• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

Last autumn coffee-talk at la Gola

Hello again!
Today at 3.30pm the last coffee-talk of the season about Balearic subspecies.
Cheers,
Cristina.

Attachments

• Xerrada subespècies tardor2019ANG.jpg
    Xerrada subespècies tardor2019ANG.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 32
Sorry to miss your talk Christina.Next time!
A short visit to Albuferata today.
Birds seen included Flamingos(20); Cattle Egrets(60); Great White and Little Egret, Common Sandpiper, GreenShank, Kentish Plover, Marsh Harriers, Kestrel, Cetti and Fan tailed Warblers, Kingfisher, Water Rails, Hoopoes.

Good number of dragonflies and Butterflies including Plain Tigers.

Mike

Attachments

• 43725311-F542-4FF0-A829-CFB075F40DF0.jpeg
    43725311-F542-4FF0-A829-CFB075F40DF0.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 5DDCD8F3-DAB8-4ED7-995B-69923E003470.jpeg
    5DDCD8F3-DAB8-4ED7-995B-69923E003470.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 10E70E12-63C9-45B1-B595-174EC0B130BE.jpeg
    10E70E12-63C9-45B1-B595-174EC0B130BE.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I went to the Cap supposedly briefly for the group photo but stayed three hours as it was all action.
1 Buzzard now confirmed as Honey Buzzard from photos.
2 Black Kite
1 Booted Eagle
1 Eleonora’s
2 Lapwings (first sighting for this site)
8 Siskin, a nice surprise
40 Barn Swallows
Italian sparrow still present.
One Yellow-browed Warbler found by Juanjo on Cabrera
One Short-toed Eagle at Villafranca found and photographed by Patrick.
Butterflies everywhere, probably more than I have seen this autumn, my eyes were on the sky but a great selection.
Mike

Last edited:
A long, lazy lunch with Mike Swiss and Susan was the highlight of the day at Porto Colom although three magnificent Common Crane flying across a perfect blue sky, calling as they went, ran it a pretty close second.
We visited the site where Yellow-browed warblers have been seen for the last few autumns, but despite a probable bird calling and a brief but promising sighting, we were unable to pin this annual visitor down.
A sea watch after lunch produced very little. A large collection of gulls were following a fishing boat with a few Scopoli’s shearwaters tacked onto the back. Further back still were a good number of Sandwich terns.
A very enjoyable day as it always is when Mike is around but a bit short on bird-life with neither Balearic nor Dartford warblers putting in an appearance.
Mike

Thanks Mike

A great day.

The Crane is new for my Mallorca list.

Booted Eagles, Kestrels, Cattle Egrets on the way back north.

See you soon

Juanjo seems to be having a good time on Cabrera, seeing a Lesser whitethroat and a Brambling.
More to come I hope, it’s a superb place to be at this time of the year.
Mike

A sunny walk up to Ternelles Valley (up to the locked gate).

Birds seen included:

Black Vultures (4), Griffon Vultures (2), Peregrine Falcon, Booted Eagle, Kestrel, Blue Rock Thrush, Crag Martins, Ravens, Black redstarts, Chiffchaff, etc

Nice number of butterflies including Painted Ladies, Plain Tiger, Cleopatra, Langs Short tailed Blue.

If you wish to enter the valley, apply for a guided tour:

https://visitaguiadaternelles.com/1/info/en/

Attachments

• A3A90E2A-E086-4203-BF09-1D217B9C0295.jpeg
    A3A90E2A-E086-4203-BF09-1D217B9C0295.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 6DD5C4A1-5C10-421E-B01A-AC09000E8792.jpeg
    6DD5C4A1-5C10-421E-B01A-AC09000E8792.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
An evening walk around S’Albuferata to look at the Sunset.
Few Cattle Egrets and Grey Herons coming to roost.
No Eleonoras Falcoln seen (maybe too late)
Two Greylag Geese flew past.
Mosquitoes active but fewer than expected
Its been a Great day

Attachments

• 33190E6F-24AA-45EF-AAFF-EB39477D87C1.jpeg
    33190E6F-24AA-45EF-AAFF-EB39477D87C1.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 25
Many Vagrant Emperors at the end of Ses Puntes track at Albufera, impossible to count, they were flying all around me. I'm a novice when it comes to dragonfly identification, but I think I found a Violet Dropwing and a Common Darter too. I was looking for Plain Tiger butterflies, and saw my first while trying to photograph the Vagrant Emperors, but it didn't settle for a photo.

Attachments

• Vagrant Emperor.jpg
    Vagrant Emperor.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Violet Dropwing.jpg
    Violet Dropwing.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Common Darter.jpg
    Common Darter.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 39
Stunning photos Clive and good to know Vagrant Emperors are still around, what a year it’s been.
I’m sure you have a Violet dropping there but StewB will confirm no doubt.
We are submitting records of all dragonfly sightings so I can send you the email address if you wouldn’t mind.
I believe some locals and myself are compiling a list and a feature article too. If we can use your photos please, that would be good.
A numbers of us Brits are meeting at 9am on Monday at the depuradora, Albufera, if you are able to join us.
Hope to see you then, Mike

Many Vagrant Emperors at the end of Ses Puntes track at Albufera, impossible to count, they were flying all around me. I'm a novice when it comes to dragonfly identification, but I think I found a Violet Dropwing and a Common Darter too. I was looking for Plain Tiger butterflies, and saw my first while trying to photograph the Vagrant Emperors, but it didn't settle for a photo.

Yes - violet dropwing. They’re getting fairly straightforward to find now a bit later in the year. It’s not many years since they arrived (I recall Martin posting some of the first records on the forum).

Common darter too - a good find as they are well outnumbered by red-veined. (There’s no blue at the base of the eyes which would be a re-veined characteristic, and the legs have the pale lines along their length).

The vagrant emperor numbers are just extraordinary. I did a literature search for the notes I produced (thanks Mike S!) and although vagrant emperor was shown as present there were no specific details, so this year’s records are totally unprecedented. I believe that there have been large numbers on eastern Med islands too.

As Mike M says, it looks like dragonfly records are going to be gathered and collated, which I’m certain will bring a whole new perspective on Balearic Odonata. Thanks Clive!

Stew

Thanks Mike.
A very good article by StewB. Sorry Stew, I should have said “ a number of locals, StewB and myself” ! I think your paper will form much of the article.
I was hoping we could all pool our knowledge and photos for an article to be published in the annual bird report although I cant remember who is doing what.
I know some locals would like to see this done but I don’t want to tread on anyone’s toes so if we can work together, that would be great. I only have a few records and some photos so I hope others will contribute too.
Mike

Last edited:
With all due credit to Lalo and the Mallorca Raptor Count, here are the totals for the migration of birds of prey for this autumn.
Many previous records have been smashed, mostly due, I believe, to the greater coverage by many locals and visitors.
My thanks to everyone involved.

486 Common Kestrel
287 Booted eagles
281 Honey Buzzard
279 Marsh Harrier
102 Eleonora’s falcon
61 Black Kite
58 Hobby
50 Red Kite
11 Osprey
8 Montagu’s Harrier
4 Common Buzzard
2 Red-footed falcon
2 Sparrowhawk
1 Short-toed snake Eagle
1 Egyptian Vulture
1 Merlín.

Mike

Speaking of the locals, it is really heartening to see so many more birders at the Cap this year.
Even better is that many are young and there is often a 50/50 split between male and female.
I am very happy that birding has increased in popularity, so encouraging when I read about illegal persecution of birds in other parts of the Mediterranean.
It’s been great to be part of this change.
Mallorca is therefore in good hands with many people here working to conserve the wildlife of the Island.
Mike

Highlight from a day out yesterday (on a family holiday this week), at Albufera, a juv Red-footed Falcon was feeding at the back of pool 7 (Gosney

Stunning photos Clive and good to know Vagrant Emperors are still around, what a year it’s been.
I’m sure you have a Violet dropping there but StewB will confirm no doubt.
We are submitting records of all dragonfly sightings so I can send you the email address if you wouldn’t mind.
I believe some locals and myself are compiling a list and a feature article too. If we can use your photos please, that would be good.
A numbers of us Brits are meeting at 9am on Monday at the depuradora, Albufera, if you are able to join us.
Hope to see you then, Mike

Thanks Mike, I am pleased to help with any sightings records, and to contibute photos. Unfortunately I can not make it on Monday, I left yesterday to go on a vacation. I have not been very active bird-wise this year, but hope we can meet up again soon.

Yes - violet dropwing. They’re getting fairly straightforward to find now a bit later in the year. It’s not many years since they arrived (I recall Martin posting some of the first records on the forum).

Common darter too - a good find as they are well outnumbered by red-veined. (There’s no blue at the base of the eyes which would be a re-veined characteristic, and the legs have the pale lines along their length).

The vagrant emperor numbers are just extraordinary. I did a literature search for the notes I produced (thanks Mike S!) and although vagrant emperor was shown as present there were no specific details, so this year’s records are totally unprecedented. I believe that there have been large numbers on eastern Med islands too.

As Mike M says, it looks like dragonfly records are going to be gathered and collated, which I’m certain will bring a whole new perspective on Balearic Odonata. Thanks Clive!

Stew

Thanks Stew, very intersting information. Bird and butterfly photography has been main interest till now, but I am starting to take more of an interest in dragonflies, they are fascinating insects to study.

A Birding Tourists Guide to Mallorca (3rd Edition)

A Birding Tourists Guide to Mallorca (3rd Edition) is currently available.
Can be found in the Shop at Son Real or online.
Excellent guide to the best places for birding in the Island.
Reported to be enhanced upgrade of the original book
Buy it!

Attachments

• 0AA84C80-7C8D-4A07-9BE8-77F662699326.png
    0AA84C80-7C8D-4A07-9BE8-77F662699326.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back