• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trittiford mill pond and the dingles bird sightings (2 Viewers)

Very brief visit to Trittiford at lunchtime: first willow warbler this spring for me (by the outflow) also chiffchaff, nuthatch, kingfisher and sparrowhawk; was hoping for sand martin but didn't see any.

Nice one Throstle! Where was the Kingfisher? Thanks.

Hi zomerset, Pretty much same place as Phil, kingfisher was calling from a bush near the outflow, as soon as I located it it flew upstream, could not find it again.

Heavy rain meant having to curtail my walk round Trittiford this morning.

2 Willow Warblers, 2 Blackcaps along with a flyover Little Egret, 2 Grey Herons and 5 Stock Doves of note before the rain came down.

2 Swallows were perched up on one of the island trees this evening before hawking for insects over the pool during my brief visit.

2 Goldcrests, 1 Treecreeper and singing Blackcap, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff amongst the usuals.

Myself and Throstle are covering the Midlands all-day bird race on Saturday 5th May. If you are interested in joining "Team Trittiford and Cole Valley" even for an hour or so, feel free to drop me a PM. Will be interesting to see what we can find on the day and a bit of fun too at the same time.

Last edited:
Evening visit for an hour from 7.15pm:

1 Common Sandpiper (flighty but eventually settling amongst the boulders)
1 Kingfisher (across the lake)
1 Green Woodpecker
1 Willow Warbler
1 Great-spotted Woodpecker
1 Little Egret
2 Grey Herons
+ usuals

Evening visit for an hour from 7.15pm:
1 Common Sandpiper (flighty but eventually settling amongst the boulders)
1 Kingfisher (across the lake)
1 Green Woodpecker
1 Willow Warbler
1 Great-spotted Woodpecker
1 Little Egret
2 Grey Herons
+ usuals

Nice one Phil! I just stopped by and saw the Kingfisher further along. Great!

Only just realised how close Trittiford is to my house, might have to start exploring it more thoroughly. I was told Tawny Owl could be seen there, can anyone confirm?

Only just realised how close Trittiford is to my house, might have to start exploring it more thoroughly. I was told Tawny Owl could be seen there, can anyone confirm?

Hi Fritz, tawny owl has been heard and seen in and around Trittiford but I have never encountered one - there again I have only very rarely been there at the right sort of time of day

See post 147 in this thread, picture of tawny taken last year but not seen subsequently. I think you just need to be in the right place at the right time.:t:

Good luck.

Hi Fritz

Have you tried Moseley Bog for tawny owls? I have also heard one in the mature trees by the pond at Sarehole Mill.

They are about as I have seen a number, or the same one more than once!, at the back and front of the flat we live in by Moseley School.

Good hunting :)

Hi Fritz

Have you tried Moseley Bog for tawny owls? I have also heard one in the mature trees by the pond at Sarehole Mill.

They are about as I have seen a number, or the same one more than once!, at the back and front of the flat we live in by Moseley School.

Good hunting :)

Thanks for your advice, I'll have to get out and have a look!

I was up again early for the dawn chorus along the River Cole. I heard the Kingfisher fly through. A Heron at Trittiford outflow caught a large fish and it took a couple minutes to get it down. Then there were a pair of Nuthatch feeding on the new buds of a tree. Great!

Quick lap round the lake in heavy rain at 6pm:

6 Swallows
4 Tufted Ducks (an additional pair)
2 Great-crested Grebes
2 Mistle Thrushes
1 Grey Wagtail (male)
1 Stock Dove
+ usuals

Morning and late evening visits:

3 Grey Herons
2 Swallows
2 Goldcrests
2 Mistle Thrushes
1 Stock Dove
1 Raven
1 Green Woodpecker
1 Sparrowhawk

A Fox was in the horse paddocks this evening and 6 Noctule Bats and 4 Pipistrelle sp Bats over the lake at dusk.

The Kingfisher has gone missing again lol. There were 2 Mistle Thrush feeding on the grass & a pair of Blackcap in the trees. Swallows over the water in the rain.

I was up early again. Just down from Trittiford I heard the call.
Yes a Kingfisher flying towards me along the River Cole.
The call got louder but I couldn't see it flying along.
So I looked straight across the river and hey presto it stopped right in front of me.
Funny enough on the same bend and trees where I've seen them stop plenty of times.
Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back