• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Removing Colour Casts (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Not really sure if this has been posted in correct forum.

My question is, how can i remove colour casts from my images? Basically im noticing a rather yellowing effect across them. This only seems to affect my digiscoped images. I use Photo Elements 2.0 and also have Photoshop 6.0.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Tom

tracker said:
Hi,

Not really sure if this has been posted in correct forum.

My question is, how can i remove colour casts from my images? Basically im noticing a rather yellowing effect across them. This only seems to affect my digiscoped images. I use Photo Elements 2.0 and also have Photoshop 6.0.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Tom
Hi Tom,

I am not very experienced with image editing, but in my experience these actions could be worth trying:
1) Image->Adjustments->Auto levels/colors
2) Image->Adjustments->Variations (then choose the one which looks best)
3) Image->Adjustments->Levels-> choose the white eyedropper and click on a detail which should be pure white.

I'll let the experts suggest more elegant tricks.

Ilkka

Hi Ilkka,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and for your suggestions.

I will spend some time reading over and experimenting with what you advise..... :)

Thanks

Tom

There are a gazillion tools for correcting color casts in Photoshop and probably other programs as well. You can use "Curves" and "Levels" on individual RGB channels. But I tend to use the "Color Balance" control.

However, you might want to try fixing the problem before you have it by doing a white balance preset through your scope with your camera. This way, the camera will do a major chunk of the color correcting for you and will do it using the information rich "raw" data from the sensor. Then you only have to do minor tweaks in your image processing program.

Hi Jay,

Ive started to discover some of the tools available. Weird, but its only fairly recently i have noticed these particular casts in my pictures.

Tweaking the white balance preset for my camera and scope is an excellent idea. I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back