• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC vs EL? (1 Viewer)

Depends of the format.

Regarding the 42mm, some people find the SLC optically identical to the EL (so Alpha to them) , most find the EL above the SLC.

The SLC 56 are Alpha for sure, but can't really be compared to EL (it's like comparing orange and apples)
But on paper, AK Prisms and better light transmission for the SLC's

"Regarding the 42mm, some people find the SLC optically identical to the EL (so Alpha to them)"

Really! I find that hard to believe. They are both excellent binoculars but there is big differences between them IMO. They must not look at the edges.

It has been said on this very forum Dennis, and comming from people more experienced than you. And honestly, I don't find that hard to believe at all.

Thanks for your replies. I think this can be a matter of personal opinion. And what was premium binoculars a few years ago maybe isn't considered to be that today. For example I think there is no discussion that Swarovski SLC new 7X42 B(which I earlier owned but replaced with Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42) at least was a premium glass at the time of its introduction. It's not as sharp as the new SLC but I think it had the best edge sharpness of Swarovskis(and better than rivalling 7x42 models) until Swarovision was released.
Apart from that I think it's important to state that neither FOV, ER or close focus are characteristics of quality but performance, and I am doubtful if these things should be included in the valuation of whether the glass belongs to premium class or not. That may also be a matter of opinion of course...

Last edited:
Speaking for Western US hunters they are even more obsessed with Optics and Swar EL is the most lusted after model for literally hours of scanning using a tripod.

Speaking for Western US hunters they are even more obsessed with Optics and Swar EL is the most lusted after model for literally hours of scanning using a tripod.

I will second this. Have an "edge" is of big importance, as one can notice things more with this advantage.

I would think for birding this would be better as well as not everything is apparent by viewing directly forward. having an "edge" can be a hold in my experience.

I will second this. Have an "edge" is of big importance, as one can notice things more with this advantage.

I would think for birding this would be better as well as not everything is apparent by viewing directly forward. having an "edge" can be a hold in my experience.

You both have it wrong. The Swarovski SLC 15x56 is the one desired by
long distance viewers, and that does mainly include hunters. ;)

Swarovski does not have or need an EL for this market.

Jerry

Just to say in case it is of any interest to readers of this thread.. yesterday I took delivery of a new, current model SLC 10x42 HD and apart from being generally very impressed because of its compact size, image quality and light weight as well as typically solid Swarovski construction I was very pleasantly surprised by how useable the outer field is compared with some other alpha non-flat field designs.

I say this as someone who is also happy with flat field, and enjoy the qualities of the 10x50 EL SV.

The subjective review based on good weather use yesterday at medium distances outdoors and close up indoors is over here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=388657

Tom

I have had both the SLC's and EL's in different formats... but when I have compared the two I have always been WOWED more by the EL's.

Fixed your post.

I always like hearing what in the end "wows" people more. While I do like to read allbinos, I find adhering strictly to their rankings a bit silly when comparing binoculars.

Both the EL's and the SLC's have wowed me, albeit in different formats.

I was wowed by the EL 8x32, and now I am being wowed by the SLC 15x56.

Its all part of the fun. Everyone is different but as soon as you find those binoculars that simply work best for you, the rest is history.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back