• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your birds of spring (1 Viewer)

mkdon

I did a thread like this in the winter and it was extremely interesting. I don't know much about birds outside of my area (eastern US) so this will be very educational (for me). What are the 5 main (or most plentiful) birds that you see in your area in the spring. It will be fun to look them up to see what they look like. Thanks for taking part.
My most plentiful spring birds are:

the american goldfinch
the american robin
the song sparrow
the northern cardinal
the mourning dove

House Sparrow
European Starling
Wood Pigeon
Black-headed Gull
Blue Tit

I live in eastern England, near farmland and half-a-mile from the coast.

Tony

I guess this will always depend on where you are, but noticeable to me this spring have been

Blackbird
Common Starling
Skylark
Yellowhammer
Blue Tit

Eastern England - further North than T0ny, further inland, edge of town, into rural.

Last edited:
Northern Ontario:
chickadees
evening grosbeaks
downy woodpeckers
hairy woodpeckers
starlings

So far.... the grackles can't be far off! :(

robin
blue tit
blackbird
chaffinch
great tit
The ones that i hear singing the most are chiffchaff,chaffinch,blackbird,robin and greenfinch

Yellowbilled kite
Lesser striped swallow (although a few stay through the winter)
Redchested cuckoo
Diederick cuckoo
Steppe buzzard

Wow! Sal, I will be heading for the encyclopedia. Thanks for adding to the thread. Any other areas willing to chip in?

Just had my first Swallow over the garden this year. There are lots of Sand Martins, Swallows and House Martins over the local river too.

My common birds in the garden at the moment are . . .
Blackbird (nesting)
House Sparrow (Ditto)
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Robin
Starling
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Carrion Crow
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Dunnock

. . . . .I think that is all the frequent visitors to our garden.

I'm only a few miles south of T0ny, on the edge of a town and have an estuary as well as the sea, also have farmland, marshland, countryside nearby. It's a good area for seeing a variety of birds, but for the absolute most common I'd add these to his list :
Common Gull
Herring Gull

Last edited:
Is there anyone from Eastern Europe or Australia who could list their 5 top spring birds? I am enjoying the returns. Thank you so far. It is also sending me to the books to check out the unfamiliar birds.

At the moment the 5 most plentiful bird species seen on the way to work are
Lapwing
Shelduck
Starling
Black headed gull
Carrion crow

At my feeders:

House Finches
House Sparrows
Northern Cardinals
Mourning Doves

But driving a short way out in the country adds:

Red=Winged Blackbirds
European Starlings
Rock Doves

I'm missing my American Goldfinches!!

And if I'm really really lucky, in the next week or so, Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks will crowd my feeders, but only for about a week.

My patch is St Marys Island in North East England , we lag behind the rest of the Uk because of our location but to date the following Migrants have been seen,
Sand martin, Swallow,Curlew Sandpiper, Whimbre,l Wheatear, Sandwhich tern, Green sandpiper, Tree pipit, White wagtail,Chiffchaff, Willowwarbler, Whitethroat, Sedge warbler,
these are summer migrants.

In my Garden (excluding fly over species)

1 Greenfinch
2 Blackbird
3 Starling
4 Blue Tit
5 = Great Tit
5 = Dunnock
5 = Collard Dove

Well, the birds I've seen the most this spring are:
every day since April 1st, I see Caspian Terns
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Common Grackle
Those are the only birds that I've started seeing in the spring and that I see a lot. I was going to include others, like Song Sparrow, American Crow, Canada Goose and Mallard, but I see those birds all year long.
marcus

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back