variety of woodland species and then check the reed beds. The views from the woodland hide are good and will allow you to study the birds and become familiar with them. Lookout for organised walks, RSPB at Titchwell, do them. You can learn a great deal on these.

Good luck

Phil

Dave

Hi Dave,
Take a look at the 'Tips for New Birders' forum and trawl back through it. You will find many points covered. You are defo in a great county to learn many of the aspects of birdwatching. Have fun.

Well I have started a list :t: Have got 16 species so far, Pied Wagtail being the latest. I suppose we all have to start somewhere so I am pleased. Probably go over to Sculthorpe Moor Tomorrow to see what is going on.|=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back