• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (2 Viewers)

Maybe the addition of HT glass in a SP prism design returns minimal / negligible improvements in light transmission... with the Leica Ultravid HD+ and Noctivid the difference is hardly enough to justify the change.

That may well be the case, especially since the HT have AK prisms and all the others SP prisms.

Hermann

CJ: Allbinos figures are not consistent over time. Those figures on the SV and SF I don't find realistic. Transmission values above 93-94% for a SP prism bin indicate some kind of happy meter syndrom.

The lack of HT glass in the SF is the one thing that keeps me wanting one, personally I can see far more plumage detail in very high contrast situations with the SF, and Zeiss market the SF as Birding specific, I like it just the way it is, I tried a pair again in January when up at Cleyspy, its the one binocular that could tempt me away from my SV, in fact it very nearly did.

Might be an intentional optical design choice by Zeiss.
Shorter wave lengths of light (blue/purple) tend to bounce around more on dust particles and water vapor in the air, filtering out some of the blue light will increase contrast. Skylight/Haze filters are sometimes used in photography for that reason.

Fall-off in transmission between 500/450nm and 550/500nm:
NV: 6% (2.1%)
SV: 3% (1%)
SF: 5.2% (2.9%)
HT: 4.6% (1.4%)
UVHD+:5.8% (1.5%)
FL: 6% (4%)

All bins are within 3% difference, with HT and SF closer than I thought.
Maybe Zeiss put some kind of HT-ultra glass (there are several types*) in the SF but don't make a big deal of it.

8x42 models, Gijs measurements, 450nm value is read from diagram:

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testrapporten/Test-42mm-kijkersMEI-2011.pdf

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/wp-co...-kijkers-o.a.-de-Leica-Noctivids-mei-2017.pdf

*http://www.schott.com/advanced_opti...rials/optical-glass/ht-and-htultra/index.html

Hello,

I am of the opinion that most users could not tell the difference in light transmission between the HT and the SF, with the unaided eye. I base this on personal experience with photography. Reducing the light by half a stop, 25%, is barely noticeable on a ground glass.
Colour contrast and colour bias may be more easily discernible. Individuals' colour bias is another matter. I do not doubt that Chosun sees a brownish tint of the SF but not everyone may see it. There is also the possibility of poor quality assurance: units of the same model do vary.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
I think any middle aged person who has had cataract surgery has an appreciacion for how discolored our natural lenses become with age.

The difference was truly mind boggling for me, especially when I had one eye each way, done and not done. The natural lenses were atrocious and the implants are "crystalline" to steal a word.

This particularly affects the short end of the spectrum, and by comparing the done eye and the undone eye using a spectrum projected on a wall through a piece of crystal glass, I could see that my vision went much farther into the violet in they eye with the implant.

Just one guy's experience, and I ain't no expert.

CJ: Allbinos figures are not consistent over time. Those figures on the SV and SF I don't find realistic. Transmission values above 93-94% for a SP prism bin indicate some kind of happy meter syndrom.

I agree VB and Gijs found almost identical transmissions of 89.2 and 89.9 at 550nm for the Swaro EL and Zeiss SF respectively, with HT at 95.

Lee

I realize that Allbino's data is not the most consistent, and some form of happy meter syndrome may well be in play. Strangely I still can't access the HOO site, and so at least this provides a group set of data. From what I have seen in the past Allbino's transmission data tends to be a couple of percent higher than Gijs data ..... :cat:

Questions arise for me over the Swarovski 10x42 SV ..... it is showing blue/violet transmission above other formats in the SV family. So while 94% @425nm might be questionable, I have no doubt that it is over 90% at that wavelength, and hence useful for a comparitive trend.

Likewise the Zeiss data seems a bit screwy. The SF is not going to be that high, and the HT seems a bit low. Zeiss themselves quote 92% max for the SF, and 95% max for the HT. I'm inclined to believe those figures. What the graphs do demonstrate though is the rather 'hill-like' profile of the Zeiss bins. Compare this to some of the flatter curves from other makers. This corresponds nicely to what I observe in each of the bins listed though, and thus is of use.

You can clearly see how HT glass would be of benefit (no matter how small).

Chosun :t:

...... I do not doubt that Chosun sees a brownish tint of the SF but not everyone may see it. There is also the possibility of poor quality assurance: units of the same model do vary.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:
Hi Arthur :hi:

Not to be persnickety, but just for the sake of 'clarity' , it is the Conquest HD that I find readily brownish. As a non-smoker, and for those having never been to Mars, I think an apt description would be tea-stained. Bear in mind that my eyes are conditioned to a neutral/green biased bin, so that increases the juxtaposition effect for me.

The SF's colour cast is far more subtle to my eyes. A slight green ham tint is a pretty good approximation (10x more so than 8x). It doesn't overly wind my crank since there's a few other druthers with the bin for me ...... with the mods I have suggested though, it's oh so close to being an awesome awesome bin :t:

Each to their own though - who knows if what my hybrid David Bowie-like eyes see is applicable to other folk. :cat:

Chosun :gh:

I think any middle aged person who has had cataract surgery has an appreciacion for how discolored our natural lenses become with age.

The difference was truly mind boggling for me, especially when I had one eye each way, done and not done. The natural lenses were atrocious and the implants are "crystalline" to steal a word.

This particularly affects the short end of the spectrum, and by comparing the done eye and the undone eye using a spectrum projected on a wall through a piece of crystal glass, I could see that my vision went much farther into the violet in they eye with the implant.

Just one guy's experience, and I ain't no expert.

Fascinating stuff ! :t:

Something to look forward to in old age perhaps ?! :cat: 3:)

The normal range of visible light detection ranges from 400nm to 700nm, though some folk under certain circumstances can detect slightly outside of those ranges. Damage due to UV light is said to occur below 360nm, and ageing or yellowing of the internal lens possible below 400nm. Best to protect those new eyes :t:

It is interesting that this Wiki article references some youngsters being able to detect light down to 313nm under certain circumstances !! ...... must be great for tracking Voles through grassland! :cat:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light

Chosun, post 3151,
Some time ago I posted a review I composed of published data on "Color vision, brightness, resolution and contrast in binocular images". It is published on the Web-site of House of Outdoor. Perhaps you have seen/read it already and in that case my post is not relevant.
In figure 3 of that review I show a plot (from the book Light and life), about "lenticular yellowing as a function of the age of the eye. The photometric density of the human crystalline lens incrases for blue ligt at first slowly towards the end of the fifth decade, but thereafer at almost four times this rate " end of quotation. So you are at your age still in very good shape.
Gijs van Ginkel

Chosun, post 3151,
Some time ago I posted a review I composed of published data on "Color vision, brightness, resolution and contrast in binocular images". It is published on the Web-site of House of Outdoor. Perhaps you have seen/read it already and in that case my post is not relevant.
In figure 3 of that review I show a plot (from the book Light and life), about "lenticular yellowing as a function of the age of the eye. The photometric density of the human crystalline lens incrases for blue ligt at first slowly towards the end of the fifth decade, but thereafer at almost four times this rate " end of quotation. So you are at your age still in very good shape.
Gijs van Ginkel
Hi Gijs, yes thanks. I remember your excellent article well and recommend it to all our members here. :t:
For some strange reason, I have had difficulty accessing the HOO website by smartphone from my end ..... :cat:

I think my eyesight is coming into a bit of a sweet spot - my Myopia is gradually correcting a little. I will enjoy it until Presbyopia comes along, and then 'yellowing' after that :)

Do you have any comment to make in relation to these age related effects, or other evolutionary or physiological causes and my (and many others here) different colour casts in each individual eye (blue/green in one, golden in the other). For me this comes into play of a late afternoon. If I hadn't been scrutinizing various binoculars for colour fidelity with individual eyes I would never have discovered it ..... it was quite a surreal experience when the realisation first hit me out in a paddock one afternoon. I thought I may have slipped into some parallel dimension ! :bounce: 3:)

Chosu, post 3153,
I have a comparable discrepancy in color observation between both eyes as you describe, perhaps somewhat different in colors. In my case the explanation might be, that I have spent many hours looking through microscopes in the time that we did not have binocular microscopes, so you had to look with one eye into the microscope (high ligt intensities) and with the other eye closed or focussed on the paper next to the microscope. Since we used fairly high light intensities for the microscopic images it may have affected the differences in color observation between my two eyes. It is not very strong, but I have to be aware of it when I investigate binoculars by eye.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for that input Gijs - our eyes are truly fascinating instruments :t:

I also wonder whether there is any correlation between our acuity of each eyeball and the colour casts that they see (for those that have this condition) ?

Lately I have noticed a determined effort by my left eyeball to usurp the right eye's hitherto unquestioned dominance. As I am right-handed at sports, this has been rather disconcerting! I feel like a not particularly beneficial hybrid of Clarence the cross-eyed lion with all the grace and co-ordination of a baby giraffe! 3:) Just as well I don't do pistol shooting anymore - there'd be bullets whizzing everywhere! :eek!:

If the rest of you could hold off on bringing about the zombie apocalypse until I can get a set of updated prescription glasses that would be great! ;) :cat:

Thanks for that input Gijs - our eyes are truly fascinating instruments :t:

I also wonder whether there is any correlation between our acuity of each eyeball and the colour casts that they see (for those that have this condition) ?

Lately I have noticed a determined effort by my left eyeball to usurp the right eye's hitherto unquestioned dominance. As I am right-handed at sports, this has been rather disconcerting! I feel like a not particularly beneficial hybrid of Clarence the cross-eyed lion with all the grace and co-ordination of a baby giraffe! 3:) Just as well I don't do pistol shooting anymore - there'd be bullets whizzing everywhere! :eek!:

If the rest of you could hold off on bringing about the zombie apocalypse until I can get a set of updated prescription glasses that would be great! ;) :cat:

Perhaps an eye patch would restore order? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back