• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Moths (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

Pretty dire here this morning with only 3 moths in the trap, single Common Quaker, Flame Shoulder and Diamond-back Moth (nfy)

pebble prominent,spectacle, muslin moth,rustic-shoulder knot, brimstone and a poplar hawk-moth.
numbers are improving hopefully.

Attachments

• poplar hawk-moth 1.JPG
    poplar hawk-moth 1.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 71
Last night should have been a decent catch in an ordinary year and indeed I did get my biggest catch so far this year - a pathetic 15 moths of ten species:

ES 1
EP 3
Garden Carpet 1
Common Pug (NFY) 2
Brimstone (NFY) 1
Bright-line Brown-eye 2
Angle Shades (NFY) 1
Cabbage 2
Rustic Shoulder-knot 1
Least Black Arches 1

Steve

28 moths of 13 species this morning. My first Rustic Shoulder-knot the highlight plus NFY Brimstone, Heart and Deart, Small Square Spot and The Miller

Last edited:
I have yet to make double figures!
Pebble prominent
White Ermine
Poplar Hawk moth
Brown Silver Lines?
A Wave of some sort - Still to get my eye in for the year
I am looking forward to LYU to bring me up to double figures!

Numbers in the trap are improving slowly; celypha lacunana is on the wing in the long grass at my local recreation ground.

Dave W

Suppose I could say it's getting better, but still very poor:
Today
Poplar hawkmoth
2 rustic shoulder knot (nfy)
flame shoulder
red twin spot carpet (nfy)
3 brimstone
white spotted pug

That's all folks.
regards,
Jono

Last edited:
A bit better (though still hard work) through May and June. The variety of species is building but numbers are awful and I've seen Common Quaker and Hebrew Character in the last week!

The patch year-list crept up to 160 this morning with my first Garden Pebble, White Ermine and Cabbage of the year.

In the garden in the last week Poplar, Eyed, Privet and Small Elephant Hawk-moths and out and about on the patch Cistus Forester on the common, Little Thorn by day around the brambles and Grey Birch (obviously in the birch woodland) as well as a late Mullein in a friend's garden.

An overnight session last Friday produced 80 species including micros from some acidic/wet grassland and birch and the weather (fingers crossed if we dodge the rain) looks like it could be worthwhile tonight so I'll be aiming to be out again.

All the best

Last edited:
I have a public (garden) event today so ran the trap last night (in London SW7) to have some moths to show - it was hardly worth the bother. Just 13 specimens of seven species:

Light Brown Apple moth x2
Diamond-back moth x1
Setaceous Hebrew Character x1
Common Swift x5
Light Emerald x1
Common Marbled Carpet x2
Pale Mottled Willow x1

Martin

25 species in and around reedbeds at Hengistbury last night - Silky and Obscure Wainscots were the best of the bunch, with only small numbers of all species, just Common Swift reaching double figures, rest being ones and twos mostly -

Common Swift
Common Pug
Knot Grass
V-Pug
Shuttle-shaped Dart
Green Carpet
Marbled Minor
May Highflier
Common Wave
Treble Lines
Common Marbled Carpet
Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet
Bright-line Brown-eye
Small Clouded Brindle
Silky Wainscot
Oak Nycteoline
Purple Bar
Clouded Border
Iron Prominent
Flame Shoulder
Rustic Shoulder Knot
Angle Shades
Buff Ermine
Middle-barred Minor
Obscure Wainscot

..and should anyone be interested, there will be another trapping session at Hengistbury on Sat 29.6, on the saltmarsh I believe - needs to be pre-booked with Rangers, costs £3, I'll send on contact details on request.

Friday night produced 88 species from some calcareous grassland to 5 MVs ran all night. I had been hoping for the first 100 species night of the year but some afternoon rain meant that the vegetation was still damp and put paid to that really. Highlights for me were Mompha miscella, Little Thorn, Orange Footman, a single Dark Swordgrass, Coronet, Alder Moth, Lunar Marbled Brown, Mocha, Maiden's Blush, Common Lutestring, Choclate-tip, Lobster and Shoulder-striped Wainscot.

Lychnis was new for the year at home on Saturday night (25 moths of 12 species), Adela croesella was on the wing by day on Saturday and a friend had his first Heart and Club on Saturday night bringing my patch yearlist to 198 species (including micros).

Just off patch, on the other side of the M5, Blomer's Rivulet and Satin Lutestring were on the wing on Friday night as was Square Spot and a very late Shoulder Stripe.

A few pictures attached from the weekend - Adela croesella; Chocolate-tip; Coronet; Green Silver-lines; and Lobster.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Adela croesella.jpg
    Adela croesella.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Chocolate-tip.jpg
    Chocolate-tip.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Coronet.jpg
    Coronet.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Green Silver-lines.jpg
    Green Silver-lines.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Lobster.jpg
    Lobster.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Paul, I'm suffering from moth envy! Actually, the relatively slow spring/summer is helping me in a way, as I feel that I'm taking in more than if I was overwhelmed by a huge variety in one hit. It's still going to take a few years for it all to sink in properly though!

Monday night was the best of the year for me so far, with about 50 macros of 27 species. I'm sure it's old hat for more experienced mothers, but I was absolutely blown away by my first Buff-tip, which is one of the coolest creatures I've ever seen. Unbelievable mimicry!

I'd be interested in opinions on what I have tentatively identified as Tawny Marbled Minor, photo attached. This was a very small moth (much smaller than any other Minor I have caught).

Flame-shoulder 4
Shuttle-shaped Dart 3
Heart and Dart 2
Peach Blossom 1
Buff-tip 1
Common Marbled Carpet 1
Vine's Rustic 4
Pug sp 1
White-point 2
Barred Hook-tip 1
Bright-line Brown Eye 2
Minor sp 8
Poplar Hawk Moth 1
Yellow-barred Brindle 3
Grey Poplar 3
Light Brown Apple Moth 1
Hoary Footman 1
Red Twin-spot Carpet 1
Burnished-Brass 1
Tawny Shears 1
Herald 1
Marbled Coronet 1
Swallow Prominent 1
Rivulet 1
Tawny Marbled Minor 1
Buff Ermine 1
Mottled Beauty 1

Attachments

• Buff-tip2.jpg
    Buff-tip2.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 68
  • Tawny Marbled Minor2.JPG
    Tawny Marbled Minor2.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 71
I'd be interested in opinions on what I have tentatively identified as Tawny Marbled Minor, photo attached. This was a very small moth (much smaller than any other Minor I have caught).

It looks a good candidate for sure, but Tawny Marbled, Rufous, and Marbled Minors cannot be separated safely without dissection, as they are all so variable (size is not really a good pointer).

Slow improvement with several new for the year moths, but still disappointingly low count, with only 21 moths this morning.
NFY;
treble lines
common white wave
common marbled carpet
red twin spot carpet
marbled minor
small square spot
silver ground carpet
cinnabar

This takes my garden total to 64 species for the year. At this point in 2012 the total was 91.
Good mothing over the weekend: Off to Greece for a few two tailed pashas et al. Kefalonia, so not too exciting nature wise, but a peaceful break nevertheless.
regards,
Jono
PS Just turned the trap on and a light emerald appeared immediately. Another nfy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back