- Egretta ardesiaca
Small compact egret
- Black, or dark slate plumage
- Bill and legs: black
- Feet varies from yellow, through orangey-yellow to orange, sometimes with black scales.
- During breeding feet may be redder
- Yellow iris
- Iris: dark brown
- Bill: dark horn or black
- Legs: dark grey
- Feet: dullish orange-yellow
Probably dispersive rather than migratory, perhaps nomadic in response to rains in some areas.
Lake margins and riverbanks, tidal creeks, rice fields and flooded grasslands.
This bird has a distinctive hunting method. It forms an umbrella with its wings and catches the fish which are drawn to the shade.
The diet includes small fish, aquatic insects and crustaceans.
The two to four blue eggs are laid in a twig nest which is placed in a tree, bush or reed bed.
- Clements, JF. 2008. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2008. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
- BWP Concise
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Black Heron. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 17 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Black_Heron