• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (6 Viewers)

No new recently, except a far covering of snow. But feeders looking good - one White-backed Woodpecker, three Grey-headed Woodpeckers yesterday, two males together, then a female. Great Tits already at over 110, numbers higher this winter after falling numbers in the previous two winters.

Surely Pink tootsies would be more correct Ken?
A heavier bout of snow has finally produced some activity at our feeders, Marsh, Blue, Great, Coal and Crested Tit plus Chaffinch and Magpie visiting. Another Hawfinch hanging about today and a single Brambling wheezing in the trees yesterday(probably on 20 Gitanes a day;)).
A nice flock of 22 Hawfinch flew over yesterday too (sorry H2) and Nutcracker and Black Woodpecker are proving to be daily sightings since the cold snap started.

After a lovely kayak on the lake (adding Golden Eagle to my green list), we settled on the back deck with a cuppa, and were treated to a pair of 86 Common Goldeneye flying over.
Now if only the eagle soars this way too!

After a lovely kayak on the lake (adding Golden Eagle to my green list), we settled on the back deck with a cuppa, and were treated to a pair of 86 Common Goldeneye flying over.

FWIW jasperpatch I've increased my sky watching considerably this year, and it has not disappointed!

In time....Golden Eagle will fall. :t:

Just checked and at least 18 of my 86 were flyovers, I spent many early mornings in spring wrapped up warm and with my eyes on the sky. It definitely helps being so close to a large lake. Now that the trees have lost their leaves I can just about see it from the house, though I'm yet to see anything on the water to add to the list - even with the scope!
My green list this year is on 119, so plenty on there that may at some point turn up in the garden. They are all within ~10k radius (bike, hike, kayak, snowshoe), mostly potential flyovers rather than settlers. Always something new.

So, the lakes are not covered with ice there yet? Here the sea coastline is allready covered with ice. And almost 20 cm of snow on the ground, so proper winter here now. But if you believe forecast, tomorrow starts to rain and the temperature rises to the plus side (Celsius). :-C

So, the lakes are not covered with ice there yet? Here the sea coastline is allready covered with ice. And almost 20 cm of snow on the ground, so proper winter here now. But if you believe forecast, tomorrow starts to rain and the temperature rises to the plus side (Celsius). :-C

Just looked up, Jasperpatch is at 46°N, quite a long way south of me (55°N), let alone you!

Just looked up, Jasperpatch is at 46°N, quite a long way south of me (55°N), let alone you!

Yes, but Jasperpatch's region is typified by a far colder climate than you. Frozen Churchill, where the Polar Bears gather at this season, is also further south than Warixenjalkai :)

Last edited:

As Nutcracker has said, we are quite far South, so not frozen yet - but it is on the way. Last year we were still Canoeing on Christmas Day, but that was the first 'green' Christmas we've had since moving here 7 years ago.
The lake usually starts freezing mid-December, and then melts again mid-April. That gives us about 4 months of thick ice, safe for snow-shoeing/skiing. It also gives us temperatures down to around -35C, probably on a par with you?

Sadly not a whole lot of birds about in that period, I learn to love my 'regulars', and hope for close encounters rather than much novelty.

Golf-Stream keeps this side of a pool warmer than the western side. So here Southcoast of Finland it's hardly ever -35C degrees. Maybe once in a ten years. -30C almost every winter day or two, some years week or even couple of weeks. An average of January and February -6...-7C degrees here. So we "lose this competition" to you Jasper... :t:
Ice cover comes here (sea coast) normally about same time than your lakes and melts too. The entire Gulf of Finland freezes nowadays very rarely, but there has been (long time ago) winters when you could walk right down to Estonia from here.

Yes I have. I can put those here at afternoon (if I still remember |^| )
Are you thinking it might be a Marsh T? Because I wonder that too, but the wing panel looks like more Willowy.

I remembered. Last pic isn't from my garden. I take that November 4th couple of miles from home. I put it here just because I manage to take a pic where both "blackcaps" are present. As you may know, Marsh Tit is rare visitor in Finland.

Attachments

• hömppä2.jpg
    hömppä2.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 19
  • hömppä3.jpg
    hömppä3.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 25
  • hömppä&viita.jpg
    hömppä&viita.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 29
Interesting how the lighting can alter the tonal value perception, e.g. the last image grey upperparts when in shadow (left hand bird), and slightly warmer grey brown to the right hand bird (in sunlight). Clearly a borealis, loennbergi type. A great bird for the garden. :t:

Yes I have. I can put those here at afternoon (if I still remember |^| )
Are you thinking it might be a Marsh T? Because I wonder that too, but the wing panel looks like more Willowy.

Willow Tit / Hömötiainen for me; as well as the wing panel, also very bull-necked. A sharp pic of the bill would help for 100% confirmation.

What about the third photo, bird on right side? Are you agree with me that it is a Marsh Tit? (This wasn't at my garden)
Ken: I understand from your message that you think it is a Willow too. It's quite possible that I don't get it right what you mean. :brains:

What about the third photo, bird on right side? Are you agree with me that it is a Marsh Tit? (This wasn't at my garden)
Ken: I understand from your message that you think it is a Willow too. It's quite possible that I don't get it right what you mean. :brains:

Apologies Wari if I didn't make myself clear....can you imagine, what any attempt my Finnish would look like :eek!:

I have to default to the commoner species Willow Tit on range and probability, however the bib looks short to my eye, probably just the angle?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back