• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

E-520 with manual M42 lenses - yes or no? (1 Viewer)

Hmmm, I found this lens on web at a price about 84 Euro (VAT included). I will try to find the M42 to 4/3rds adapter...

Hi Cristian.

For that price you can buy a Pentacon 300mm f4 or for less money you will get the Tair 300mm f4.5 both these lenses have good reports from birders. The Porst seems to be of East German origin but it is not so well known. The most recommended 300mm seems to be the Nikkor AIS which will be around 100-200 euro price.

Be careful how much you spend on an old lens.

Pete

I'm not sure what you mean. What I was saying is that the chip tells you that it is in focus over a range of focal points - i.e. while you turn the ring, it continues to tell you that it is in focus for awhile. There is no way to fine-tune it to be more selective.
Sorry, I thought you were referring to using several AF sensors, and not knowing which one had decided it was in focus.

The other thing that no one seems to mention about IS is that it only seems to work with slower shutter speeds. The longer your lens, the more camera shake becomes a problem. This is when you have to choose between IS or a faster shutter speed to freeze out the shake. Seems to me you will always be better off using a faster speed, thus making the IS redundant.
I've never heard of that before, I've certainly not seen evidence of it on my Canon S3. The faster I shoot, the less motion blur there is.
Yes, you can buy a chip only and fit it yourself. I would suggest you get the latest version of the Dandelion chip.
I found a Russian site selling these, but it's all in Russian. Is that where people are getting them from, or are there resellers?

"The faster I shoot, the less motion blur there is."

Thats the point I'm making, your IS system becomes less "involved" in the process the faster you shoot.

The Dandelion is made by the Russian guys and is the best supported but you can get a Chinese copy on eBay. The guy on my link above for the "lipped" adapter does the chips too.

Pete

p.s. I just bought a complete Zenit Photo Sniper kit (uses the Tair 300mm f4.5 "monster" lens) on eBay for £52. I'll post on here when I have tested it :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back