• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May Moths 2023 (1 Viewer)

Re-posting in the correct thread! A Streamer, NFY, and a Brindled Beauty and a rather large wasp were all that was in the trap Saturday morning.

Well it hammered down with rain last night so went out to put the trap back in greenhouse at midnight. Potted up a Brimstone and Light Brown Apple that were both on the outside. On inspection in the morning found a bedraggled Hebrew Character and a Cockchafer of inside.

Today a couple of Cockchafers. As for moths a Brimstone, Muslin, Brindled Beauty, and Orange Footman. Don't think I'll bother tonight.

The only moth I’ve had in a month beneath the wall mounted halogen.😩

Attachments

• IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 6
Another rubbish trap last night with only a single Shuttle-shaped Dart present this morning.

John

Same here two Muslin, two Hebrew Characters, and a pug that flew off.

It was far better the day before with 3 Muslin, a Brindled Beauty, a couple of micros that flew off, a Pale Mottled Willow, Light Brown Apple, Waved Umber, and a Swallow Prominent. Plus cockchafer beetles.

Absolutely nothing in the trap this morning.

However, Tories were lying out of every orifice on BBCQT so at about 2315 I went out with a torch and on the tree, window and bench near the trap there were Brimstone Moth, Pale Tussock, Garden Carpet, Foxglove Pug, White-shouldered house moth, Yellow-faced Bell, Light Brown Apple Moth, and another pug I can't ID at the moment.

A Least Black Arches was the only moth in the trap on Saturday morning. However, I went to a mothing event just outside Aviemore and there were a few more moths there. The star, and target species, was a Kentish Glory, with Puss Moth, Scarce Prominent, a few Brindled Beauty and a couple of Engrailed also highlights.

Nice! Put trap out the front last night on the bases that it directly faces onto a field. Result zip, nada, nowt. Two cockchafers and an impossible caddisfly. Mind you it was damn cold last night.

Things were better last night despite the 4 Cockchafers having a rave and bouncing of the walls disturbing everything.

Single items

Iron Prominent
Spectacle
Small Magpie
Foxglove Pug
Mottled Pug
Least Black Arches
Red twin-spot carpet
Muslin

Last edited:
Things have hardly got going for me yet - should soon.
Last night just a Pale Prominent, Sh-sh Dart and two each of two common micros.

Last couple of nights have been cold. However, have had Shuttle-shaped Dart, 2 Chocolate tip, Yellow-barred Brindle, Flame Shoulder, and a bunch of Muslin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back