• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ultravid 10x50 (1 Viewer)

randman

What are the benefits of using a large objective 50mm or 56mm on a 10 power bino? I would be using them in the most demanding light conditions. If am using a 10x bino is the extra objective size neccessary?

I will still carry them, hence I am leaning toward the 34 oz ultravids. Any others with bigger objectives? A wider field of view?

Would this be the ultimate viewing experience? I would like to glass for hours feeling comfortable (eyeball work). I want the 10x to feel as comfortable as working the 7x...know what I mean?

Thanks

Better light gathering (for lack of a better term) in dawn/dusk/night conditions.

I'd avoid getting a 50 for primary use. I have 12x50s, and they're a little taxing after a while. A nice set of 10x40/10x42s should do well in most situations. If that's not sufficient, perhaps a secondary pair for when it is most extreme.

Obviously, since you're asking this in the Leica forum, you're probably not too concerned on price. Ultravids or Zeiss FL 42s might fit your situation well.

IMHO, 10x50 Ultravid is the best 10x50 glass available in the market, period. It can deliver knock-your-socks-off views in certain situations. To my eyes Nikon 10x42SE is excellent in most scenarios, however, when it comes to astronomical applications, Trinovid/Ultravid beat it hands down. No contest at all. Contrary to traditional booksmart (Porros being superior to Roofies), I found that the view is much better in Leicas than in SE. Scanning along the milky way with Ultravid/Trinovid is truthy a transcendental experience.

Another situation that Leica 10x50s really shine is during sunset. The color rendition of twilight is simply the best. No competition so far. (I have compared it with Swarovski 10x50SLC, 10x42SE, 8x56 Night Owl, 10x40 Victory and so on.....) Enjoying the silhouette of a nearby tree against the golden-reddish background with my beloved Leica is my favourite pastime. The glass is literally unputdownable.

So, is it an ultimate viewing experience? Well, it depends on your application. If your primary interest is birding, then 10x50 glass may be a little overkill for your purpose. If you are perfectionist, then it should have a seat in your arsenal.

P.S. Sorry for my poor English 'coz it is my second langauge.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back