• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (5 Viewers)

In the interest of keeping it where it belongs, I'm commenting SX50 on Sports mode from the SX60 topic. This is a reply from here. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3118577#post3118577

So I messed with Sports mode on the SX50 today for the first time in a long time. I just used stationary objects. My first observation is that for a high tree limb when I took the shots looking though the EVF, they frequently looked out of focus but on the computer most were fine.

The odd thing is that sports mode was never able to actually focus on a closer object. Standing in my driveway I took photos of my down spout. On both of my SX50's sports mode was NEVER able to get a focus. But my normal shooting mode on C1 had no problems. It's peculiar. Sports mode may have some peculiar limitation when something isn't far away? I'd guess the down spout was about 20 feet away from me in the attached photos.

I tried many times to get sports mode to focus. It never could.

Anyway, two photos attached. One of sports mode and one on my regular C1. Out of about 50 shots in sports mode NONE were focused and even on initial half press of the shutter, was completely unable to focus. Normal C1 was just fine. Strange.

These are both maximum optical zoom but no teleconverter.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
The manual says closest focus on max telephoto whilst in Sports Mode is 13 metres - guess your downpipe was within this range?

Thanks! I actually reviewed Sports mode in the manual this morning. I don't know how I could have missed that! Yes I am sure I was closer than 13 meters.

EDIT: It's says go see the Specifications. I see how I missed it now.

Last edited:
** C1*** C2*** Comment
1*** AF Frame:*** Flexzone*** Flexzone*** -This is what Sets the focus to the center focus square by default. User can shift this around but I have not tried. With maz zoom at 2x, knowing how to do this could be helpful
2*** Digital Zoom:** Off*** Off***
3*** AF-Point Zoom: On*** _*** -This gives a magnified view of the focus point. It focuses only once.
4*** OnServo AF*:** Off*** On*** -This and below somehow related and camera constantly tries to optimise focus until shutter is pressed.
5*** Continuous AF: ** Off*** On***
6*** AF Assist Beam:*** Off*** Off***
7*** MF Point Zoom*:** Off*** Off***
8*** Safety MF: *** Off*** Off***
9*** Flast Control:** *** -***
10*** ISO Austo Settings:* *** ***
11*** High ISO NR Standard:*** Standard*** Standard***
12*** Spot AE Point/AF Point:*** AF Point*** AF Point*** -Exposure uses the focus point only instead of the whole scene
13*** Movie Ausio*** *** -***
14*** Review – Quick:** Quick*** Quick***
15*** Review Info*** *** Blank***
16*** Blink Detection:*** Off*** Off***
17*** Custom Display:** -*** -***
18*** Reverse Display:** *** ***
19*** IS Settings: Continuous 1 Continuous 1***
20*** Display area*** Small*** Small***
21*** Date stamp off*** Off*** Off***
22*** Face ID settings*** *** ***
23*** Set Shortcut Button T*** T*** T***

I'm really surprised and humbled that people are still referring people to these settings I posted so long ago. There are a lot of people who have been posting in this thread who know so much more how to use the P and Tv and Av mode than i do. To be honest they confuse me.

But, for someone who just got this camera and is no expert on Ps and Tv and Av, like me, and just wants to get going taking gratifying photos, below is what I have settled on as my standard settings.

These I use for C1 an C2
1*** AF Frame:*** Flexizone This forces the focus in the box in the center of the screen.
2*** Digital Zoom:***Off
3*** AF-Point Zoom:*** Off*** When on optical zoom, on magnifies the focus point
4*** OnServo AF*:***Off When on it's constantly trying to refocus when the shutter is half pressed. It's annoying
5*** Continuous AF: ** Off*** When On it tries to focus even if you are not even looking through the viewfinder. Waste of battery.
6*** AF Assist Beam:*** Off
7*** MF Point Zoom*:** Off
8*** Safety MF: *** Off
9*** Flash Control:** *** -***
10*** ISO Austo Settings:*
11*** High ISO NR ****Standard:
12*** Spot AE Point/AF Point:*** AF Point*** AF Point*** -Exposure uses the focus point instead of the whole scene
13*** Movie Audio***
14*** Review – Quick:**
15*** Review Info***
16*** Blink Detection:***Off
17*** Custom Display:** -
18*** Reverse Display:**
19*** IS Settings: Continuous 1
20*** Display area***Small
21*** Date stamp off*** Off*** Off***
22*** Face ID settings***
23*** Set Shortcut Button T***

While the above are the same for C1 and C2, I do have C1 and C2 set to turn on in different ways.

C2 is set to switch immediately to 1.5x teleconverter and to automatically zoom out half-way the moment I turn on the camera. This is a quick setup.

The way to do this is to put the teleconverter onto 1.5 and then zoom out and then go the the menu and set to C2 before turning the camera off.

Settings that are in the Funct Set wheel can also be saved. You have the camera on and make any changes inside Funct Set and then go to menu and save to C1 or C2 before shutting the camera off. C1 I have set to save the jpg to superfine. That's also done as described above.

Most of the bells and whistles are off. The whole point to those settings above are to do two simple things. 1 to force the camera to focus in the focus box that's in the center of the frame and 2 use that focus point to set exposure. All the continuous and servo focus stuff seems to just get the camera confused.

One last point. The 1.5x and 2x teleconverter is handy not just to get the bit of extra zoom without the need to crop but by zooming in that much more they often make the difference between being able to fit the focus box between branches and on the bird or getting a perfectly focused picture of a branch and a fuzzy bird in the background. It lets you fit the focus though a small hole.

Last edited:
I got a second SX50 this week. About 1 out of 10 times that I turn on the new one it goes click click click and does not immediately turn on until I try to zoom. Sounds like a lens issue. Votes that I should return to amazon and get another before the Amazon return period runs out?

Tbh I often use mine to aid ID when I haven't got my scope with me.

Rich

This is why I got mine, in a hide the other day without my scope, we clinched an ID of a small wader some 100 yards away, which my fellow observers found amazing.
But when I see images like your Sprawk then photography rears its ugly head. ;)

I got a second SX50 this week. About 1 out of 10 times that I turn on the new one it goes click click click and does not immediately turn on until I try to zoom. Sounds like a lens issue. Votes that I should return to amazon and get another before the Amazon return period runs out?

I would, otherwise it will forever annoy you.

Since I bought mine some two months ago, the same retailer has increased the price by £50 and is selling the SX 60 for not much more. Not sure why, but can speculate 8-P

Return.

Crazyfingers - those settings for C1 and C2. Do you use "P" mode? Or Av or whatever?

No. I'm sure I started from AUTO but that was almost 2 years ago.

I have not tried saving P or Tv, etc.. to C2 or C1. I don't know if P mode can be modified and saved to C1 or C2. I tried saving Sport mode to C1 but the camera will not allow that.

Last edited:
Well I've started the process to return the likely defective SX50 I just got. I fear that the "click, click click" delayed start-up will turn into a lens error over time. Amazon does make it easy. I just went to my orders and said I wanted to do a defective exchange. They emailed me a UPS label and have already started shipping me the replacement. I have until Dec 23 to re-box the defective one, tape the label on and take it to the UPS store down by the local grocery.

Some experimentation with Sport mode today. It also ended up being a lifer. I do want to experiment more to see if I can set sport mode onto C1 or two. I have the feeling thought that the teleconverter and sport mode can't be used together but need to research it.

Anyway, A Ruddy Duck. New to my life list. It was fun to see the forward one pop up as I was shooting.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 143
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back