• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UK, no response. (1 Viewer)

Hello, I quickly change to a 82mm although the difference is really visible in low light, and also to make digiscoping.

Leica Repaired Returned

Ok got the bins back.

Need to take them out and have a better look with them but first impression is they seem to have repaired the main problem with the sticking right barrel focus but its still a pretty strange unsmooth focus which now has some odd slack point which appears and dissappears and reappears etc?

Just had another try with them from the house and the focus is just totally jerky and clunky and plain awful compared with my Hawke 8x56 which is properly smooth.

There is simply no way that these "repaired" binoculars are as I was told they should be and that is "silky smooth". These are absolutely not in the same ball park.

So I guess you are getting the jist that I am not happy. I think this should have been a straight binocular replacement if they were not able to do better than this. After all they were basically new when I sent them in so it would have been new for new.

added edit:
Something else is strange. I'm pretty sure the objectives had a purple tint reflection before and now they don't seem to have any tint and its possible that there is not as much CA as before while viewing through them but its a dull day and not easy to tell yet for sure if that is the case. I need to get out and check this but if its true that they have done something there then that could be very nice indeed.

On the repair letter they only said that all parts were adjusted? Definitely dust that was there internally previously is gone. I wonder?

i should also say that the focus does acheive perfect focus and thats with the diopter set at zero whereas before I had to set if to +1.

If this is true about the CA then sod the focus I'll be happy. The objectives definitely had a distinct purple tinge before thats now gone? When I look out at backlit leaves there is basically no CA. If this really is true in all lights then this is fantastic as the CA was quite strong before.

Just had to go out back to check this and I'm pretty much certain that something has happened but what? There appears now definitely to be basically no CA were before it could be substantial and checking the objectives in outside light the purple tinge is definitely gone replaced by clear objectives although I think there is still something purple coated looking further down into the barrel but it is only slight.

I need to test further but I'm almost certian that something not mentioned has changed.

Last edited:
I've noticed that colors of coatings can change their intensity when viewed in different lighting and at different angles in the same light.

Bob

I didn't go out today as I wasn't feeling great and the weather is rubbish but tomorrow is supposed to be much better so I hope I will get a good try out then.

Before I sent them away they always had a strong purple tint, every time I looked at them, over the months I owned them. Must be other people with HD know what I'm talking about? Well now every time I look at them there is no purple tint so that strikes me as being different and I held them up to light and angled them about and looked with a torch and nope, no more purple. I don't think this change is possible with just the binocular having been adjusted but maybe it is? If there is less CA now then who cares really what happened and so far they do seem better as regards CA.

Still, I will wait until tomorrow and hopefully some sun and I will go to a spot where I really had CA problems before. I'm hoping also that if there has been some change made that they haven't lost any of the great colour view they had before.

Clive,
Sorry you're having such a time. I haven't seen the HD so can't comment on color fringing or coating appearance, but I have owned three Leicas, a BA, a BN, and a BR, and would like to comment on the issue of the notorious juddery focus. (I am an American, and only know the word "judder" in its relation to Leica binocular focusing!)

Peoples' description of the focusing action on their Leicas is so all over the map! Some folks have had several and claim all were smooth as silk, through those who had a problem that was corrected, those whose focusers started out smooth and got rough, and those whose focusers who started out rough and got smooth, right down to those who have tried several and hated them all. Is it people, the binoculars, or both, that vary so wildly?

Well to qualify myself as having experienced a focus that is almost universally agreed to be extremely smooth, I have a Zeiss FL. Its focus action is remarkable, in that, although the knob is not particularly effortless to rotate, there is almost no "sticktion", or static resistance that must be overcome before the motion begins, which then requires less force to maintain, than to initially set in motion.

All three of my Leicas have been about the same, with considerable sticktion. When i use one finger and barely push the knob along as slowly as I can, indeed, it jumps along in little steps of a few degrees, eck-eck-eck-eck-eck. Perfectly horrible, you could very well say.

The funny thing is, in the field I have not the slightest problem with it. I think all it is, is it requires a different technique. I put two fingers on the knob, bear down like I mean business, and apply some force, more than enough to get it going, to the thing. Once it starts moving, it takes some finesse to keep the speed of rotation moderated, but it's not hard to do, it just takes some finger muscle. Keeping a good squeezing force throughout the operation seems to help. They seem to cooperate nicely with this "macho" approach. Once mastered, there is actually an advantage to it, which is it encourages rapid focusing and getting down to viewing, rather than micro-rocking the focus back and forth and straining the eyes to determine the very best focus point.

I am guessing a competent tech at Leica must have picked up your binocular, gave the knob a go, and said to himself something like "not a problem here, why do we get so many complaints about these things?"

So I fear that what you are describing is probably only consistent with typical Leica behavior, and that if you can't adjust yourself to it, you might just have to give up on it, or else have to "bite hard" to get what you want. You might be able to convince them to not merely ascertain that it is "normal", but to put some serious grease in there so it will suit you better.

Some of this was sort of hard to put into words. But I hope it sheds some light on what you may be up against. You need to make it very clear to them what you want, which they may regard as out of the ordinary, I'm afraid.

Good luck with it,
Ron

Ron that totally hits it all on the head. All over the place would seem to sum it up exactly. Exactly what I am experiencing.

Main things are the optics are superb and the focus does focus accurately. I hope they remain like that for a long time and in the end Leica have done something about it and all under warranty.

If these were not so brilliant a binocular otherwise, I would change because of that focus, lets call it a particular style or as some might say, a feature.

They did fix the really bad sticking and squeaking on the right side and now both sides are equalised but as I said there is some kind of occasional sudden slack effect been introduced and it seems to be in exchange for the sticking squeaking. It just does my head in a bit but I guess I'm for going out and trying them today to see how much or if it really still bothers me and I'm interested to see what has changed optically.

Leica ask for feedback so I might do that but I want to be fair and critical if need be in order that it might improve what they need to do in future. For example they left some repair work signs on an otherwise pristine bin and they have loosened the central hinge when it was fine as it was. Its nice and free now but if it free's any more then it won't even hold its position? Any other time with bin repairs from other brands they have done the opposite so this seems to me a bit sloppy.

When i use one finger and barely push the knob along as slowly as I can, indeed, it jumps along in little steps of a few degrees, eck-eck-eck-eck-eck. Perfectly horrible, you could very well say.

The funny thing is, in the field I have not the slightest problem with it.

Very much to the point, this desciption. If I play with the focus at home, the Zeiss feels much nicer than the Leica, but out in the field no problem at all with the Leica. In contrary, the Leica focusser is quite more precise than the Zeiss (but I guess that's more because it's not so fast).

For CA, with the HD, if properly centred on the eyes I find very little purple fringing in the central area of the view, none in most situations. I see some around the edge of the view or if I badly place my eyes . Bad alignment certainly causes CA, so I suppose in your case there was something wrong before and has been adjusted now. Perhaps that was even related to the stuck focussing element?

Last edited:
Its what happened to the objectives that were purple before is what I'm wondering?

I might even ask Leica about this but I'm going out shortly to do some testing first. I am really worried that I won't see that fascinating colour that the bins used to have which could especially be noticed in autumn leaves. That was my favourite thing about them.

Clive, Sorry to ask this, is the serial number the same on the binocular you got back? Almost seems like a different binocular with the difference in coating color.

Same serial.

Can anyone with an HD model or that has access to one or that knows someone with one please say if the objectives have a purple tint or are clear or if like me they started purple and somehow changed after returning from a Leica service?

Was out today for a test over a few hours and the optics are great but I started to wonder had Leica taken out the HD objective lenses and put normal ultravid lenses in as I think those are clear?

Anyway the view was good. The light was a bit harsh wintery type so I don't think it showed the colour that I remember so well or else they are different lenses.

The focus was bearable but I don't think I will ever like it.

CA was there but not to bad. I think I need a few more outings to see if they really are the same optics as before but they did do a good job today whatever they are.

Tried various diopter settings again to see if it needed fine tuning but I've ended up back at zero although there do seem to be several settings that are usable but I think zero is the best compromise.

I don't like the Leica diopter system. Its hard to hold one wheel steady while focusing the other. What is the point of doing it like that?

If the binocular had been exchanged for a new one the ring with the serial number from the original binocular would have been transfered to the new one.

It is a simple case of unscrewing a ring and is much easier than having to ammend guarantee records, etc.

BTW.....normal non HD lenses are not clear.

Ok thats interesting. Could have been replaced by an older one that had been repaired previously. Who knows? Do I care anymore?

Still no idea what tint a Leica HD or an non HD actually has or should have.

Guess no one wants to tell.

Clive, you could always sell your Leica and buy 2-3 different Hawke binoculars. You seemed to like that Pro-Stalk.

Are you interested in buying? For a decent price I would defintiely consider selling these. They have the just serviced cert from Leica.

Yes I do like the Prostalk. Doesn't have anything like the field of the Leica but its great when you get out and use it which I intend to continue doing.

First I am going to try the Leica a bit more and if I don't like it as much as I remember it before then I am going to contact Leica to try and find out what happened.

If I do continue to like them then no issue.

Another option of course is to sell them and just get a compact Hawke to go with the big one. At least the Hawke haven't given any trouble whereas these Leica have only been trouble.

Last edited:
I don't like the Leica diopter system.

Not sure about your particular bin, but in general I find the Leica diopter system by far the best available. It's the only one where you do not need to close an eye or cover one barrel to adjust the diopter, but can do the fine tuning with both eyes open. I find that very intuitive.

Not that I think this a very important feature, but Leica's solution for this is much better than any other brand, in my opinion.

Its hard to hold one wheel steady while focusing the other. What is the point of doing it like that?

If you pull the focus wheel to seperate both parts and activate the dipter setting mechanism, you should be able to focus freely with both wheels and change focus indiviually in the two barrels. While operating one half-wheel (focussing one barrel) the other does not move, no need to hold it for being steady. That is, if there is nothing wrong with your bin.

Last edited:
CliveP

I think the purple tint is because of the Leica AquaDura the Hydro-phobic coating

This was also noticable on Zeiss FL with Lotutec

Scat

Ok, I just want to leave a final positive note on this thread.

I am once again in harmony with my Leica 10x32 HD. A very remarkable little binocular.

I have seen views again that confirm to me how good these bins are, in fact I think since the repair they do work better and are easier to use.

I've seen ultra clear brilliant colour and contrast close ups of little strands growing out of moss to low CA in flight detail views of Reed Buntings and Gulls etc.

I will still continue to use my Hawke when I can but I will keep these Leica as a compact alternative. It would be impossible to think of selling them even in these cash constraining times. These are my Alpha and they are for the reason that I don't consider anything less would be as good optically.

I still rate the Hawke very highly and am glad that I have 2 excellent binoculars, although with very different approaches to obtaining excellent views.

I too have experienced problems like Clive with my new (ex-demo) Ultravid 8x32 HD.
I had tried a pair in my local dealer that had a silky smooth focus but mine are a touch juddery. Not as bad as the previous non-HD Ultravids but if (and no dis-respect intended) brands such as Opticron can acheive a nice smooth focus at the £100 level then why the hell can't Leica at £1300?
Totally unacceptable in my view.
I tried them in the field and marvelled at the image but then after a week or so noticed a dark fleck in one of the barrels that was visible near the edge of the FOV. Looking through the objective end at a bright light I can actually see TWO specks on the inside of the eyepiece lens..
Not impressed I have arranged for Leica to repair. They are collected tomorrow so hopefully by mid-december I will have them back and they BETTER be 100% fixed with a smooth focus and a total clean-out.
My Leica dream is close to being shattered. I have waited 25 years to own them...

Coincedentally I looked down mine with my very bright torch (now with new Duracel) and I can see what must be a scratch although looks like an eyebrow lash which is not nice but given that I know they are the bin for me and that in the field they do work astonishingly well then I can just shrug and forget about it. The focus does not now bother me as before and now of course seems to work correctly at the zero setting.

I would say that I do believe it is not the same binocular that I sent for repair that I got back but on balance this one seems fine and still good enough to impress.

My Hawke seem remarkably dust free internally but maybe its just not showing up as much with the different barrel coatings.

Last night I was comparing the Leica 10x32HD with the Hawke to see how much better in low light were the Hawke 8x56ED. Well the answer is almost unbelievably not much! How this can be I really do not understand? I don't know whether to be extra impressed by the Leica or a bit dissapointed in the Hawke or a bit of both.

Mosschops. I'm sure Leica will sort you out ok so I wouldn't worry about it to much. For me it meant I had to buy the Hawke to have something while I waited on the repair but I suppose I gained a very interesting alternative. Actually I didn't miss the Leica being gone with the Hawke but now the Leica are back and working well I am happy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back