• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've got a week......... (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
.....to meander up to Anglesey and back from South Hants (6th -13th March) birdwatching along the way.

Slimbridge and Ynis-hir are already on the list for a visit, views of Red kites will be sought in appropriate areas without resorting to the feeding circuses.

Are there any "must sees" anyone would like to recommend somewhere en route?

Is it a bit early for a visit to South Stack?

You could try Worlds End (see this months birdwatching for location) not been myself for years but it used to be good for Black Grouse and Xbills plus quite a few raptors. If you dont get any Chough (although you should) at South Stack try Aberdaron at the end of the lleyn peninsula. don't know if the Black Guillemots will be back at Puffin Island but it's worth a look. Elan Valley near Rhayader is also a good area for a visit (although even better in May/June) lots of Kite/other raptors plus a GGS is wintering at present.

Have fun.

nick

Goshawks at the RSPB New Fancy View watchpoint in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire?

I've not been myself, but Dad was very impressed after trying it last year - he got frequent, fairly close views of 4 or 5 different birds. Speaking to other people, it sounds like this is one of the very best sites in the country for the species at the moment.

The Goshawks sound interesting, we'll be staying within scoping distance of them for the first night, I'll look out the Worlds End details too. Thanks for that.

Elan Valley is normally at the very least always a lunch stop on the journey, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the GGS, although I've been fortunate enough to see a couple in the New Forest this year.

I might just have to borrow the SEOs from the other N.Wales thread too!

(Thanks Mods for moving this here)

dbradnum said:
Goshawks at the RSPB New Fancy View watchpoint in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire?

I've not been myself, but Dad was very impressed after trying it last year - he got frequent, fairly close views of 4 or 5 different birds. Speaking to other people, it sounds like this is one of the very best sites in the country for the species at the moment.

Have a look at my thread on my birding day

7 Raptor day! Its all about the Forest of Dean
(Goshawk, Buzzard and Peregrine all from Fancy's!!)
Def worth the trip!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back