• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

You can lead a horse to water (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
So my sister has started to show more of an interest in her backyard birds. I gave her a CL 8x30 for Christmas. She loves them.
I get a text from Costa Rica, "You'd love all the birds down here". No fooling.
They took a hike in a national park up the side of a volcano.
I respond, "Did you bring your binoculars"?
She answers, "No, that would have been a good idea".
Arrgh!!

Last edited:
This is a good one, and made me smile, and say "my oh my".

When on vacation, I have shared my binoculars many times to help others
see a bear, deer or other wildlife. It was like the world had opened up to
them.

Jerry

Your story reminds me of a trip to Austria last year. There were 2 ladies from my home town staying in the same hotel and who I knew were interested in birds. However, when talking about which birds I had seen on my walks they said that they had not taken their binoculars as it wasn't "that sort of holiday". I replied that you will see birds on any sort of holiday! In several places I saw spotted nutcrackers (a "lifer" for me, after seeing Clark's nutcrackers in Canada in 2013), and at least the ladies managed to see one of them from a ski lift.

They told me recently that they are going back to the same place this year, so I'll have to remind them to take their binoculars this time!

So my sister has started to show more of an interest in her backyard birds. I gave her a CL 8x30 for Christmas. She loves them.
I get a text from Costa Rica, "You'd love all the birds down here". No fooling.
They took a hike in a national park up the side of a volcano.
I respond, "Did you bring your binoculars"?
She answers, "No, that would have been a good idea".
Arrgh!!

What a wonderful xmas gift. Think of her text as a small step in the right direction. She is thinking about birds.

Sort of on topic - I have a Swaro Scope and I lead a lot of bird walks. I can't tell you the number of times I get on a bird and then let someone look through the scope for the first time. WOW or OOHHH! are the most prevalent exclamations.

I was in Yellowstone several years ago and was looking down into a canyon at an Osprey nest on a rock spire. I noticed a family of folks looking at me - I think they were Chinese. I motioned for them to come over and have a look. I now can say I have heard the word WOW in Chinese. The reaction is universal.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back