• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Repairs (1 Viewer)

I am wondering if some on here know how many binocular repair shops in the US offer full repair services.

This does not include the mfrs. but independent shops with full collimation ability.

I purchased a used Nikon SE from Land, Sea and Sky in Houston a few years back that had some
dust inside, they cleaned it and it was returned as good as new.

I am familiar with Suddarth Optical.

Jerry

Hi, Jerry:

To me FULL SERVICE means they work on whatever you put in front of them. Most will not. I would put Cory as the top dog. But I would also trust Les at Texas Nautical in Houston, Brian at Baker Marine in San Diego, or Marty at Company Seven in Montpilier,Maryland. These are the people I could trust.

I know there are others who have received rave reviews. However, words are considerably cheaper than deeds. If you need your lenses cleaned, a hinge tightened, or a quasi-collimation job done, any number of techs could handle your work just fine. But if you have an expensive or ancient instrument, you should look a little farther up the food chain.

There are some companies with websites that overflow with sparkling words that lack photos to back up those words. Be cautious. Others advertise that they make (as in manufacture) binoculars. Well, if they will lie about that, one has to wonder what else they will lie about and when.

Finally, check on endorsements of something more than the kindergarten work mentioned in the second paragraph.

I got in trouble last month because someone thought I was promoting myself. Well, I have been out of the business for 10 years but 27 years ago I received the attached letter. The wannabe will never get such a letter. If your needs are small, look anywhere. If your needs are great, you better be ready for a little research. :cat:

Bill

PS If this isn't appropriate just delete it. I meant no harm.

Attachments

• O'GARA 1992.jpg
    O'GARA 1992.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Just an update on this thread. I've returned the binos to the RSPB site where I purchased them on 3rd March. They were to return them to Viking who should call me with an estimate for repair prior to going ahead with anything. They are still in the warranty period but I don't have the receipt so Viking may charge me. I did ask if the repair could be 'expedited' so they could be returned to me by 3rd April as we're going on holiday and I'd like to take them with me. If they can't be repaired & returned by this date then I'll buy some new ones. As of today I've heard nothing so will call the RSPB site on Monday to chase them up.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and I'll let you know the eventual outcome.

Eazyglider

Hi All,

Just to let you know my binos came back from Viking Optics who did an absolutely marvellous job with them, very quick turn around too. They look like a new pair having been realigned and given a full overhaul and now look like a brand new pair. Thank you sooo much Viking Optics, I am very grateful for your help and the excellent job you have done. Very reasonable price too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back