• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (9 Viewers)

Thanks Mike, still my favourite Mallorca bird book.
Sorry you can’t make Monday Clive, especially as I have just ordered you a pie. I guess we will just have to eat in on your behalf.
I hope we meet sometime soon.
Mike

I’m not sure how many “last times” I have been to the Cap but today was absolutely definitely my last, I’m going to the UK on Tuesday for three weeks.
Today there was a magnificent male Merlín hunting with a female nearby.
The Italian sparrow is still present.
Stone Curlew and Crag Martin flew over as did lots of passerines but they were often too distant to identify.
A Gannet showed as did a Mistle Thrush.
Ring Ouzel have been seen by Jason on Massanella but that’s a long way up.
I believe some Redwings and Fieldfare have been seen but I don’t yet have details.
Mike

The BigYear is going well with four birders having reached over 200 species, and as a few competitors are near that number, quite a few more will join the magic 200 club.
I hope to improve on 8th position before the end of the year but it’s a hard slog to do well.
Mike

I caught the last hour of light at the Depuradura this afternoon. Bluethroat was the star of the show with a supporting cast of Robin, Stonechat, Marsh harrier, Green and Common sandpiper, Coot, Moorhen, Shellduck, Shoveller, Mallard, Cetti’s and Sardinian warblers. Starling numbers building up with about 300 flying around.

Afternoon visit to Maristany. Water levels very low but providing feeding opportunities for waders.
Birds seen included: Black winged Stilts, Common Sandpipers, Common Snipe, Greenshank, Kentish Plovers, Little and Great Egrets, Shellducks, Cetti warbler, Chiffchaffs.
3 Stone curlews also hiding in the islands.

Attachments

• 0EFFB615-4497-470A-8549-064270A204BE.jpeg
    0EFFB615-4497-470A-8549-064270A204BE.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 32EEAA20-63D3-4B5F-9050-917094DBA501.jpeg
    32EEAA20-63D3-4B5F-9050-917094DBA501.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 79B13B2B-2754-48DC-AD86-030EBBEC5C5C.jpeg
    79B13B2B-2754-48DC-AD86-030EBBEC5C5C.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 26DC0094-4C9E-4413-80F2-5779BB6BEBF9.jpeg
    26DC0094-4C9E-4413-80F2-5779BB6BEBF9.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
An evening seawatch at Porto Petro lighthouse held no surprises, other than despite there being little wind, the sea was very rough.
The Scopoli’s shearwaters put on a magnificent show though, wheeling over the waves and showing their diagnostic white underwing.
I was hoping for a Gannet or two but nothing else showed up.
Reports are in of several Goldcrest being seen, a difficult bird to catch up with here.
A few Brambling have also been logged, again a hard bird to see. Lluc is one of the best places as is Mortitx.
I’m hoping that there will be another invasion of Hawfinch, such an exciting species to watch. Best place is the hide at Son Real where close views can be had. It’s a great place for bird photography too.
Mike

Great day out with Geordie Dave. We started at the hide at Son Real and had at least four Hawfinch there along with Crossbill, Siskin, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Firecrest, Robin, Great tit and lots of Blackcaps.on the walk to the beach we added Cetti’s warbler, Swallows and Thelma lark. At the beach we only had Little egret, Shag and Meadow pipit.
From here we moved to the Depuradura . There we found Bluethroat. 3 Glooy ibis, Knot, 4 Hoopoe, Swallow, Cattle egret, Kentish plover, Lapwing, Stonechat, Green and Common sandpipers, Snipe, Cettis warbler, Marsh harriers and Dave spotted a Redstart.
At S’amarador later we saw Red crested pochard , Gadwall, Kestrel, Bluethroat (behind the doghouse) and the small flock of Waxbills. As we left the Starling were gathering. Probably 4 to 5 hundred.

Another great day of birding and banter in the company of Mike M, Mike S and Dave.
We met at the Depuradura at 9am. 2 Hoopoes were on the path to the parking point. From the platform we had 3 Glossy ibis, several Green and Common sandpiper, Stonechat , Swallow and Marsh harrier. We walked back down the track to view the dried out reservoir from the gate. There we saw Knot, Lapwing and Kentish plover. Mike M also picked out a Golden plover then on the way back to the cars he had a brief sighting of a Merlin which was out of sight before anyone else could get on to it.
From here we moved on to S’albufera. Here From Sa Roca hides we had Snipe, Spotted redshank, Blackwinged stilt, 3 Glossy ibis, Osprey, Kentish plover, Greenshank, Marsh harrier Grey heron, Little egret and Purple gallinule. On the way to the Cibollar hides we had Red knobbed coot on the canal then from the hide Kingfisher, 50 + Marbled duck, Cormorant, Chiffchaff Little grebe and fantastic views of the Osprey with a freshly caught fish, which we watched as it disposed of its prey right in front of the hide. Dave also picked out a female Pintail at the back of the scrape.
Other wildfowl seen around the reserve included Shoveller, Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, And Gadwall.
The last stop of the day was the hide at Son Real. We met Pere and Phil there who had just seen Hawfinch but in the hour we spent there it failed to show again. The birds we did see there included Gold and Greenfinch, Song thrush, Great tit, Meadow pipit and Hoopoe. Also a weasel appeared. On the way out Dave and I saw a group of 22 Red legged partridge in the field opposite the visitor centre,
Great day, great company.
Thanks guys.

Thanks, a great day.
I know there was some discussion about crab species but I can’t seem to find it.
I was intrigued by this large species I saw today at s’Albufera.
Mike

Attachments

• 02E2E64A-F3C9-45A1-980E-4C686ABF048C.jpg
    02E2E64A-F3C9-45A1-980E-4C686ABF048C.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 61
Son Real

It was great to meet up with you four yesterday. Thanks Mike for all your work with the forum and to all those who contribute and help make Mallorca such a great place to visit and bird. I am based in PP in Calle Faro and get out about 4/5 times a year (increasingly in winter) so maybe we will meet up again sometime.
Pere is encouraging me to come out for the ‘duck count’ in January. He doesn’t really know how bad my eyesight and ID skills are!
All the best
Phil

Thanks, a great day.
I know there was some discussion about crab species but I can’t seem to find it.
I was intrigued by this large species I saw today at s’Albufera.
Mike

Hello Mike,
I believe somebody answered you on FB. But just in case you haven't seen it, it's a Callnectes sapidus, an invasive species.

Regards,
Cristina.

Another morning visit to the Son Real Hide produced Hawfinch, Crossbill, Firecrest, Blackcap,Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Black redstart, Robin, Song thrush, Great tit and Dave had Corn bunting there before I arrived.
Later at the Depuradura we had Bluethroat, Hoopoe, Cetti’s warbler, Knot , Ruff, Green and Common sandpiper, Grey/Kentish and Little ringed plover, Lapwing and Turnstone.
From here we decided to give the new platform at Cami des Pols a try. Here we had Gadwall, Pochard, Wigeon and Great egret.
Next stop was at Albufereta which was very quiet apart from the 52 Greater flamingos viewed from the new hide.

Pleasant walk around Son Real despite the wet start to the day.
Birds seen included Audouins, Yellow legged and Black headed gulls, Little Egret, Shag, Cormorants, Turnstones, Red Legged Partridges, Sardinian warblers, Hoopoes, Thekla Larks, Song thrush, and Stonechats.

A short visit to the hide revealed further species including Great tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Crossbills, Linnets, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Robin, Blackcaps and Cetti warbler.

Hawfinch heard but did not drink at the pool.

Attachments

• 59530C5D-67E3-412E-84A6-2D1032C459A6.jpeg
    59530C5D-67E3-412E-84A6-2D1032C459A6.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 36
  • E09F0D75-DD51-4481-BA65-11C251928726.jpeg
    E09F0D75-DD51-4481-BA65-11C251928726.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 7A55EA85-2ABC-48F4-A673-9C789937642A.jpeg
    7A55EA85-2ABC-48F4-A673-9C789937642A.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 86B8FC2E-C6D1-472D-A460-BE21B37D9B24.jpeg
    86B8FC2E-C6D1-472D-A460-BE21B37D9B24.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 59
Hello Mike,
I believe somebody answered you on FB. But just in case you haven't seen it, it's a Callnectes sapidus, an invasive species.
Cristina.

Hi Mike

In case you want to read up on it.

Attachments

• American Blue crab in Balearic Islands Callinectes sapidus BIR_2018_Garcia_etal.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Crikey, thanks everyone, you are all doing a fantastic job keeping things going in my absence, much appreciated.
It was great to meet you Phil and I hope we meet up again soon. Keep in touch and let me know when you are next over.
Thanks Cristina, Stew wrote to me about the crab, I’m guessing it’s an unwanted introduced species but thanks to Martin I will be able to read up about it.
Save some Hawfinch for when I get back in three weeks, I still need it for the BigYear. I’m in sunny London at the moment with lots of fireworks going off everywhere.
Tomorrow morning I’m going to a local Country Park which used to be Elmer’s End sewage farm. I’ve spent so many happy hours there as it was one of my local patches in the 1970’s and 80’s.
I found some amazing species there so it will be interesting to see how it has developed over the ensuing years.
Mike

A very interesting paper on the invasive callinectes sapidus Martin, many thanks.
Also, the health of the Albufera reserve is referred to and made interesting reading too.
Mike

Los Tres Amigos

Wonderful day with Kevin and Dave walking through Mortitx.
Still extremely annoying that the owners or the community does not provide decent parking facilities for one of the best walking sites in Mallorca. The winery offers the chance to park inside the Valley and purchase their excellent wine, however there should be a better option.

Birds seen included Black and Griffon Vultures, Kestrels, Blue Rock Thrush, Wren, Song Thrush, Stonechats, Ravens, Chaffinch, Crossbills, Black Redstart, Blackcaps, Sardinian Warblers, and Robins.

So many chaffinches and other small passerines, however difficult to pin down.

No sign of Bonellis Eagle, Siskins, Brambling, nor Hawfinches.

Several Plain Tiger Butterflies seen.

The scenery is stunning!

Mike

Attachments

• D85E7D00-4918-42C2-9D2A-4A8D0BD46508.jpeg
    D85E7D00-4918-42C2-9D2A-4A8D0BD46508.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 650CAC06-351E-480E-AC78-CC4B3708A31E.jpeg
    650CAC06-351E-480E-AC78-CC4B3708A31E.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DE2F67F7-7977-43AD-893E-A87EDE6695F0.jpeg
    DE2F67F7-7977-43AD-893E-A87EDE6695F0.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 496F4414-E98D-4E85-A476-0AEDA0CFD821.jpeg
    496F4414-E98D-4E85-A476-0AEDA0CFD821.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back