• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Digiscoping Pictures (1 Viewer)

sidrat

Swaffham Birder
Hi to all at birdforum.net, I thought I would share with you my first pictures taken with my outfit as I got the last part of it through the post today.

I got my scope about a month ago from CleySpy, Glandford, Norfolk. I cannot recommend them enough for service and help, thank you CleySpy.

After lots of reserch for a suitable camera (a good deal from birdforum.net) I decided on the Canon A95.

My Outfit:

Kowa TSN823, 32W Eyepiece, Kowa TSN-DA1A digiscoping adaptor, Kowa 52mm adaptor ring, Canon A95 digital camera, Canon LA-DC52D adaptor, Pennine A95 cable release bracket.

When I first put it all together at wide on the camera zoom I had some vignetting, I found that the rubber around the eyepiece was preventing the camera to get close enough to the scope eyepiece. Some glasspaper and an hours careful sanding of the rubber and now I have no vignetting throughout the zoom range of the camera.

I babbled on for long enough now please comment on my first pictures. It was rather windy in my garden in Swaffham, Norfolk this evening when I took the pictures (the greenfinch is the worst) but overall for my first efforts I'm very pleased.

Thanks to Andy Bright's web site and comments in Birdforum, also to Erwin Driessens for the emails and John-Henry for the comments to members questions within Birdforum.

Here are the pics, (all are only cropped and resized no enhancements):

Pete C, aka sidrat :~} :eat:

Attachments

• Dove1.jpg
    Dove1.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Dove2.jpg
    Dove2.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 314
  • Greenfinch.jpg
    Greenfinch.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 383
Wow, looks like you're off to great start, Pete. The Doves (always a good bird to experiment on) show lots of fine detail and the Greenfinch is pretty good as well. Digiscoping won't always be this good but this will give you great confidence in your abilities and the equipment... which is very important.
Looking forward to seeing your shots in the gallery.

cheers,
Andy

From Sidrat

Nigel, no I just read a lot on the net and tried the settings suggested by members of the forum.

Pete :~} :eat:

Hi Erwin, thanks for the comment. At the moment I have the the following locked into the 'C' setting - manual focus set to one division under infinity, MF-Point zoom set to ON, zoom set to wide. I then find the bird in the scope, slip on the camera and fine focus with the scope focus control but I have been trying Andy Bright's suggestion of leaving the camera on the scope all the time. The Kowa scope I have has an aiming tube on it and once you get used to it you can get quite close to putting your target in the middle of the scope view.

Thanks again Erwin for the help.

Makes me even more rue the selling of my Kowa 823!

You're off to a flying start Pete - congratulations :t:

Excellent photos - especially for a first go at digiscoping - I've just changed my digiscoping camera so am having to re-learn how to do it...

Good to see another local birder on BF - I'm just down the road in Necton.

Top-notch, Pete!

In fact, pictures of this quality are exactly why - having fallen off the digiscoping wagon when I got my Nikon D70 - I'm determined to get back onboard.

I have just got back from a days birding at Tichwell and Welney. Unfortunatly it was overcast and grey at both locations but took some pics with the new outfit. I had to do some tweeking in photoshop and cropped them. The Gray Plover was way across the left-hand scrape of Parrinder hide.

Attachments

• Avocet.jpg
    Avocet.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Kestral3.jpg
    Kestral3.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Snipe2.jpg
    Snipe2.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Gray Plover.jpg
    Gray Plover.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Canada Goose.jpg
    Canada Goose.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 207
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back