• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL vs Zeiss Victory SF (1 Viewer)

Stuarts vision

England
Hi all,

Newbie hear so be gentle please.

Looking to purchase some new/second hand bins.

Have narrowed it down to the Swarovski EL 8×32 pre field pro but post 2012 and the Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 or 10x32.

What's your opinions, does the EL suffer from glare/flare, is the Zeiss better optically and is a 10 ok in 32mm?

Thank you, I look forward to your replies.

This will be a difficult choice, the optics are beautiful in both the EL's and SF's. It took a few visits to the local bird store, as well as ordering and returning a pair, for me to make my final choice between EL and SF. Especially the questions about 8x vs. 10x, you need to decide which you prefer. The focusers and holding position is different too, you won't know how they feel in your hands until you use them in person.

This will be a difficult choice, the optics are beautiful in both the EL's and SF's. It took a few visits to the local bird store, as well as ordering and returning a pair, for me to make my final choice between EL and SF. Especially the questions about 8x vs. 10x, you need to decide which you prefer. The focusers and holding position is different too, you won't know how they feel in your hands until you use them in person.
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply.

What did you decide on if you don't mind me asking?

Think I'm leaning toward the el in 8x32.
If it was Zeiss I would definitely go 10s

Kind regards

Yes, 10x32 is absolutely fine as a format, I've used it for years and it may even be growing more common today. So why do you seem to have ruled out EL 10x32? To me it would make more sense to decide 8x vs 10x and then choose between EL and SF, but you haven't stated your purpose so it's hard to guess what the criteria are, if any. Both are excellent in general of course, so it could depend on what deal you find.

Yes, 10x32 is absolutely fine as a format, I've used it for years and it may even be growing more common today. So why do you seem to have ruled out EL 10x32? To me it would make more sense to decide 8x vs 10x and then choose between EL and SF, but you haven't stated your purpose so it's hard to guess what the criteria are, if any. Both are excellent in general of course, so it could depend on what deal you find.
Hi Tenex;

Ruled out the 10x32 in El because of the narrower fov. The Zeiss has a wilder fov similar to the Nls which I can't afford.

Regards

Well, 120m in a 10x is actually very nice, among the best models before SF/NL. If you've ruled that right out the widest possible field is a clear priority, so you should definitely choose SF over EL, and possibly 8x over 10 on that basis alone. Except you said you were leaning toward 10x in SF, so maybe that's your answer. Something further may need sorting out...

Last edited:
Hi all,

Have narrowed it down to the Swarovski EL 8×32 pre field pro but post 2012 and the Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 or 10x32.

What's your opinions, does the EL suffer from glare/flare, is the Zeiss better optically and is a 10 ok in 32mm?

Hi Stuart,
Why the EL in pre field pro? Hopefully that thread you read this AM, DID NOT convince you there's something wrong with field pro. If it did, I failed miserably! Field pro is fine. Really.

Re Swaro glare... Whew, you've already spent too much time here! Remember my 2nd to last sentence again from this AM re the glare in my NL 832s question - "Still my fav binos." Glare may or may not be a thing. Only you can decide... hopefully by looking in the most varied conditions your test situation will allow. I read all that was here about NLs and SFs. Looked at them at 6 different shops over a year. Bought the NLs and birded with them exclusively 3 times a week, for 4 months before I thought I understood them, (Im not that slow but was getting cataract surgery in between). Ha. which by the way was informative in and of itself. No Im not suggesting you need to do that....

Folks like to promote things here that may or not be a thing to people while birding. Dont chase FOV because of what you've read and think is "the" thing. Bino companies publish FOV at 1000 whatevers. We dont bird at 1000 whatevers. Its more like 100. Divide the published spec by 10 and then notice how not so important the differences are. Then go look and notice so-called "flat field" sharp to edge described models. If the company has indeed pulled that off, the effective FOV, the useable FOV may be better on the one with a published narrower spec.

Most importantly, this is supposed to be fun!
G'Tom

I used Swarovski EL SV 10X42 for a few years, and then switched to Zeiss SF 8X32 a couple of years ago.

You couldn’t get me to go back.
Maybe what Im tryin to say is we often here say "try before you buy." But easier said than done these days. The internet has messed with local retailing, so having a relationship with a store where you can go try, maybe more than once is a thing of the past. Internet forums probably not the most reliable predictor of success. Buy 3 to get one, from an online dealer is not my idea of fun. Commit maybe through the research you can do, then buy as Maljunolo did above, and live with it to see if it proves out with real use, where you go, is the way these days.

Last edited:
I was underwhelmed by the SFs and much prefered the ELs (have both the 8x32 and 10x32), but it's personal preference. Also consider the Noctivid - personally I'd rank them as much nicer than the SFs, but again, personal preference...

The internet has messed with local retailing, so having a relationship with a store where you can go try, maybe more than once is a thing of the past.
Seems we are really lucky then here in Switzerland to still have retailers in Zurich, Bern and Geneva who carry a large stock of binos in their store (the one in the Bern region has constantly over 100 models on site) that you can try out. How much longer will they survive?

When I visited a local optics store I decided to try the SF 10x32, I was so disgusted with that binocular that I nearly through it back towards the sales assistant. A few months later I had the chance to try the SF 8x42, more out of curiosity if anything. Well... oh my what a revelation, one of the most beautiful instruments I have lifted towards my eyes, it was the most rapturous and enlightening experience, it was finally the Zeiss that delivered for me, the SFL while a great binocular did not possess the magic of the SF.
I am considering them but my wallet is still cooling down from my NL purchase.

Hi all,

Scott and Grampatom kind of says it all on many fronts. First off if your new to high end binoculars you may not be able to tell much of an optical difference between these models, because they’re all so good. It also takes time to learn the nuances of each one of these fine Instruments and to learn which of those nuances are more preferable to you. No matter which one of those you look through, the image quality will be breathtaking.

I’d go along with others here when it comes to this level of optics in 32mm , the 10x is excellent, although my opinion would be for my first 32mm , I’d go with the 8x as a better choice for an all around use binocular. You get a larger exit pupal, easier eye box position, calmer steadier image (especially for a newbie) will be brighter in lower light conditions, and have a wider field of view which, you seem to have a hankering for.

Don’t get hung up on a few things you read about glare, which you could find in every optic and the FP system is pretty cool, so,don’t let that be your deciding factor.

Good luck, let us know what you get.

Paul

First of all hi to all at BF.
Regarding this topic the best advice is if you could give both a try at you nearest shop or where ever you are thinking of getting them.
Both bino brands are great, no doubt about that, but I am sure that you will find one of them more pleasant to use than the other. Forget about glare/ flare. find the one fits you the best to you eyes position and for that... try both if you can. Second, mind the focus wheel, in that regard Zeiss wins the race.

I owned the Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 for a couple of years and they are truly lovely binoculars. legitimately if you can’t afford the NL pures i think the SF’s in 8x will give you the best. I upgraded to the NL Pure 10x42 and they are amazing but I would have hung on to the SFs too if I could have afforded to 🙂you really can’t go wrong with the top end glass

Scott and Grampatom kind of says it all on many fronts. First off if your new to high end binoculars you may not be able to tell much of an optical difference between these models, because they’re all so good. It also takes time to learn the nuances of each one of these fine Instruments and to learn which of those nuances are more preferable to you. No matter which one of those you look through, the image quality will be breathtaking.

I’d go along with others here when it comes to this level of optics in 32mm , the 10x is excellent, although my opinion would be for my first 32mm , I’d go with the 8x as a better choice for an all around use binocular. You get a larger exit pupal, easier eye box position, calmer steadier image (especially for a newbie) will be brighter in lower light conditions, and have a wider field of view which, you seem to have a hankering for.

Don’t get hung up on a few things you read about glare, which you could find in every optic and the FP system is pretty cool, so,don’t let that be your deciding factor.

Good luck, let us know what you get.

Paul
"I’d go along with others here when it comes to this level of optics in 32 mm, the 10x is excellent, although my opinion would be for my first 32 mm, I’d go with the 8x as a better choice for an all around use binocular. You get a larger exit pupal, easier eye box position, calmer steadier image (especially for a newbie) will be brighter in lower light conditions, and have a wider field of view which, you seem to have a hankering for."

Master Kan agrees with you, grasshopper. Don't forget about DOF. An 8x has considerably better DOF than a 10x. Soon the pebble will be within your grasp.

"I’d go along with others here when it comes to this level of optics in 32 mm, the 10x is excellent, although my opinion would be for my first 32 mm, I’d go with the 8x as a better choice for an all around use binocular. You get a larger exit pupal, easier eye box position, calmer steadier image (especially for a newbie) will be brighter in lower light conditions, and have a wider field of view which, you seem to have a hankering for."

Master Kan agrees with you, grasshopper. Don't forget about DOF. An 8x has considerably better DOF than a 10x. Soon the pebble will be within your grasp.
I took those pebbles out of your hand a long time ago 😜🥷🏼

Attachments

• D1A0E550-2AE9-426B-87B1-F94F718E0870.jpeg
    D1A0E550-2AE9-426B-87B1-F94F718E0870.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 23
What was the question again?
So: yes to some extent but how often will you encounter it; better how, it does have a wider field; and yes. Each of these points has deeper background that surely doesn't matter to you yet but you can start reading up if and when it comes to, as do so many others...

When you ask questions here you get answers (hopefully), samples of other people's taste, whole life stories, no telling what... but it's your life and your choice, and any model you're considering will be an excellent start. Enjoy it!

Maybe I just need to stop reading "Which should I buy?" threads (even when that's not what was asked), the repetition is starting to get to me.

What did you decide on if you don't mind me asking?
I chose the SF 8x42 for my uber-expensive premium bino. But that's all about my personal preferences, and yours sound different. I figured if I"m spending that much, I want the full-size 42mm objective. I use 8x far more than 10x (less shaking effect) so I wasn't going to blow the big money on 10x.

And I like the SF's over the EL's by a wide margin, mostly for ergonomics. I found the EL's uncomfortable because my hands can't fit between the two bridges so I can't grip the barrels well. The focuser on the EL was too high, too stiff to move, and I didn't like the way it's harder to turn in one direction than the other. The SF focusers are very smooth and silky to turn and well-placed in the natural position for my finger. (btw the NL's addressed all of these concerns).

So, of the options you posted, I would take the 8x32 SFs, or better yet 8x42. The SF's are finicky with eye placement, it's got to be just right, and I'd be afraid that the small exit pupil in the 10x32 would increase that difficulty vs. the 8x32 or 8x42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back