• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ghillie Suits? Camo? (1 Viewer)

photo_luver

I have been thinking about making a ghillie suit to get even closer to the birds... i have found many sites on how to make them and sounds pretty easy...

I used to be in cadets and know ALOT about stalking and camoflauge and have been thinking about taking my camo and other gear into the bush with me?

Anyone else do this?

Check this thread on the pros and cons of camouflage:Camouflage. Personally, whilst I am trying to wear unobstrusive clothing, I always thought a Ghillie suit is a bit over the top (never mind that here in Vietnam I would find myself in serious trouble if I was spotted thus attired by the authorities). Not so long ago, I came across an American birder in a rainforest, he was wearing a bright, white, T-shirt, and so just as many birds as I did.

I rekon a Ghillie suit won't help much if you have a big, white L lens. Canon makes their L lenses white to make them stand out but I've heard that having a big white lens sucks when really stalking some wildlife.

Hi Garrett,

In it's place a well made ghillie suit is an excellent piece of kit for use in the field.

I use a variety of ghillie suits, from full suits to head/shoulder veils to basic scrim throwovers.

With your cadet background you will know that fieldcraft is the most important requirement for getting close to wildlife and wearing subdued clothing (standard fatigues for example), gloves to cover white hands and a boonie hat to conceal the face will all aid a stealthy approach to your subject.

Give it a go and see if the results justify work involved in constructing a suit.

Hello,

I read on Internet that when you are wearing a complete ghillie suit, above all during summer days, the temperature (under this kind of equipment) can climb up to about 120° F, due to thermal insulation of such a suit...

A little bit too warm to be very comfortable...

Tyler and Karl both have good points about the clothing and the lens. As I'm not a "birdwatcher" as much as I am a "photograper", I'm out to get photos, which means I have to get close - much closer than just to watch with bins or scope. And camo WILL make a great difference (in this sense camo also includes Blinds or "hides' as they call them in merry old England). I've had birds land right next to me, and birds and varmints swim right past me not 3 feet away while I was sitting on a canal bank in home-made "camo". I've even fed wild birds sitting right in my hand while camoflaged. They simply did not see me (or perhaps did not recognize me as an intruder). In fact, I've had people completely overlook my presence as well. It's rather amusing to see and hear the surprise people have when they suddenly realize they're standing 2 feet from somebody sitting out in the open taking photos and they weren't even aware of it until I moved.

Being able to take photos so close to wild creatures, as if you're just another part of nature is also a rather exilerating experience. But to accomplish this you have to consider not only your clothing, but also shoes, face, hands, head and camera gear (camera, lens and tripod, bags, etc.)

The real trick is not so much to look just like your surroundings, as it is to blend in and break up your shape/pattern (blur is perhaps a good analogy) against your surroundings. Surplus military camo clothing is a good start, and often they carry surplus camo netting you can use. Hunting/sports supplies will have camo gloves, masks/balaclavas, hats, boots and clothing. In the fall/winter, places like Walmart in the US carry blinds, camo burlap, gloves and other hunting type clothing and accessories in camo. My camera bags are actually camo bags use for duck hunting to carry gear. Works great too. If anyone is really interested, I'd be glad to share details of the stuff I use. My camera and tripod camo covering are homemade, as is my face mask and "ghille" drape, and portable blinds, but I won't bore you with such details unless there is an interest.

I should think for birding, using good stalking technique, combined with basic simple camo clothing would be an improvement over not using such. But for photography, camo (sometimes combined with a "blind") is practically a must for getting close. It simply depends on what you're after.

(I've had several inquiries since this initial post, so I've created these web pages with "how to's" and photos that cover the stuff I've made and use - http://www.outerbanksguidebook.com/ToolsIndex.htm - if this doesn't answer all your questions, then please feel free to email with specifics)

OBXGuide (Fred)
OuterBanksGuidebook.com & NCBirds.com

Last edited:
I honestly think it's the human shape that bothers wildlife the most.I wear browns;greens or dark blues and i've found that standing against the likes of a tree trunk or crouching/sitting reasonably still will allow wildlife to approach closely.

Me too, Tom - in fact as an angler, I've had birds land on me when I've been sitting quietly by the waterside.

I never wear camo when fishing - olive green mainly - but the "different" shape I present sitting down coupled with a lack of sudden movement seems to be enough.

That said, I admit I'm starting to warm to camo as I get into photography more: I do sometimes get the sense that I would get closer to my subject if my outline was more "broken up", so I'm going to give it a go one of these days.

Last edited:
Yes, you're probably right about 'camo' when it comes to photography.I think if you covered every part of you,then the motion of lifting a camera to the eye might not be noticed easily by the subject.
My best experiences of wildlife coming close are w/out trying.I mean,i've been using bins or scope then look round or down to find allsorts,even running between my feet!
Let me think..Badger;stoat;weasel;mink;red&grey squirrel;roe deer;hare;rabbit;adder;fox..even some of the larger birds like sp. hawk; jay;bl.grouse for example.

I've have just bought myself a Camo Bag Hide from Warehouse express ( £48 inc postage) As my camera has only a 10x Zoom I thought it would help me get closer to the birds. The only time I've used it ,it worked a treat. Birds were coming right up to me ( I did feel a fool, but no one can see your face..lol) Here's a pic of me in it. What a laugh...
rolleyes.gif

Attachments

• bag hide.jpg
    bag hide.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 425
LSB said:
I've have just bought myself a Camo Bag Hide from Warehouse express ( £48 inc postage) As my camera has only a 10x Zoom I thought it would help me get closer to the birds. The only time I've used it ,it worked a treat. Birds were coming right up to me ( I did feel a fool, but no one can see your face..lol) Here's a pic of me in it. What a laugh...
rolleyes.gif

No offence LSB,
But you do look a little like 'Cousin IT' out of the Adams Family. lol.

Harry

You have to be careful with ghillie suits or camoflage these days.

Apart from being shot by a hunter thinking they have some sort of movement in bushes; there's also the risk of being shot, or apprehended as a terrorist suspect especially if its close to some sensitive place (like around an airport)

Such is the way civil liberties are being eroded.

Be careful.

A blind or hide is certainly a good way to go. Hunters even use "scent proof" clothing, and other such devices to allow the animals to get closer. There are spray on scent reducers for ghillie suits as well.

One of my sons has a ghillie suit, and they certainly blend in.

I wouldn't try to make one, though. My son made his instead of buying ready-made and saved a grand total of about $70. But making it took over 20 hours!! Not a good return.

Last edited:
mrmarklin said:
A blind or hide is certainly a good way to go. Hunters even use "scent proof" clothing, and other such devices to allow the animals to get closer. There are spray on scent reducers for ghillie suits as well.

Well if you think about it for birds that really has no benefit since birds dont really have a sence of smell or taste apart from the Vulters....kind of unneeded unless you are hnting ofcourse or are going after some other animal other then a bird.

IlyaVLD said:
Well if you think about it for birds that really has no benefit since birds dont really have a sence of smell or taste apart from the Vulters....kind of unneeded unless you are hnting ofcourse or are going after some other animal other then a bird.

I've been hunting for a number of years now in full camo, and the birds I've seen on stand have gotten right up close to me. I guess they wouldn't expect a human in a tree. But also, I suspect that sitting motionless may be equally beneficial.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back