• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Nope. There is no indication in that thread about any future or potential release data of 50mm.
Maybe in jest.
Not in jest. Just a SBO. A clear market space available.

No rumours on the grapevine yet, and as Lee recently posted in that thread Zeiss have been busy putting out other fires.

Still, while the 50mm SF, and 32mm SF would take some development and resources, even the very easy goals to kick have not been tackled.

ie. upgrading the existing 42mm SF, and 32mm FL with HT glass (S-P prisms and lenses where appropriate) and retuning coatings for more vivid colours at the extremes of the spectrum, more neutral white balance, and more brightness overall.

This development would be used as a foundation for 50mm and 32mm SF development.

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Officially thus far there is zero indication from Zeiss such models will be introduced. Just speculation thus far.

I could see them (Zeiss) making a new 8X32 in the near future (the FL is still a good glass and will be tough to keep the same size with major up-grades), but a SF X50, not so much, they have the HT and conquest and since these likely sell less in quantity than the 42s, why would they bother. I wonder how many 8X56, or 10X56 Swarovski sells compared to their 32 and 42 formats.

A.W.

I am trying to decide between Zeiss 8x42 SF or the new SLC 10x56.

I already have the 8x42 configuration, so it cannot be that drastically different, even with coatings that are 10 years newer. But getting a different power in a different configuration is something new.

I've also come to realize that 10x56 will not replace a basic 8x42 glass. maybe I need both.

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 is awfully compact and light.

I could see them (Zeiss) making a new 8X32 in the near future (the FL is still a good glass and will be tough to keep the same size with major up-grades), but a SF X50, not so much, they have the HT and conquest and since these likely sell less in quantity than the 42s, why would they bother. I wonder how many 8X56, or 10X56 Swarovski sells compared to their 32 and 42 formats.

A.W.
The 54mm, and 56mm Zeiss bins are too heavy to be viable 'birding' bins - that's why a lightweight 50mm SF is needed. At a pinch people use 50mm Swaros and Leicas, but really, an ~850g 50mm SF creates a whole new market. Jan provided some sales figures and breakdowns in the 50mm SF thread. Those 56mm SLC's are heavy beasts ! :eek!: ........ I don't know how long Dennis will last with his, but I'm just glad I got my bet on early at good odds - the book has tightened somewhat since then ! :) :king:

I am trying to decide between Zeiss 8x42 SF or the new SLC 10x56.

I already have the 8x42 configuration, so it cannot be that drastically different, even with coatings that are 10 years newer. But getting a different power in a different configuration is something new.

I've also come to realize that 10x56 will not replace a basic 8x42 glass. maybe I need both.

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 is awfully compact and light.

The only sensible answer of course is to get both ! o:D

Vastly different kettles of fish :cat:

Those 56mm SLC's are heavy beasts ! ........ I don't know how long Dennis will last with his, but I'm just glad I got my bet on early at good odds - the book has tightened somewhat since then ! :)

Chosun

That is funny, what is the over/under....for the fate of the 8X56.

I will get one down the road used as an upgrade for an older Zeiss Octarem 8X50. I have the UV HD+ in 10X50 which is a heavy glass, though a hair over 1000 grams, and it is long so easier to balance, and I use them as well for astronomy as well as terrestrial viewing. It is a really nice glass, and I do get more out of it than my 10X42s. Tripod of course needed for extended viewing. I passed on the UV 8X50 which has the same APOV and real FOV.
My older nikon HG/LX a 980 feels heavier since they are shorter, and feel like a sinker for fishing but great for astro with the flat field.
A 50mm in 8X at 850 grams would definitively sell, but with just weight of the glass alone, the body would have to be carbon fiber - oh the cost, now we are at the 3500 or approaching WX prices for it to provide SF quality views. I guess we could hope.

A.W.

Officially thus far there is zero indication from Zeiss such models will be introduced. Just speculation thus far.

Not strictly true as Stephen Ingraham who works part time for Zeiss USA mentioned at a birding show a couple of years ago that an SF 32 was planned.

Lee

I've not seen much mention of how extraordinarily good the depth of field is on the SF 8x42, possibly the first 8x42 roof I've had the matches or even beats my SE in that respect.

In fact the more I use this bin the more I love it, rolling ball and slight green tinge and all! Dare I say it might be the first roof I've owned that with all its attributes added up finally dethrones my beloved SE's as my favourite bin ever.

I've always been kind of eventually disappointed with every alpha I've owned, most recently the HT but these things just charm me more and more each time I use them :)

MO, glad you love your SF's, but they contain no secret sauce which could possibly increase dof, since that's a function of magnification only. This is very easy to test looking at a diagonal fence etc and carefully checking the distance in focus for each bin either direction along the diagonal of a target you choose. You might repeat the exercise for near, mid, and longer distance targets along the fence etc.

It's not even possible for the SF to have a greater degree of stereopsis than the Porro prism SE. What you might be seeing are several perceptual illusions. They might be the larger perceived image scale of the roof, the wider Fov of the the SF, (and maybe ever so slightly different field characteristics of the two bins), and perhaps even more room for the eyes to move due to the larger EP of the SF.

The main thing is that you are happy using something that works for you; and I agree that the wide, nearly all in focus, Fov of the SF is one of it's best features :t:

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation Chosun. So are you saying that all 8x42's have the same depth of field? There must be some odd illusions going on with my eyes and brain then as I've always thought I've been able to see quite a bit of variation in different 8x42's.

I don't know why I perceive such a good DOF with these then especially as they are a flat field design, my understanding is that field curvature creates more of an impression of increased DOF.

I thought stereopsis was a completely different thing related to the 3d effect of porros? I'm not saying the SF's have that.

MO,

Field curvature is mostly seen in wide field binoculars that show pincushion distortion of straight lines (like a telephone pole or the vertical edge of a house) at the edges of their view. These binoculars do not have flat fields. The edges are out of focus while the center of the view is in sharp focus. These edges can be dialed into focus but when doing so the center of the view goes out of focus. The Classic Nikon 8x30 EII Porro Prism shows the best example of this.

Because of this a bird that you may be watching flitting back and forth through the foliage of near by trees may be flying through both the zones of near focus and far focus and it may appear as if your binocular has larger DOF than it really does. I have noticed this effect myself following birds through the foliage of nearby trees just off my deck with my 8x30 EII. They are in focus in the center of the view for a few seconds and then they fly back in the tree near the edge of the view and are still in focus!

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation Bob.

Interesting that you should mention the EII , I've always loved the EII for its wide field of view but have to wear contacts to take advantage of it which is a right pain. The SF is just great for glasses wearers who crave a similarly wide FOV.

The only other really wide FOV bin I can think of that works well with glasses is the FL 7x42 but that has really fuzzy edges along with the field curvature.

Thanks for the explanation Bob.

Interesting that you should mention the EII , I've always loved the EII for its wide field of view but have to wear contacts to take advantage of it which is a right pain. The SF is just great for glasses wearers who crave a similarly wide FOV.

The only other really wide FOV bin I can think of that works well with glasses is the FL 7x42 but that has really fuzzy edges along with the field curvature.

I have the 7x42 FL too but I don't wear glasses. I really like it. I have said that if I could only keep one binocular it would be the one I would keep!:t:

Jerry Liquori who wrote 2 books about identifying "Hawks at a Distance" and "Hawks from any Angle" personally used both the earlier Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl and then the Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL for identifying Hawks because of their "sharpness and unmatched wide field of view." See page 9 of "Hawks at an Angle."

It has a huge clear sweet spot and its edges do show a slight bit of pincushion distortion when tested for it but it also has astigmatic edges which will never focus into sharpness and will always appear "fuzzy." It has an 8.5º FOV and perhaps the last .3º is affected and out of focus. What is left is plenty!

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation Chosun. So are you saying that all 8x42's have the same depth of field? There must be some odd illusions going on with my eyes and brain then as I've always thought I've been able to see quite a bit of variation in different 8x42's.

I don't know why I perceive such a good DOF with these then especially as they are a flat field design, my understanding is that field curvature creates more of an impression of increased DOF.

I thought stereopsis was a completely different thing related to the 3d effect of porros? I'm not saying the SF's have that.
MO, (and All),
Well, that's the theory :) ..... :cat:

All of those factors I mentioned go into our perception of the view .... and there's a few others too ! Our eyes will all see different things to each other, but my guess is any perceptual effects you are seeing are largely due to the wide focused Fov of the SF and the feeling of an 'immersive view' that this gives.

You have it right with the field curvature understanding, though it's a separate issue from pincushion or barrel distortion which is related to angular magnification distortion. Heaps of people get this screwed up.

With field curvature, you can refocus the edges of the view to be sharp (those with younger eyes can use their focal accommodation to achieve all or part of this depending on the design). There may or may not be straight lines depending on the design of the distortion too (barrel distortion as in looking at the surface of a sphere, or pincushion distortion as in looking into a bowl).

It should be noted that both these things (field curvature and barrel/pincushion distortions) are not necessarily linear - one, or both could have compound curves -ie. a changing rate with respect to angle that may be either increasing, or decreasing, positive and/or negative directions and may contain inflection points too - the so called mustache distortion profile. The SF has such a distortion profile. It has very little field curvature, and so appears sharp nearly to the edge. Note too that a particular distortion profile may not necessarily be symmetrical about the horizontal and vertical axes, so there may be differences in what is seen between left / right, and up and down (most notably evidenced in the foreground view).

Also, our eyes focal accommodation (which affects the depth of field seen from the binocular + eye system as a whole) not only changes with respect to ageing, but also physiological condition (tiredness, health, etc), and lighting /brightness.

Complicating all of this, our individual eyes have their own curvature, and pincushion/barrel distortion profiles too. Those with larger barrel distortion are more likely to experience the 'globe effect' or 'rolling ball' in flat field designs that are on the low side (high coefficient) of the circle of condition. This affects maybe less than ~10% of people ...... I thoroughly recommend doing the tests on Holger Merlitz's site to test your individual situation, and recording the results there. The more results Holger has recorded, the more valuable the research. I think the number was up over 50 participants last time I looked.
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/test_distortion.html

Further complications to all of this occur if you wear glasses which introduce their own set of distortion profiles to add to the system .....

The Petzval curve of the eye /image plane nexus, visual acuity /peripheral vision, all play roles, as do a whole host of neural processing factors too.

Is it any wonder there is so much opinion and disagreement in what is being seen! :cat:

Apart from the dof test I mentioned, I would also recommend a quick map of a bin's distortion profile. This was first suggested to me by Henry Link, and goes something like this:-

* Turn your bins around and look through the objective end (this eliminates most eye distortion variables to the equation)
* Find a small round object (like a screw head) about 2~4m away to focus on.
* Focus on it in the centre of the view.
* Gradually move it to the side of the field of view taking note of any changes of shape of the circle, and the amount - (i)elongation vertically, or (ii)squashing horizontally, or (iii)any out of focus.
* Because you are looking reversed, (i) is barrel distortion, (ii) is pincushion, and (iii) is field curvature if it can be refocused, or astigmatism etc if it can't.
* By paying careful attention to the way the shape changes, and the amount, you will be able to tell if the distortion profile is more linear or mustache like, subtle or wild. If the circle remains a circle then the optical design meets the circle of condition criteria.

There you have it. Quick. Easy. and in concert with the dof test, eliminates ~up to or more than 95% ;) of BS and misunderstandings not to mention posts around here ! o:)

If you want to improve on that then you are into the photographic realms (of grid paper etc) that Henry has posted many times before. This requires careful setup. If you want to photograph brightness levels and colour casts then that really does require meticulous set up, standardization and calibration to eliminate additional variables.

Personally, I find that bins with heavy pincushion distortion seem to give me a quasi 3D like impression which many people mistake for increased dof. It is not of course.

There is some debate as to whether Leica has hit upon a 'secret sauce' with it's NoctiVid. It seems that a combination of precisely designed and matched field/ petzval curvature and mild, gently increasing pincushion distortion toward the edges gives the 'illusion' of greater 3D effect and greater dof. It is all 'perceptual', and while not everyone sees it, most folk agree that it is a pleasing view.

You are correct in your understanding - the 3D effect (stereopsis), most usually seen from horizontally offset Porro-I designs is completely separate from dof.

Hope this helps everybody :)

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for taking the time to post all that information Chosun. Plenty of stuff for me to research there. After all these years of being a binoholic I really do need to get to grips with some solid scientific principles rather than just posting overenthusiastic hyperbole whenever I get a new binocular!

I can see where you were right about the depth of field now Chosun.
Out with the SF's this evening the illusion of a large DOF was particularly strong looking down a leafy footpath simply due to the huge immersive field of view with sharp edges rendering the footpath at the bottom of the FOV and the foliage on either side in sharp focus and creating the effect.

Its a familiar story Hermann, except I bought my Dialyt 10x40 BGAs in 1986 and kept them until 2003 and then EL, FL, HT ............. :king:

Lee

My Swedish grandfather went to Hamburg in about 1930 to buy some Zeiss binoculars and they were for him a lifetime investment... till I got my 12?year old hands on them in about 1968 and a while later forgot I had left them outside for probably several months. I wish now I could identify them; I only remember they were (=had been before me) in excellent condition and were quite compact, beautifully made porros.

That guilt has something to do with my present interest in nature observation and binoculars.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back