• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in and around Berlin (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Just back from taking a group of teenagers on a week's cultural school visit to Berlin. Apart from the fact that it's an amazing city, and I wish I'd spent a few years there in my youth, the birding was interesting.
First up, the default crow there is the Hooded Crow. Second, House Sparrows are thriving, and seem to be ubiquitous and confident, as they were at home in my youth. Thirdly, nuthatches (which I'd never seen before) and GSW abound in the city parks.
But the real treat was a visit to the former Brand-Briesen Soviet Air Base outside the city. This was home to a company that built a massive free-standing dome in the nineties, in which to build cargo-transporting zeppelins. They never built a prototype and went bust. But it was bought by a Chinese-malaysian outfit that turned it into a covered tropical-island holiday park. I jest you not. Horrific, like the domes in the Sci-Fi movie 'Silent Running'. With real tropical jungle, waterfalls, swimming pools, villages, chalets, parrots, flamingoes and free-flying canaries....all inside the dome. You can go for a holiday there and never leave the dome.
I left the dome 'cos it gave me 'Nam flashbacks, and I've never been to 'Nam. The kids were safe, tropical-holidaying for a few hours, so I went birding around the former airbase (complete with abandoned camouflaged earth-covered hangars for MIGs).
I saw male hen harriers hunting and disputing territory, plus my first ever Great Grey Shrike, Woodlark and Tree Pipit. And a green woodpecker, and a host of other LBJ's that I couldn't ID. Cracking day. Around a former Soviet Airbase, transformed into a German Zeppelin Factory, transformed into a Chinese-owned Tropical Island. Sometimes I wonder if God is making this up as he goes along.

I'll have to disappoint you on the Tree Pipit: it's a few weeks early for them. My default pipit at the moment is Water Pipit (Meadow Pipits are about, but quite rare), but I don't know about Berlin (everyone tells me it's a nice city, but I've never been there).

Thanks Xenospiza! Darn. No idea what Pipit it was, then. It was the ID I was most unsure about. It was scavenging around on the ground near one of the abandoned jet-hangars, but also sang on the ground. Very, very wary of approach. Even with Canon IS 10x30 binos, I couldn't get a close enough view; it kept flying away and up to perch in trees, from where it would sing again. Then back to the ground. Area was dry, with sandy soil, no ponds or other bodies of water. Occasionally it would spook, and fly away and very high, in a huge arc, occasionally doing that falling/fluttering thing that pipits sometimes do. It wasn't a Meadow Pipit, so if not a Tree Pipit, I have no idea. I've never seen a Tree Pipit (we don't have them here), and I couldn't record the song on my phone. I'll have to let it go, but hey, I was happy with just a Nuthatch!;)
(And Berlin was fascinating...layers of history, really nice, gentle, helpful and friendly people; my new project is to learn German!)

Last edited:
However a Water Pipit wiuldn't be singin in or around Berlin, as they don't breed anywhere near
And a Meadow Pipit looks and behaves quite similar to a Tree Pipit, so I don't understand why you'd rule that out...

Maffong

However a Water Pipit wiuldn't be singin in or around Berlin, as they don't breed anywhere near
And a Meadow Pipit looks and behaves quite similar to a Tree Pipit, so I don't understand why you'd rule that out...

Maffong
Thanks Maffong. Song was nothing like Meadow Pipit. Also it perched high in trees occasionally. Maybe MP's on continent sound different to ours. Nearly everything else does, even the robins in the parks there didn't sound quite like ours!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back