- Stelgidopteryx serripennis
Includes: Ridgway's Rough-winged Swallow
12-15 cm (4.7-5.9 in)
- Brown upperparts
- Pale brown throat; rest of underparts paler but not white
- White undertail coverts
- Squared tail
Two distinct cinnamon-brown wing-bars
Ridgway's Rough-winged Swallow shows black distal undertail coverts.
Northern Rough-winged Swallow was in the past considered conspecific with Southern Rough-winged Swallow. Subspecies S. s. ridgwayi and S. s. stuarti recognized by some authors (Handbook of Birds of the World) as full species, Yucatan Rough-winged Swallow or Ridgway's Rough-winged Swallow.
- S. s. serripennis:
- Breeds from southeastern Alaska east to southern Quebec, south to central California and Florida; winters from Mexico and Florida south to central Panama.
- S. s. psammochrous:
- Breeds from southwestern United States (southern California east to southeastern Texas) and northern Baja California south to southwestern Mexico and perhaps El Salvador; winters from southernmost United States south to Panama, although southernmost breeding populations possibly resident.
- S. s. fulvipennis:
- Breeds southern Mexico (except Yucatán Peninsula), north to central Veracruz, and south to central Costa Rica; mainly resident, but some migrate south to central Panama.
- S. s. burleighi:
- S. s. ridgwayi:
- Resident in the northern Yucatán Peninsula (southeastern Mexico in northern Campeche, Yucatán, and central Quintana Roo)
- S. s. stuarti:
- Resident in southern Mexico (southern Veracruz, northern Oaxaca, and Chiapas), northern Guatemala, and northern Belize
Streams, lakes and river banks.
Nests in cavities near water, usually a burrow in dirt and 4-8 eggs are laid. Eggs are incubated by the female for 13 days, with another 20 days until fledging.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2019. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: v2019. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- De Jong, M. J. (2020). Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis), version 1.0. In Birds of the World (A. F. Poole and F. B. Gill, Editors). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.nrwswa.01
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology. 2019. Northern_Rough-winged_Swallow in: All About Birds. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/ Accessed on 18May 2020.
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Northern Rough-winged Swallow. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 28 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Northern_Rough-winged_Swallow