• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x25 Ultravid (1 Viewer)

Caty on the Bay said:
Have any compact roofs equalled or bested the Bausch and Lomb 7x26 yet? A few years back when I was looking for a new pair of something to play with they were talked up and down as being the epitome of compact binoculars. Are the Ultravids the new epitome?

I have the B&L 7x26 and they are great compact binoculars. I took a look through someone's Leica 10X compacts awhile back and while sharp, the image wasn't as bright as the 7x26 and the FOV was narrower. But the B&L 7x26 is a compact binocular, while the Leica you are talking about is a true pocket binocular. A different size class, I would say. Also the B&Ls are not waterproof and probably need gentler treatment than the premium compact roofs.

To be honest, I would prefer a compact roof as a carry-everywhere binoc and may someday get one.

While in Salt Lake this weekend I had the chance to again check out a 10x25 Ultravid. After looking through them for a while I was ready to reach for my wallet but, a vision of what my wife's face would look like and a sincere concern over my future well-being when she would find out about them stopped me.

Whew, that was really close.

lucznik said:
While in Salt Lake this weekend I had the chance to again check out a 10x25 Ultravid. After looking through them for a while I was ready to reach for my wallet but, a vision of what my wife's face would look like and a sincere concern over my future well-being when she would find out about them stopped me.

You have more self control than I did--my third time back to the optics shop to view the 10x25s convinced me to part with the $$$ and take 'em home! I have a hard time resisting temptation, but I'm sure glad temptation won! :t:

lucznik said:

I can fully appreciate your comment. It also filled me with trepidation - well fear actually. In the end I thought b---er it and bought them anyway, and I'm glad I did.

lucznik said:

Well, you can still get them later, so nothing is really lost, whereas you have a bit more time to prepare your wife for that purchase. After all, she might be just as excited when she can get a look through those fine binoculars every now and then.
On the other hand, make sure you get them before a next price hike hits. I got mine from EO last February for $ 489; now they are 645. I have probably never been so glad as this time that I made that purchase at a time I could not even make use of it. It was only in October that I had a chance to pick them up at my son's home.

Nick Elliston said:
I can fully appreciate your comment. It also filled me with trepidation - well fear actually. In the end I thought b---er it and bought them anyway, and I'm glad I did.
I wonder how many people realise just what superb optics the new Ultravids are? I think the knowledge is catching on though!

It does seem, though, that they are not for everybody. My wife cannot get on very well with the long eye relief - it's as if the eyecups are not quite long enough. Odd as for me they offer an almost "walk in" view.

Not to be too contrary in the *Leica* forum but in my tests of the Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss Victory (with the new dielectric prism coating) 10x25's, the Ultravids were a clear third place with the Swarovskis slightly better than the Victorys. However, the Victorys were $200 less (actually, I got a pretty good deal so they were $250 less) and ergonomically superior to both so I bought the Victorys. The Leicas were out of the running after 30 minutes.

Count me among those who would like to see a 7 or 8x25 from these manufacturers though.

Opinions on optics aside; which are subjective at best without formal testing: Are you sure you didn't prefer the convenience of a single hinge over the double hinges of the others? If I was hiker, like you, and needed a lightweigt 10X bin to use as my prime bin, as you have indicated in the Zeiss forum, it would certainly be my first choice too; if only for the speed and convenience of use it has over double hinge mini bins. We're happy you are happy. Whether we agree with your opinions on the other bins optics or not.
Cordially,
Bob

CSG said:
Not to be too contrary in the *Leica* forum but in my tests of the Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss Victory (with the new dielectric prism coating) 10x25's, the Ultravids were a clear third place with the Swarovskis slightly better than the Victorys. However, the Victorys were $200 less (actually, I got a pretty good deal so they were $250 less) and ergonomically superior to both so I bought the Victorys. The Leicas were out of the running after 30 minutes.

Count me among those who would like to see a 7 or 8x25 from these manufacturers though.
Not to my eyes at all - but I haven't seen the new Zeiss. They'll be good but technically no brighter than the Ultravids. I bet even Zeiss would say as much. The Ultravids are technically at the forefront.

Bob's points are very well made.

ceasar, yes, as I said the ergonomics (for me) were superior with the Zeiss; they come up fast. And yes, I'm not a serious birder like many of you but I do look and try to observe and learn. Specifically though, optically, where I found the Leicas to be lacking was their apparent brightness, resolution at distance - especially in a shaded area (this was where the Swaros were the best of the three), and edge sharpness. If you've seen my comments in the Zeiss forum, you also know I was really suprised because I'm a fan of Leica cameras and lenses. When you add the $200 difference in price between the Leicas and Swaros ($650) and Zeiss ($450), well...

As far as opinions though, I'm just sharing mine. They are neither right or wrong. Objective tests of optics ultimately end up being rather meaningless as all of our eyes work slightly differently, our bodies are different, and our useage (needs/wants) may be different too. No one should get too exorcised over my comments, I'm merely adding them to the mix for people looking to buy something.

I'm not an optical engineer but I do own some fine telescopes (couple of TeleVues and a Questar) and some fine ep's (TV, Brandon, Pentax) to go with them and know something about what good optics are supposed to look like (at least by my standards).

I appreciate all this is subjective but, for most of us, our various experiences are equally valid.

Chris

Looks like you own some of the same telescopes and eyepieces I own. (Except for the Questar) I have a Brandon Amici Diagonal and their 8-24 Zoom Lens on one of my Televues that I use as a bird scope.

Eagle Optics lists prices for their big 3 minis as follows: (10 x 25)
Leica Trinovid--479.00
Leica Ultravid--645.00
Swarovski------649.00
Zeiss Victory---489.00
Zeiss Conquest-349.00
I have 8 x 20 Trinovids, but I would be hard pressed to find much difference among them all in that format as far as optics go. Waterproofing adds more costs as do new materials such as magnesium, etc. Zeiss's ergonomics in their Victorys is a strong selling point too, not to mention their price. Frankly, I don't think Zeiss can make an optically superior binocular to Leica and Swarovski and sell it for $150.00 less and make a profit. All 3 companies are on the cutting edge of the state of the art now.
Bob

Last edited:
I would guess the body materials have something to do with the price of the Zeiss'. But with Zeiss T* and P* coatings, optically they are on par, especially with edge performance, brightness, and resolution IMO. Zeiss is also getting a LOT of favorable press with these so there could be a little gamesmanship going on too. I could see the price creeping up to get closer to the other two.

I paid $395 for mine just a week ago from binoculars.com but, apparently, it was an error on their website. They honored the price (it was one of those click-for-price things) but the next day, it showed whatever the going rate is (I thought it was $450).

Anyway, just my thoughts on the whole thing. Not trying to beat a dead horse or anything. ;)

Chris

Personally, if I were in the market for a 10 x 25, I'd get the Victory too. But I'd get it because of it's single hinge and the lower cost.
Bob

I have a pair of 10x25 Ultravid's and I love them. I quite often try other peoples bins and I always wonder why people want to carry so much weight around with them. These are small and go with me everywhere. Except of course today. I went to a local bird hide and they were sitting on the kitchen table luckily I had my scope and saw a Garganey for the first time.

See my blog www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

Really, the only thing wrong with any of these compacts, like many others have said, is the small exit pupil. On a nice sunny day when your pupils are contracted, they're all really wonderful but they're still more fidgety than something with a larger exit pupil. I really think these types of cpmpacts are better for somewhat experienced users. For all day use, any of them would be a bit fatiguing, I imagine. For casual always-have-them-with-you use, very hard to beat.

Think of it this way, you can have a top of the line compact from Nikon or the European Big Three for a third the cost of one of their full-size bins. Of course, if you're willing to take a porro, you can have something about as good as these high-end compacts for a third to half their cost.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back