• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds and Stars - Pentax V Nikon (1 Viewer)

RalfR

Hi all, I've been screening the Binocular section of the forum for a few days as a means of gathering information prior to purchase of my first "bins".

I live in Australia and visit the Outback 2-3 times a year and would like to explore both bird watching and astronomy using binoculars. I don't go shooting or hunting, although enjoy bushwalking and looking at animals from a distance.

From what I can gather so far for birdwatching 8X40 is a reasonable first choice, and for astronomy, proabably 10X50 is a good starting point. There may be an occasional sports game in there somewhere as well.

I don't really understand a lot of the terms used (porro etc) except in a reudimentary way. However it seems like a good option if visual quality is required, so I think that's the path I'll take.

I have an reasonable Pentax camera system, which began in the early 80's and I'm very loyal to the brand, for no real reason other than I've enjoyed the product and design ethos of the company. That's not to say I wouldn't entertain other options. I do however have a lot of respect for Japanese manufacturing systems and quality control processes.

Having looked at costs, I think I'm down to a Nikon Action Ex Vs Pentax PCF WPII. I'm in my 40's and have young children who would also use the binoculars. I don't wear glasses.I have a sturdy manfrotto tripod with a quick release plate.

I'd appreciate any feedback from the group about the direction I'm heading in, and whether I should be considering other options. If I am heading in the right direction, is either of these models "better" or more appropriate for my needs?

Thanking you in advance - RalfR.

Hi all, I've been screening the Binocular section of the forum for a few days as a means of gathering information prior to purchase of my first "bins".

I live in Australia and visit the Outback 2-3 times a year and would like to explore both bird watching and astronomy using binoculars. I don't go shooting or hunting, although enjoy bushwalking and looking at animals from a distance.

From what I can gather so far for birdwatching 8X40 is a reasonable first choice, and for astronomy, proabably 10X50 is a good starting point. There may be an occasional sports game in there somewhere as well.

I don't really understand a lot of the terms used (porro etc) except in a reudimentary way. However it seems like a good option if visual quality is required, so I think that's the path I'll take.

I have an reasonable Pentax camera system, which began in the early 80's and I'm very loyal to the brand, for no real reason other than I've enjoyed the product and design ethos of the company. That's not to say I wouldn't entertain other options. I do however have a lot of respect for Japanese manufacturing systems and quality control processes.

Having looked at costs, I think I'm down to a Nikon Action Ex Vs Pentax PCF WPII. I'm in my 40's and have young children who would also use the binoculars. I don't wear glasses.I have a sturdy manfrotto tripod with a quick release plate.

I'd appreciate any feedback from the group about the direction I'm heading in, and whether I should be considering other options. If I am heading in the right direction, is either of these models "better" or more appropriate for my needs?

Thanking you in advance - RalfR.

Hello!
I have a PCF WP II 8x40, and I can recommend it.
The optical quality is very good.
To improve optically, you'd have to go into the Zeiss/Swarovski realm.

The field of view (angle) is not very wide, but within what it offers it competes favorably with more expensive instruments.
It is very well built and water/dust-tight.

With more than 800 grams it is not the lightest, but it is a very sturdy instrument.

I can't say anything about the Nikon EX, as I have never been able to handle one; they are simply not on offer over here.
The have a wider field of view but I don't know and am not sure if it's better or as good as the Pentax's.

I consider the value-for-money ratio of the Pentax WP II very good.

The Pentax is made in China (like most "japanese" gadgets these days), but quality control seems to operate just fine.

Maybe there's something useful in here for you.
Best regards,
Thomas (ME super, MX, Super A, P30, Z20 :t:)

If your kids are going to be using them as well, they might find both the Nikon and Pentax booth too heavy and cumbersome and the IPD spacing may not fit their eyes (depending on their size and age of course). For a very good, inexpensive all around binocular take a hard look at the Leupold Yosemite. They come in 6x30 and 8x30 versions. They have wonderful optics, are lightweight, have nice wide fov, and they were designed from the get-go for kids and smaller stature people. They also work fine for large adults as well. They are my pick for the best value for the money binocular on the market. For about $90-100 US, you get a $500 view. It will take a lot of money to improve these much.

This series of articles may help you with information to make your decision
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1769

Both the models you selected have a minimum IPD 0f 56-57mm, not the closest available, but certainly close and accommodating. Also both weigh in at 30-31 ouinces (850-880 g.) so are not exceedingly heavy. And both have aperture that at least gets you into the low end realm of that needed for astronomy. 30mm of aperture is unsuitable for astronomy. The Nikon AE 8x40 is by far the wider fov of the two, however the Pentax due to its better corrected outer edges actually has a wider usable fov.

The 10x50s in both brands weight in at 35-36oz (1000g.). Pretty much the same comments that I've noted about the 8x40s can be repeated about the 10x50s, except the Nikon AE10x50 has an equally wide usable fov to the Pentax 10x50.

Both the Nikon and Pentax models mentioned here are made in China.

edz

Last edited:
Thanks Edz, I read you articles - very comprehensive. I understand the anount of work needed to write such a report - well done. I think this confirms my preference for the Pentax 8x40. Cheers.

Just a quick thankyou. I have just picked up a pair of Pentax 8x40 PCF WPII. Wow, what a view. The caps are a bit ordinary and loose, will be lost very soon no doubt. I like the grip and feeling of solidness. Thank you all!!! 3D effect is something I have not seen before.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back