• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ultravids - odd question (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have just been offered a pair of secondhand 8x42 ultravids and am very tempted to them. I've looked through them and they seem to be optically perfect, also the focus seems good (none of the problems I've heard can occur).
However when the eyecups are in the down position there is a gap between them and the rubber armouring of the bins (see picture). From pictures I've seen of ultravids online this seems wrong - anyone know why this would be the case and if it's a sign of any problem.

Attachments

• ultras.jpg
    ultras.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 395
A gap that wide means that the eyecups are not fully retracted. There should be about a mm or so of a gap in normal cases.

Kimmo

postcardcv said:
I have just been offered a pair of secondhand 8x42 ultravids and am very tempted to them. I've looked through them and they seem to be optically perfect, also the focus seems good (none of the problems I've heard can occur).
However when the eyecups are in the down position there is a gap between them and the rubber armouring of the bins (see picture). From pictures I've seen of ultravids online this seems wrong - anyone know why this would be the case and if it's a sign of any problem.

The Ultravid eyecups work like this:

When they are fully closed they are flush with the housing. Since they screw in and out, you just unscrew them (counter clockwise) to fully extend them.

There are a couple of click stops along the way and some open space. Let's close a fully open eyecup. You get 2 clicks, some open space, then a final click very close to the housing. DO NOT push them...the screw in and out!

Someone posted that the Ultravid eyecups are hard plastic and that's not quite true. The part of the eyecup that rests against eyeglasses is made of a very high quality, flexible rubber.

In the photo, it appears the eyecups are not screwed in all the way.

John

Hi John,

You 'phoned me earlier about this problem. Now I have seen the picture I think I may have a solution. The removable eyepiece sleeves for each size of Ultravid are different lengths. A number of people lose these parts when they remove them for cleaning. I think it is very likely that the parts in question have been replaced at some time and the owner either asked for or was given a set for a different glass, e.g. a 10x42 or a BL instead of a BR. I will take the necessary (correct) parts to the Bird Fair and if you can make it it should be a quick and easy cure.

Gary

Gary Hawkins said:
Hi John,

You 'phoned me earlier about this problem. Now I have seen the picture I think I may have a solution. The removable eyepiece sleeves for each size of Ultravid are different lengths. A number of people lose these parts when they remove them for cleaning. I think it is very likely that the parts in question have been replaced at some time and the owner either asked for or was given a set for a different glass, e.g. a 10x42 or a BL instead of a BR. I will take the necessary (correct) parts to the Bird Fair and if you can make it it should be a quick and easy cure.

Gary

Thanks for that info Gary - I will try and get to birdfair on the Friday (though may not be able to make it). If I don't, could I arrange for you to send me the corrent eye cups?

Peter

heres a pic of mine in the 'down' position mate - notice they are fully flush with the rubber.

Attachments

• ultravid 10x42br.JPG
    ultravid 10x42br.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 355
salty said:
heres a pic of mine in the 'down' position mate - notice they are fully flush with the rubber.

Cheers for that mate.

It seems that Gary has the answer/solution, so I just need to get to bird fair now...

Those are the BR rubber caps. The BL are tapered in the opposite direction ever so slightly... i.e. larger at the eyepeice, and thinner at the base where they contact the body.

That does appear to be in the first click position, not the fully seated position.

Here's another photo of them which shows that the gap is there even when the eyecups are fully down.

Attachments

• ultras2.jpg
    ultras2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 300
Here's another Ultravid eyecup related question...

Has anyone completely removed an Ultravid eyecup for cleaning? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

John

PS
Yes, I read the manual but I've never actually removed them.

John Traynor said:
Here's another Ultravid eyecup related question...

Has anyone completely removed an Ultravid eyecup for cleaning? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

John

PS
Yes, I read the manual but I've never actually removed them.

John,

Turn them until the eyecups are fully exended to the last click then just pull them straight out. to replace them line up the grooves inside the eyecup with the 3 nipples around the ocular, push in and then twist.

Gary.

I think you've got the wrong cups on it, they do come in differrent lenghts depending on magnification. It might even be possible that they were from a 32mm or even a Trinovid. Show a Leica rep in person and he'll put it straight.

Gary Hawkins said:
John,

Turn them until the eyecups are fully exended to the last click then just pull them straight out. to replace them line up the grooves inside the eyecup with the 3 nipples around the ocular, push in and then twist.

Gary.

Gary...thanks.
John

Robert Ellis said:
I think you've got the wrong cups on it, they do come in differrent lenghts depending on magnification. It might even be possible that they were from a 32mm or even a Trinovid. Show a Leica rep in person and he'll put it straight.

I've spoken to a very helpful chap from Leica on the phone - he reckons that I have the wrong eyecups on them, so is sending me a set of 8x42br eyecups to try. I'll post when they arrive to let people know if this solves it...

xenophobe said:
Are they charging you for them?

No.
They have said that new eyecups would solve the issue, however if not they will take them in and look at them - all this is covered by the warrranty so I won't be charged.

xenophobe said:
So they know you're not the original owner and are taking care of you? That's nice to know.

Indeed - excellent customer care.

However over the weekend I've had a good 'play' with these bins and decided not to buy them... I would have been happy to, but compared them with a pair of 7x42 ultravids and found that I prefered them (much to my suprise). So I'll passs the replacement eyecups on to the guy who's bins they are - should help him selling them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back