• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Started putting a handful of seed out last week. Straight in was a Nuthatch quickly followed by Coal, Great and Blue Tits. A Chiffchaff was also in the garden yesterday.

Rich

A pair of Nuthatch have taken a shine to new feeders already. It's a small Gardman feeding station. The only issue I have with it is that it needs to be higher. Does anyone know if they sell the sections individually? Alternatively, as it was only cheap, I could always get another one and connect them up.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_2802.JPG
    IMG_2802.JPG
    397.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2808.JPG
    IMG_2808.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 72
Today on my window sill I have had tufted titmice, red bellied woodpecker, white breasted nuthatch, carolina wren, carolina chickadee, mourning dove, and dark eyed junco. No blue jays, house finches or cardinals today.

My annual trip to Uzumulu in Southern Turkey is into its second day. todays garden list includes Syrian Woodpeckers, Lssr Spotted Woodpecker, Lesser Whitethroat, Song Thrush, Willow Warbler, Jay, blue Tit, Great Tit, Corn Bunting, and I can hear a Scops Owl Calling.

2 Tawny Owls calling as I arrived home from work at 06.00am this morning :t:..... both in the garden. Last time 2 turned up was back in Sept 2013.

One flew off straight away, while the other stuck around for half an hour. Could have been after the Squirrels nest or just establishing territory.

Last edited:
Birds visiting our backyard this morning include House Sparrow, House Finch, Black-capped Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, Dark-eyed Junco, American Robin, White-breasted Nuthatch and Red-breasted Nuthatch.

just starting to get busier here with Chaffinch, Greenfinch and Goldfinch numbers rising. Female Sparrowhawk visiting most days.

The forecast looks wet wet wet over the next few days so I don't anticipate any good garden birding.

Four Redwing a Small flock of Long Tailed Tits and also the First Mistle Thrush and Fieldfare of the year. Still no Redpolls, although last winter was the poorest for nearly ten years. so not expecting too much this winter, we shall see.

Last edited:
Still no Redpolls, although last winter was the poorest for nearly ten years. so not expecting too much this winter, we shall see.

More or less the same here "Darn Sauf". Siskin were a month late, they're in most days c half dozen max (none yet today though), a neighbour had c 6 last week (Redpolls) and one briefly graced the garden.

Like you fingers x'd :t:

Although suffering from a lack of ''Finches'' like everybody!....these arrived (in the garden) this week and are partial to peanuts! If you haven't got them at the moment....It's probably just a question of time? :eek!: Cheers

Attachments

• P1400615.jpeg   Def RNP. no.2..jpg
    P1400615.jpeg Def RNP. no.2..jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 53
13 species this morning at out backyard bird feeders here in St. Joseph, Missouri.
I watched off and on 8:30 am - 12:30 pm.
Carolina Wrens, Dark-eyed Juncos, Blue Jays, House Finches, Downy Woodpeckers, House Sparrows, American Goldfinches, Black-capped Chickadees, Northern Cardinals, White-breasted Nuthatches, a Northern Flicker (yellow-shafted), American Crows and European Starlings.

*I also heard a few Snow Geese which were flying over near-by.

Our backyard bird feeders have been very busy lately ... except for those (almost daily visits by a menacing Cooper's Hawk). We have an assortment of birds coming in to the feeders beginning around 8:00 AM (around 35-40 birds of around a dozen species). I have yet to see any birds taken by the hawk, but when it is in the area around the feeders, no birds venture to the feeders. Generally, I just have to wait until the next morning to see any birds coming to the feeders again! (Just a few birds do come to the feeder during the rest of the day.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back