• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

''Orange''-crowned Warbler.....? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Despite having seen this bird numerous times over the years, I've failed miserably to see the ''Orange'' crown!

Thus 2 weeks+ago (in Oregon USA), I found this individual, yet once again without the crown, however this bird although without the requisite orange, it almost assumed a ''Blackberry-crown''. I'm thinking that this might be the nearest I'm going to get....to bringing my quest to ''fruition''. :-O

Attachments

• P1780094.jpeg   Thorny Warbler 2..jpeg
    P1780094.jpeg Thorny Warbler 2..jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 83
Despite having seen this bird numerous times over the years, I've failed miserably to see the ''Orange'' crown!

Thus 2 weeks+ago (in Oregon USA), I found this individual, yet once again without the crown, however this bird although without the requisite orange, it almost assumed a ''Blackberry-crown''. I'm thinking that this might be the nearest I'm going to get....to bringing my quest to ''fruition''

The orange crown is very rarely seen in the wild (by humans at least; the warblers themselves must see it or what’s the point?). I’ve observed it just twice (and I’ve seen lots of Orange-crowned Warblers!), in both cases at a distance of c. 12’ when I was sitting on a chair and when the bird stretched down to drink while perched on the low rim (1-1/2” h) of a water dish set at ground level.

Last edited:
The orange crown is very rarely seen in the wild (by humans at least; the warblers themselves must see it or what’s the point?). I’ve observed it just twice (and I’ve seen lots of Orange-crowned Warblers!), in both cases at a distance of c. 12’ when I was sitting on a chair and when the bird stretched down to drink while perched on the low rim (1-1/2” h) of a water dish set at ground level.

.......not unlike our Firecrest! Have observed the flame but twice within multiple sightings, I shall endeavour. :t:

I've only seen the orange crown once, when a bird was bathing. It's one of the most common coastal birds here in California too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back