• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (3 Viewers)

Another great two weeks birdin' in Majorca. Some great birds seen, 1 or 2 provoking debate which is always informative/amusing/educational/awareness etc.
Great to meet so many like minded birders of all grades all enjoying great birds in a fantastic location.
Sad to see (or hear) that Scops owl seems to have dissapeared from the Puerto pollensa area, this my second year running without a peep, when only in 2016 i used to hear them nightly.
Planning to be back in September, for some fantastic return passage. Many thanks to all. Jonathan
Back to hard earned birdin' that can only be found in Cumbria!!!

2 days on Mallorca

Albercutx tower this morning gave good views of Balearic Warbler and BR Thrush. Then the mist came down so we went to Son Bosc area. 40-50 bee eater seen and more heard. Black tern seen from tower and plenty of marsh harriers. One flyover male Monty’s harrier and numerous kestrel.
Last full day tomorrow so hopefully the birding will be good. Micky

Hi, Currently on the island with non-birding friends. Hoping to squeeze in 2 days in the field. Struggling to identify the best place to look for Balearic W. This is the first mention that I have seen in recent posts. Understand that they are currently difficult at Boquer.

Can anyone suggest a reliable location.

Many thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun, Albercutx tower is relatively reliable for BW but i think you have to go before 9:00 AM, before they get disturbed by the crowds. I was up there today between 10:00 and 15:00 monitoring migration but we did not hear or see any, but they are definitely around the tower.
I am not sure why Boquer is not good now, I think you have to go far enough towards the sea, just before the path goes down to the beach. On the left hand side after the path has gone through a small wall.
Other option would be the beach area at Son Real, near the watch tower on the right as you get to the beach from walk 3, i think.
Good luck.

Last full day birding before we leave tomorrow.
Albercutx tower this morning had balearic warbler, BR Thrush, peregrine, Eleonoras falcon and 2 Honey Buzzards which flew together.
Can Curassa had a low flying red kite and Eleonoras falcon. Got talking to a nice couple who mentioned thieves at the Bocquer yesterday. The gentleman had his wallet pick pocketed but realised straight away. He confronted the man and woman who thenhanded his wallet back. He took pictures of both scumbags and their car. He also reported this to the police. I have photos of the thieves but not sure on the forum rules so won’t upload them. However if anyone wants them I’m happy to email then when i return home.
As usual had some great birds and good banter. If i have any half decent photos i’ll post them soon. Cheers. Micky

Hi, Currently on the island with non-birding friends. Hoping to squeeze in 2 days in the field. Struggling to identify the best place to look for Balearic W. This is the first mention that I have seen in recent posts. Understand that they are currently difficult at Boquer.

Can anyone suggest a reliable location.

Many thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun. Not sure where you're based, but the El Toro area is very good for Balearic Warbler. Basically guaranteed here: https://goo.gl/maps/sq8fb2Y6Dq12

Cheers
Steve

Last full day birding before we leave tomorrow.
Albercutx tower this morning had balearic warbler, BR Thrush, peregrine, Eleonoras falcon and 2 Honey Buzzards which flew together.
Can Curassa had a low flying red kite and Eleonoras falcon. Got talking to a nice couple who mentioned thieves at the Bocquer yesterday. The gentleman had his wallet pick pocketed but realised straight away. He confronted the man and woman who thenhanded his wallet back. He took pictures of both scumbags and their car. He also reported this to the police. I have photos of the thieves but not sure on the forum rules so won’t upload them. However if anyone wants them I’m happy to email then when i return home.
As usual had some great birds and good banter. If i have any half decent photos i’ll post them soon. Cheers. Micky

Hi Micky
Can you PM me the photos? Cheers
Steve

Beat me to it Steve. This kind of thing really upsets me, several friends in Mallorca have been robbed. It has never been carried out by local people but I would do anything to see these perpetrators brought to justice. It’s a terrible thing to do and gives the Island a bad reputation. I have always felt completely safe in Mallorca and that’s how I want it to stay.
All the best, Mike

2 days on Mallorca

Hi Shaun, Albercutx tower is relatively reliable for BW but i think you have to go before 9:00 AM, before they get disturbed by the crowds. I was up there today between 10:00 and 15:00 monitoring migration but we did not hear or see any, but they are definitely around the tower.
I am not sure why Boquer is not good now, I think you have to go far enough towards the sea, just before the path goes down to the beach. On the left hand side after the path has gone through a small wall.
Other option would be the beach area at Son Real, near the watch tower on the right as you get to the beach from walk 3, i think.
Good luck.

Hi Shaun. Not sure where you're based, but the El Toro area is very good for Balearic Warbler. Basically guaranteed here: https://goo.gl/maps/sq8fb2Y6Dq12

Cheers
Steve

thanks Steve and others who have responded. I am in north of the island but will head south if get desperate.

Cheers Shaun

Just back from a lovely week in Puerto Pollensa. Last Sunday was by far the best day with Red Throated Pipit at Can Curassa, dozens of Beeeaters, RR Swallow, Honey Buzzard, wood Warblers, Redstarts etc in the Boquer.
Other than that a Roller on the LLenaire road, more Beeeaters, and a good trip to Albufera (Little Bittern, Glossy Ibis, 15 Flamingos, Moustached Warbler and 8 Whiskered Terns in a flock dropped in).
It was nice to meet Cristina briefly and share her scope to look at Stone Curlew and Wryneck.
All in all a place I never tire of, we have visited over a dozen times now.
Only 1 photo sorted so far the Red Throated Pipit

Attachments

• Red thoated Pipit_edited-4.jpg
    Red thoated Pipit_edited-4.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 178
A Honey Buzzard day in the north today, (Sunday) over 100 were logged together with a few other migrant raptors including a male Red-footed falcon.
Also two mega rare Pomarine skuas seen from Porto Colom by Maties and Pep. I hope one of them can post the photos and details, what a great find. When something rare comes into focus in the telescope, it is indescribable, the emotion is just fantastic and unforgettable. Congratulations you two, you deserve it. Mike

2 Pomarine skua

Last saturday, with the South winds, Maties and me went to Portocolom, one of the best places (with Punta de n'Amer) to see marine birds, with the hope to see shearwaters (Balearics, mediterranean and Corys), and some storm petrel (we saw 3) and skuas (we saw 1), but as every day, with the secret hope to see some of the other 3 smaller skuas. During many years we never have seen any jaeger.

This time was different, after seen a very late gannet, in the scope of Maties suddenly they appear 2 pomarine jaegers!!! about 300-350 meters from us, directs flying to the south, both together, and during infinite seconds we enjoyed the observation.

The pics are not very good qualitiy, but for me and sure it is the same for Maties, this is one of the best photo of the year!

These are the moments that make birding a so much special activity.

Attachments

• M247_ParasitPomari.jpg
    M247_ParasitPomari.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 155
Last saturday, with the South winds, Maties and me went to Portocolom, one of the best places (with Punta de n'Amer) to see marine birds, with the hope to see shearwaters (Balearics, mediterranean and Corys), and some storm petrel (we saw 3) and skuas (we saw 1), but as every day, with the secret hope to see some of the other 3 smaller skuas. During many years we never have seen any jaeger.

This time was different, after seen a very late gannet, in the scope of Maties suddenly they appear 2 pomarine jaegers!!! about 300-350 meters from us, directs flying to the south, both together, and during infinite seconds we enjoyed the observation.

The pics are not very good qualitiy, but for me and sure it is the same for Maties, this is one of the best photo of the year!

These are the moments that make birding a so much special activity.

Days of living wonder!

Got talking to a nice couple who mentioned thieves at the Bocquer yesterday. The gentleman had his wallet pick pocketed but realised straight away. He confronted the man and woman who thenhanded his wallet back. He took pictures of both scumbags and their car. He also reported this to the police.

I'm really sorry about that. I wrote a post some days ago and I reported to the police. Please keep warning all birdwatchers and other visitors you meet. I'll do it.
Cristina.

Hello again!
This morning at Son Real several Hoopoes and Woodchat Shrikes (badius, west mediterranean subspecies), some Balearic/Tyrrhenian Spotted flycatchers. A flock of about 12 Bee-eaters and Wrynecks calling. Still some orchids along the track.

Also at the hide (track number 4): Woodchat Shrike again, Turtle Dove, Nightingale, Pied Flycatcher, Corn Bunting, Sardinian Warbler, Linnets, lots of Serins, Goldfinches and Greenfinches. And of course the House Sparrows nesting in the nestbox next to the pond.

Regards,
Cristina.

Last edited:
2 days on Mallorca

Thanks to Mark Constantine, Chris Chapleo, Cristina from Gola and this forum I have had a great 2 days birding on the island. My first since 1992!

Started at Cuber y'day morning where it was only 8 degrees and windy. Saw little of consequence and could not locate moltoni's. Scops Owl calling at midday below dam was the only oddity.

Spent evening at Albufereta. This was good with drake Garganey by new hide and male Grey-headed Wag (thunbergi ) the best birds. Not sure of status of later on the island? I got a record shot which I can post when I get to a pc if necessary.

Today I started at Albercutx tower and had great views of 2 singing Balearic Warblers. Spent some time along Formentor of with Crossbills etc.

This afternoon at the back of Albufera was superb with plenty of Eleonoras. Few Bee-eaters heard and a cuckoo.

Finished back at Albufereta this evening. Garganey still present, 6 Night Herons, singing Water Rail, at least 5 Eleonoras joined by a Hobby and at late dusk a Short-eared Owl by the viewing tower perched on wall then quartering. Also huge numbers of Swifts and Swallows.

All in all an excellent couple of days.

Cheers Shaun

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back